Transfer retirement extension etc. to new passport

Cannot find related topic. I am in Perth and will be getting a new passport while I am here. Will then require to transfer my visa and extension before returning to Thailand. Anyone done this before or can point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

Moved to here.

You will not be able to have anything transferred while still in Australia.

You will use both passports on entry to the country to use the re-entry permit in your old one and be stamped into the country to the date your extension expires in the new passport.

Then you will need to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred. 

2 hours ago, patongphil said:

Will then require to transfer my visa and extension before returning to Thailand.

The transfer of you extension of stay and re-entry permit stamps as well as a notation regarding visa information is done only by immigrations. Not something that a Thai embassy can do. (You didn't mention a re-entry permit ... hopefully you have one. You should put the re-entry permit number on the arrival card you use when you return to Thailand).

You'll be stamped in on your new passport after showing both passports at the airport. Then you need to visit your immigrations office to do the transfer,

Application form:  file:///C:/Users/dell/Downloads/5926ab6c8f4d1_Tranferstampsnewpassport.pdf

Bring along signed photocopies of the new passport ID page & entry stamp and any relevant pages from the old passport.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I'm essentially in the same situation so would ask guru Ubonjoe (if he knows) the following:

(1)  There's a form online (which doesn't seem to have a TM number) titled Subject Transfer Stamp To New Passport.  I'm presuming that's the right form to use?

(2)  Are you aware of any time limit (from the date of getting the new passport or returning to Thailand if obtained elsewhere) for getting the transfer of the stamps accomplished?   

44 minutes ago, CMBob said:

I'm essentially in the same situation so would ask guru Ubonjoe (if he knows) the following:

(1)  There's a form online (which doesn't seem to have a TM number) titled Subject Transfer Stamp To New Passport.  I'm presuming that's the right form to use?

(2)  Are you aware of any time limit (from the date of getting the new passport or returning to Thailand if obtained elsewhere) for getting the transfer of the stamps accomplished?   

Sorry the link I put in my post #4 above didn't work  

There are links to application forms posted by UbonJoe ... third post down in this thread linked below ... form "Transfer Stamps To A New Passport" ...   click on "immigration templates"  just below here and it should get you there.

Edited by Suradit69

While we're talking visas and old passports.   How old was your passport when you last departed Thailand, patongphil?  I know countries won't let you in if you have less than six months left on a passport, but will Thailand let you in if your passport is due to expire during or soon after your intended stay?

Arrive in January say with a passport that expires 12 months later, in the following January.  You intend to stay until December.  Any problems on entry or during the extension of stay / 90 day reports?   Seems like our 10 years passports are only really good for 8.5 or 9 years otherwise.

As always the advice of Ubonjoe is absolutely correct. I did exactly this in May 2017.

as he has stated show BOTH passports at passport control...Have OLD passport open to page with your re-entry stamp on it --------YOU DO HAVE A RE-ENTRY STAMP DONT YOU ????-

On the arrivals card where it asks for VISA # ...place the re-entry stamp number.

When I returned to thailand in May 2017 I arrived on 3rd may and my extension to stay was due to be re-newed on 6th may. The immigration officer was a  little perplexed when I handed him the 2 passports...he finally stamped me in and said " stay only 3 days"  to which I replied YES --I go Immigration tomorrow. he seemed surprised almost like he was waiting for me to dis-agree.

Went to my local immigration office ( udoin thani) on 5th may and had stamps transferred to new passport, obtained new permission to stay ( based on retirement) and new re-entry stamp all done within 1 hr. Painless and efficient ( as long as you have all the necessary paperwork and documents).

1 hour ago, moojar said:

Arrive in January say with a passport that expires 12 months later, in the following January.  You intend to stay until December.  Any problems on entry or during the extension of stay / 90 day reports?   Seems like our 10 years passports are only really good for 8.5 or 9 years otherwise.

No problem for entry to the country.

The only problem you might have is if you are applying for a one year extension of stay. If you don't have 12 months of validity remaining on your passport the extension will will only be issued to the date your passport expires.

Had mine done yesterday.  Following Ubonjoe's advise you also need to copy old an new passport.   Upon arrival at Suvarnaphumi Airport Immigration told me that they don't do it but it has to be done at the same immigration office where the previous stamp was put in the old passport.  It took about 1 hour and they make about 8 other stamps in your new passport prior to the visum-stamp. 

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only problem you might have is if you are applying for a one year extension of stay. If you don't have 12 months of validity remaining on your passport the extension will will only be issued to the date your passport expires.

Agree.  Thailand used to require 6 month validity for entry (Thai Embassies still do I believe when applying for a Thai Visa other than O-A, which is longer because it allows a one year permission to stay on arrival), but now when entering, Immigration only requires the passport be valid for the period of stay.

6 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Agree.  Thailand used to require 6 month validity for entry (Thai Embassies still do I believe when applying for a Thai Visa other than O-A, which is longer because it allows a one year permission to stay on arrival), but now when entering, Immigration only requires the passport be valid for the period of stay.

Those from some countries still require 6 months of passport validity. Most of those from countries that qualify for the standard visa exempt entry scheme only need a passport valid for their length of stay.

Not sure about  your country, but for  Americans you will be given a form letter along with your new passport when it is given (at least at the embassy in  Bangkok).

Probably does not pertain to your question, but just for info to Americans here in Bangkok.

You take that form letter to CW immigration and they either transfer your visas or make a notation in your new passport that their is an active visa in your old (canceled) passport that is still valid.

I have done it before.

2 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

You take that form letter to CW immigration and they either transfer your visas or make a notation in your new passport that their is an active visa in your old (canceled) passport that is still valid.

The do not transfer visas. The will only transfer stamps they have done.

They will only do a stamp with info about your old passport and the visa used for entry to country that allowed the entry you have been extending.

Thanks for all replies and help. Looks like I should be fine with new passport and old passport with visa and stamps etc. 

I will be coming back to Thailand in November and passport expires in June 2018 so wish to get new one before as much easier from here. My current extension of stay and re-entry permit expires in mid December so shpuld have sufficient time in Thailand to renew, transfer etc.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Cheers, Thanks for that Joe.