Thai Junta Chief Leaves For Hajj

Jai Dee

Thai junta chief leaves for Hajj

BANGKOK: Thailand's Muslim junta leader has left Bangkok to make a pilgrimage to Mecca, joining millions of people from around the world in the annual Hajj, officials said on Friday.

General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the first Muslim to head the army in this Buddhist nation, left the Thai capital Thursday and is scheduled to return on January 7, according to a Government House official.

The pilgrimage to Mecca is one of the five pillars of Islam, and is an obligation for all Muslims at least once during their lives if they can afford to do so.

Sonthi left the country before a security meeting early on Friday between army-installed Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and the military to discuss the possible return to Thailand of deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Sonthi led the September coup that toppled Thaksin's government while the billionaire premier was in New York.

Since then, Thaksin has been living in self-imposed exile abroad and is currently staying in Beijing.

On Tuesday, the finance minister said the Bank of Thailand would file corruption charges against Thaksin after the junta's graft-busters found two cases of fraud involving the former prime minister.

Following the announcement, Thaksin's legal advisor, Noppadon Patama, said the deposed leader was ready to return to Thailand to defend himself.

Source: AFP - 29 December 2006

Wow - So Sonthi is a Muslim.

I would like to know just how many people knew that! I have asked the 6 people in my office, 4 or which are Thai, and not one of them knew he was muslim. One of them knew that he helped Muslims a lot but they didn;t know that he was actually Muslim.

QUESTION: IS THIS COMMON KNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE SIMPLY MISSED, OR WAS THE FACT KEPT QUIET DURING THE COUP????

QUESTION: IS THIS COMMON KNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE SIMPLY MISSED, OR WAS THE FACT KEPT QUIET DURING THE COUP????

1. Stop typing all in caps, it makes you look like a nut who has trouble expressing himself.

2. In answer to your question, I don't think the average person really cares. With the exception of the odd radical noisemaker, and those brave warriors in the south who will stand toe to toe in battle with an empty school, most muslims in SE Asia are pretty laid back and don't really stand out.

yes, smart political move, no doubt

about the fact of him being a Muslim - well documented fact indeed. in fact, it was well publised that the very reason he was made a Chief Commander, the first ever muslim entitled to this position - was especially for the purpose of solving S. Thailand problem.

BTW it was Thaksin who's made him such, with royal endorsement of course.

and right after the coup it has been widely discussed in Thai and international media, as very related to the very reason of coup itself - that Thaksin wasn't able to solve South problem, and therefore new government under supervision ov CNS must do it.

1. Stop typing all in caps, it makes you look like a nut who has trouble expressing himself.

2. In answer to your question, I don't think the average person really cares. With the exception of the odd radical noisemaker, and those brave warriors in the south who will stand toe to toe in battle with an empty school, most muslims in SE Asia are pretty laid back and don't really stand out.

You are of course right and I think it's also quite correct that the average person doesn't care.What surprises me a little is that the OP claims that Sonthi's religion was somehow kept hidden in the coup aftermath.It does make me wonder whether some of us bother even to take a quick glance at the English language press or at the excellent service provided by JaiDee on this forum. I do think in terms of political discussion on this forum, to the extent we are allowed it, is hampered by the fact that it is like being in a class comprising of graduate students down to infants! I'm always surprised by the number of expatriates, admittedly mostly relative newcomers, who take the propaganda of the Thai establishment at face value. Not really sure what to do about this.On Sonthi there was incidentally no connection between his role in the coup, his religion and the problems of the deep South.

Finally I agree your proposition that Muslims in SE Asia are generally laid back with the caveat that we shouldn't be complacent.The radicalisation of some Muslims in Indonesia, particularly Java, has been rather alarming in recent years.

You are of course right and I think it's also quite correct that the average person doesn't care.What surprises me a little is that the OP claims that Sonthi's religion was somehow kept hidden in the coup aftermath.It does make me wonder whether some of us bother even to take a quick glance at the English language press or at the excellent service provided by JaiDee on this forum. I do think in terms of political discussion on this forum, to the extent we are allowed it, is hampered by the fact that it is like being in a class comprising of graduate students down to infants! I'm always surprised by the number of expatriates, admittedly mostly relative newcomers, who take the propaganda of the Thai establishment at face value. Not really sure what to do about this.On Sonthi there was incidentally no connection between his role in the coup, his religion and the problems of the deep South.

Finally I agree your proposition that Muslims in SE Asia are generally laid back with the caveat that we shouldn't be complacent.The radicalisation of some Muslims in Indonesia, particularly Java, has been rather alarming in recent years.

Apologies in advance for a quick off topic, but the radicalization of Muslims anywhere is hardly a surprise considering the actions of several western countires against their coreligionists. I would fully expect more radicalization if our governments continue their questionable foreign policies. I hope however, that Thailand can now address its own problems down south and distance itself from the "war on terror"'

Apologies in advance for a quick off topic, but the radicalization of Muslims anywhere is hardly a surprise considering the actions of several western countires against their coreligionists. I would fully expect more radicalization if our governments continue their questionable foreign policies. I hope however, that Thailand can now address its own problems down south and distance itself from the "war on terror"'

With the greatest possible respect what you say doesn't make a lot of sense..The radicalisation of Islam was nothing to do with the actions of Western governments.The various terror attacks on US embassies in Africa culminating in 9/11 were well before the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.I am afraid that as far as the Wahabi influenced Islamic radicals are concerned the main enemy is not so much the US as the feudal monarchies in the Middle East.The intention is to establish a mediaeval caliphate.This is not the place for a discussion but again with the greatest possible respect do a lttle research before coming up with these naive interpretations.

With the greatest possible respect what you say doesn't make a lot of sense..The radicalisation of Islam was nothing to do with the actions of Western governments.The various terror attacks on US embassies in Africa culminating in 9/11 were well before the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.I am afraid that as far as the Wahabi influenced Islamic radicals are concerned the main enemy is not so much the US as the feudal monarchies in the Middle East.The intention is to establish a mediaeval caliphate.This is not the place for a discussion but again with the greatest possible respect do a lttle research before coming up with these naive interpretations.

I was recently on Lombok with my brother (and 2 freaked out Thai girls) where a crowd started to gather that was going to get very physically unfriendly.. Chanting, threatening, fist waving, etc rapidly spiralling out of control.

Thier impression was not 9/11 or Afghanistan.. It was the continuing financial and economic support of Isreal, and total ability to look at a one sided picture while 9at tthe time we were there) Israel used western supplied munitions to practically destroy Lebanon. This continued support both tactical tactical and political on the world stage has not gone unnoticed.

I am not in any way about to defend radical Islam, however these are fairly simple cause and effect type things and western foriegn policy has for a long time dictated to others what we want done, don't expect them to be happy about it.

I was recently on Lombok with my brother (and 2 freaked out Thai girls) where a crowd started to gather that was going to get very physically unfriendly.. Chanting, threatening, fist waving, etc rapidly spiralling out of control.

Thier impression was not 9/11 or Afghanistan.. It was the continuing financial and economic support of Isreal, and total ability to look at a one sided picture while 9at tthe time we were there) Israel used western supplied munitions to practically destroy Lebanon. This continued support both tactical tactical and political on the world stage has not gone unnoticed.

I am not in any way about to defend radical Islam, however these are fairly simple cause and effect type things and western foriegn policy has for a long time dictated to others what we want done, don't expect them to be happy about it.

Osama ben Laden and Al-Quaeda have never been much interested in Israel or the fate of the Palestinians.Nor were the Bali bombers.But for some people it's useless to point this out.

Well put.