Suvarnabhumi Stand-off: Airport claps back after being called ninth worst

webfact

I never had problems so far, using Thailand Elite's priority line - however I had some people arrive by Economy class and I waited for them nearly 1 hr 30 after they landed. It's now standard policy, when someone tells me that their flight lands at 21:00, I show up at 22:00, and still have to wait.

Problem #1: Economy immigration queues are way too long and sometimes can take an hour. Singapore has a similar problem too. Solution: Manning the goddam desks.

Problem #2: A lot of taxi drivers use the meter to park a hat rather than actually metering the fare. Solution: Have some soldiers check the whole thing, with severe penalties for cheating drivers.

Problem #3: The food is of extremely low quality in the business lounges: Selection is bad, and what looks like orange juice is actually a sugary drink. Even Thai airways served me sugar when I asked for orange juice. Solution: Just offer real food instead of sugar.

Problem #4: The business lounge, especially in the evening, is overcrowded and there's nowhere to sit. Solution: Just make it bigger.

Every airport in the world will give you service according to what ticket class you have - obviously, people who pay more for the premium ones will get more services. It's like that everywhere.

Edited by SiamBeast

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how these evaluations are made....what are the benchmarks. My worst experiences have been in LA.  Also the service is dependent on the clas you are traveling. I've had experiences on economy, premium economy, business, and First Class.  That ticket class is the major determinate factor. 

Just get near a check-in and if you are holding a First Class ticket that can be seen you will be approached by an airline employee and be given priority in every manner until you leave the destination airport.  It doesn't matter how incompetently the airport functions.

On 6/19/2017 at 0:29 PM, webfact said:

In a Thai statement published on its Facebook page, Suvarnabhumi Airport called the survey unreliable and its methods unscientific.

Well, it would. The opposite would apply had the review met Suvarnabhumi's own opinion of its merits.

And claps back? I thought they had applauded the review.

On 6/19/2017 at 0:39 PM, Lammbock said:

The Suvarnabhumi Airport is not that bad. They just need to get the immigration queue for economy travelers under control and offer better food selection in the Thai Air lounges.

Agree. I've never had real issues or problems and have had many quick and pleasant departures and arrivals at Suvanabhumi. We can only go on our own experiences.

3 hours ago, nodomino said:

I wonder how these evaluations are made....what are the benchmarks. My worst experiences have been in LA.  Also the service is dependent on the clas you are traveling. I've had experiences on economy, premium economy, business, and First Class.  That ticket class is the major determinate factor. 

Just get near a check-in and if you are holding a First Class ticket that can be seen you will be approached by an airline employee and be given priority in every manner until you leave the destination airport.  It doesn't matter how incompetently the airport functions.

One of my worst experiences, arrival and departure was flying business class to and from LA.

What they do not understand in this country is the general impression. 

How many times did I complain about something and the staff listening immediately put the blame on somebody else. In a restaurant it is the kitchen (if addressed to the service staff), at a cashier in a department store it is the sales staff which did not change the price stickers etc. etc. 

Swampy Intercontinental is in general a poor show; after a 10+ hours flight you end up queueing for frigging 90 minutes at immigration to face a grouchy officer barking questions at you in a language which should be English. You claimed your luggage and hunt for a taxi, queueing again, Somchai fighting with Somsak over something while the only thing you want, upon leaving an aircraft is to get to the hotel/home for a shower. 

The departure is likewise hilarious; you never know what to expect. You get dropped off at the departure level when an idiot in a rented "rent-a-cop" uniform whistles full steam into your ear and shouts that you cannot park here (all the while a Thai VIP is parked across the zebra crossing without whistling); the next hurdle is the immigration where you sometimes fly through and sometimes you inch your way like a snail. 

Bottomline is the general impression and that is reflected in such survey results. 

The only real issue I have is with car parking or rather the lack of it. Having to park blocking other cars and then having to have the hand brake off is dumb. I'm talking about the car parks adjoining the terminal which I thought were supposed to be for short term parking.

Wow , what other airports do you use . BKK is up there in the top half dozen , yep your in Thailand [emoji1242] they speak Thai. When a whole heap of jumbo type planes [emoji574]️ arrive at once yes it's slow . Relax your in Thailand [emoji1242], remember why you came . Wind your watch back a few hours and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

12 minutes ago, tso310 said:

The only real issue I have is with car parking or rather the lack of it. Having to park blocking other cars and then having to have the hand brake off is dumb. I'm talking about the car parks adjoining the terminal which I thought were supposed to be for short term parking.

Ah yes. The Thai national refrain: "That's not how it was  supposed to be, Who canI blame? Duh".

27 minutes ago, Trumpish said:

Ah yes. The Thai national refrain: "That's not how it was  supposed to be, Who canI blame? Duh".

Perthaps you could blame yourself for living or visiting a foreign country towards which you manifest such aversion and despice against it's society and infrastructures ?:smile:

Edited by observer90210

44 minutes ago, tso310 said:

then why not take the train on going to the airport and Uber when back with luggage?

14 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Perthaps you could blame yourself for living or visiting a foreign country towards which you manifest such aversion and despice against it's society and infrastructures ?:smile:

Cart before horse, which should have been obvious. When I first arrived, I fell under the same counterfeit spell. After about 3 years I began to realise the way things are as opposed to the way I thought things were. Massive mistake really. I got it wrong. I drank the Kool Aid.

Now I don't, I've learned from experience by watching and wondering and comparing and asking 'why is it so?'.

Tell you what. rather then have some mod delete the post for some contrived reason, how about we speak again in 5 years, and see how much you've changed your view after learning how to pay better attention? What say you? Observer by name, Observer by nature? My impression is not.

Of course we'll have to agree contact details because I doubt TV will still be here in 3 months, let alone 5 years.

I'm still curious we these people are from . Where they have such great airports . Australia [emoji1037] nearly 3rd world England , Heathrow nightmare. Smoking banned almost everywhere in the world .Buying food or drinks at an airport. Everywhere in the word twice the price as the city . Yes BKK has its busy time slots , but many times straight through . Clean tidy , well sign posted . For the people that get off a 12 hour flight and start complaining about everything to the airport workers . Do you really expect them to smile back at you ?

1 hour ago, Trumpish said:

Cart before horse, which should have been obvious. When I first arrived, I fell under the same counterfeit spell. After about 3 years I began to realise the way things are as opposed to the way I thought things were. Massive mistake really. I got it wrong. I drank the Kool Aid.

Now I don't, I've learned from experience by watching and wondering and comparing and asking 'why is it so?'.

Tell you what. rather then have some mod delete the post for some contrived reason, how about we speak again in 5 years, and see how much you've changed your view after learning how to pay better attention? What say you? Observer by name, Observer by nature? My impression is not.

Of course we'll have to agree contact details because I doubt TV will still be here in 3 months, let alone 5 years.

Thanks for the sensible answers!!!

Well sir,  to stick to the horses to please you, I guess in life one cannot have the horse and the carridge for the price of the horse!

My dynamics towards  Thailand are  perhaps a bit different then yours.

I go there, enjoy the fun and social interactions with those (falsely or sincerely) open and friendly, the food, the climate, the shops in BKK and a bit of the booze and hanky panky, but not all year around.

Have left backup for regular use during summer here in Europe as the winter here is hell, my situation is perhaps different then yers and will remain similar in 5 or 10 years!

But if I am not much of an Observer by your standards, so be it. I hope to be however to be somewhat aware or an "awarer" .-), and have planted a my tent in Thailand with full conscience that nothing would work as per my habbits, culture or standards here in Europe.

But when I also start to complain in Thailand, I quickly give a think of the situation back home...that is either similar or worse in some issues. 

I am aware that for many Thai's and...and  farang business professionnals in Thailand,  expats/tourists seem to be plainly walking ATM's. I have also had my lot of unpleasent business issues with the Thai's on petty matters, and with foreigners in Thailand on slightly larger scale stuff. So I am fully aware that it is not Disneyland©...but with a few precautions, patience, one can reasonably avoid getting ripped off as this is the most annoying for anybody.

As for love:heart_001: with good or bad sex my dear fellow, I have no intentions or illusions either in Thailand or in my homeland, I just enjoy when I get lucky, enjoy while it lasts and then it's next!!!:crazy:

I have a golden rule in life - if I don't like it - I just leave it (quietly)....should it be in a bar, in friendship, love, house or travel or whatever....

but allow me 2 last questions....

But I still wonder, what on earth went wrong in your case? - And what makes you say that TV won't be around in three months?

Edited by observer90210

She wanna boom isn't as bad as what the ranking is. Try getting in and out of LAX, add an extra 20 minutes at least just for traffic. Do wish they would bring the sushi place back, that was a great place to kill the time.

1 hour ago, Blinky62 said:

I'm still curious we these people are from . Where they have such great airports . Australia emoji1037.png nearly 3rd world England , Heathrow nightmare. Smoking banned almost everywhere in the world .Buying food or drinks at an airport. Everywhere in the word twice the price as the city . Yes BKK has its busy time slots , but many times straight through . Clean tidy , well sign posted . For the people that get off a 12 hour flight and start complaining about everything to the airport workers . Do you really expect them to smile back at you ?

erm. I don't think I quite got that but I'm sure it was important. Could you write again in simple English?

1 hour ago, Blinky62 said:

Ps they speak Thai here , do you really think they have people on standby to speak every language, same when Thai people travel .

They'll have to learn because in 20 years, the whole world is going to speak Thai. Mr Prayuth says so... so it must be right... woohoo!

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Thanks for the sensible answers!!!

All my answers are sensible, if you don't happen to like them, that's your problem, not mine. Not to be too abrupt, but 'sensible' is a subjective view. My dog. for example would consider  my posts very un-sensible, but the lad down the road thinks they're spot on. He's Thai so I don't take much notice of what he thinks, though I'm always polite. If he ever shows signs of wanting to learn something then I can review my opinion. I can be useful to him in several subjects but I'll not hold my breath while waiting for him to want to learn anything except how to impress his friends on Fateboo.

But I still wonder, what on earth went wrong in your case?

I stopped drinking the Kool Aid and started seeing how things are, not as I had been told they are (mainly by Thais, who all think they're wonderful). It was a natural process that started when I started to notice how Thais were actually behaving when they weren't trying to impress someone. Mainly very stupid and surpassingly self-absorbed and  ill-mannered.

And what makes you say that TV won't be around in three months?

I won't provide details in public. Lets just say I pay attention. I am however prepared to take modest bets.

Edited by Trumpish

6 minutes ago, Othello said:

Didn't he say all Thais will speak English too??

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't remember - probably. If so then I had probably already given up expecting to hear something sane - or perhaps I was too occupied in laughing. TBH, I think I gave up after the lingua franca bit. Limit to everything.

Edited by Trumpish

On Sunday morning I arrived  at Terminal 3 Heathrow from Prague. At 8am the Immigration queues were extremely lengthy. I arived back in Bangkok yesterday morning at 9.30 am and Immigration was a breeze-just 2 people in front of me.
Yes, it can take longer than that but never as bad as Heathrow- please, give Swampy a break.

But....I arrived at 7.30am on Saturday and you couldn't even get into the immigration hall. It should function at its busiest, not just when it's quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, skorp13 said:

She wanna boom isn't as bad as what the ranking is. Try getting in and out of LAX, add an extra 20 minutes at least just for traffic. Do wish they would bring the sushi place back, that was a great place to kill the time.

She wanna boom :smile:

On 6/19/2017 at 0:39 PM, Lammbock said:

The Suvarnabhumi Airport is not that bad. They just need to get the immigration queue for economy travelers under control and offer better food selection in the Thai Air lounges.

I agree with you. When I first started coming to Thailand after it opened up I found it quite huge and always a long way to travel to get to Immigration. But now it is not so bad with all the Walkways. They have plenty of shops and I don't have trouble finding anything that I need, although I don't tend to shop a lot at airports anyway.

This airport also offers Priority Immigration, for Business Class, which in my case speeds up things. The only negative thing I have noticed lately is that Immigration is not near as friendly this year and as they used to be. I think this needs to change if they want people to come back. With all my Visas and Entry Permits in order and my Passport full of Thai Stamps and lving here a long time, they seemed to be negative about them all, and even asked me several other questions related to my Visa, which they should know from reading it in my passport, which I did not appreciate. 

But all in all I would rate this airport in the top 10, and not the top worst. Try a stop in Ethiopia, and see if you can find a chair there? Going through Baggage Check is a Bloody Nghtmare there, and the Officers are so rude. The only place which won't allow you to keep even one lighter. They will take your Duty Free Liquor away on you to, as you are not allowed to carry this much liquid on Carry On. Even when it is sealled. I saw a lot of pissed off passengers and because of just that.   

Finding your Gate there is a Nightmare in itself to. They will keep changing your gate and most times it is unannouced or show up unchanged on the big board. I am a seasoned traveller, and most times I am confused when I go there to. Last trip there I was given Gate 13. When I got through the only Baggage Check I saw 2 signs pointing the way. Gate 1 to 12 on the left side. Gate 14 on the right side. I never saw Gate 13 anywhere and even after checking them on both sides. There was no Gate 13 or at least a sign that said so.

But lucky for me I had Business Class and found a Business Class Lounge I could board from. The Bus picked me up there. To top it off when I got on the airplane somebody else was sitting in my seat. To make matters worst somebody else was standing there wanting that same seat as I did. When we each checked each others tickets we both had exactly the same seat number. Go Figure? Lucky for us they had extra seats in Business Class or we would be standing. So if you want to talk about confusion then there you go. It has been like that all three times I have gone there so far to. I never had problems like this in Thailand.