June 29, 20188 yr On 6/27/2018 at 12:36 PM, Becker said: Is this the office located by the Regents International School? Yes
September 7, 20188 yr On 6/19/2017 at 5:38 PM, HHTel said: The term of validity of an IDP is down to the country you're using it in. Sorry, down to the issuing country. UK is 12 months
September 7, 20188 yr 1 hour ago, wgdanson said: Sorry, down to the issuing country. UK is 12 months Sorry, you're wrong. It's the term stated by the country you're visiting. In Thailand, for example, an IDP regardless of the issuing country is valid for 90 days. Beyond that you need a Thai driving licence.
September 7, 20188 yr 6 minutes ago, HHTel said: Sorry, you're wrong. It's the term stated by the country you're visiting. In Thailand, for example, an IDP regardless of the issuing country is valid for 90 days. Beyond that you need a Thai driving licence. https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit. Read this.....valid for 12 months. But the Thai authorities say that if you are here more than 90 days, you must get a Thai license.
September 7, 20188 yr 5 hours ago, wgdanson said: https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit. Read this.....valid for 12 months. But the Thai authorities say that if you are here more than 90 days, you must get a Thai license. I think that's pretty much what I said. Just saying that although it's 'valid' for 12 months, each country may or may not have restrictions on it's use. You could come for a 3 month visit in say January and use your IDP. Then come again for another 3 month visit in October and use the same IDP.
September 8, 20188 yr 9 hours ago, HHTel said: I think that's pretty much what I said. Just saying that although it's 'valid' for 12 months, each country may or may not have restrictions on it's use. You could come for a 3 month visit in say January and use your IDP. Then come again for another 3 month visit in October and use the same IDP. Correct Sir.
November 7, 20187 yr For those planning a vacation in Europe the IDP used in Republic of Ireland Spain and Cyprus is different to France and Italy There is yet another IDP for Brazil and certain other countries. Google is your friend. As others have noted online versions are no better than degree mills and when push comes to shove you have no valid insurance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit Some higlights for those planning a honeymoon in Rio or Bagdad The 1926 Convention on Motor Traffic is the older IDP Convention. It is only required in Iraq, Somalia[ and Brazil. International Driving Permits according to the 1926 Convention on Motor Traffic are also valid in Liechtenstein and Mexico The current parties to the 1949 Geneva Convention are listed below.[18] These jurisdictions issue International Driving Permits. Asia, Oceania (19) Australia, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Fiji, Hong Kong(China), India, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand Americas (15) Argentina, Barbados, Canada, Chile, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Paraguay, Peru, Republic of Dominica, Trinidad and Tobago, United States of America, Venezuela Europe (36) Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of San Marino, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, Vatican City (Holy See) Middle East, Africa (32) Algeria, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Côte d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Ghana, Israel, Jordan, Kingdom of Lesotho, Lebanon, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Republic of South Africa, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Zimbabwe Happy Motoring, once you have a chauffeur you never go back.
December 26, 20187 yr On 6/18/2017 at 3:31 PM, KhunBENQ said: True, that fits what I know. No IDP and no border crossing. Multiple statements confirming in a couple of similar threads. I try to find a reference... That should be enough: https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/ Explicitly saying " FIVE -YEARS THAI DRIVING LICENSE". Hi. It mentions a letter from the Embassy. I am basically doing a renewal (I travel a lot, so I need the International) and since I have a YELLOW tabien baan with my name in it, I wonder if that would suffice rather than the Embassy letter? Any thoughts?
December 26, 20187 yr 1 hour ago, apalink_thailand said: Hi. It mentions a letter from the Embassy. I am basically doing a renewal (I travel a lot, so I need the International) and since I have a YELLOW tabien baan with my name in it, I wonder if that would suffice rather than the Embassy letter? Any thoughts? It doesn't say 'letter from Embassy', it says 'residence certificate from ...'. With most DLT's a yellow house book will be accepted, but I very much doubt all will do so. Edited December 26, 20187 yr by stevenl
December 26, 20187 yr 29 minutes ago, stevenl said: It doesn't say 'letter from Embassy', it says 'residence certificate from ...'. With most DLT's a yellow house book will be accepted, but I very much doubt all will do so. Unfortunately true. At my office no problem (specially for the renewal/extension). From reports here it seems in Pattaya they DON'T accept yellow book (against all logic). An alternative would be a certificate from immigration, where again different procedures/rules apply. Some immigrations will only issue if you have a proof that it is required from DLT. Silly but TiT.
January 15, 20197 yr On 6/19/2017 at 6:33 PM, Rdrokit said: Can't believe all the useless posts here. I will repeat my question again. CAN YOU GET A IDL WITH A TEMPORARY 2 YEAR THAI DRIVERS LICENSE. No! If you took the trouble to read the responses you would understand that there is no such thing as an international drivers license, an IDL as you call it, period! You may be able to obtain an international driving permit (IDP) in accordance with the terms of the Geneva Convention based on a Thai license as it relates to here in Thailand. I suggest you go to your nearest Land transport Office and ask.
January 15, 20197 yr How can anybody fall for this International Driving License scam. I went to their website and if you need rush service for $5 dollars extra they will send your license as a PDF file to print out at home. Why not go to photo editor and just make your own. Sure to fool the police.
January 16, 20197 yr On 6/19/2017 at 4:43 PM, Dap said: Can I ask where you acquired your International Drivers License? The UK issued ones run out after 12 months and I think you can only use them for up to 90 days in Thailand in any case?
January 17, 20197 yr On 1/15/2019 at 4:58 PM, Toosetinmyways said: How can anybody fall for this International Driving License scam. I went to their website and if you need rush service for $5 dollars extra they will send your license as a PDF file to print out at home. Why not go to photo editor and just make your own. Sure to fool the police. Not a good idea to assume ignorance on the part of the RTP, it could easily backfire on ya'.
January 18, 20197 yr The point I was making was why pay 54 dollars for a home made illegal lisence when you can do it yourself.
Create an account or sign in to comment