"Dark skinned gang" paid 100 Thai women 5,000 baht each on Facebook to marry for long term visas

webfact

They shouldn't have mentioned the skin color. That's racism but whether we like it or not it's a part of Thai tradition and culture.  That's why Thailand is still a third world country despite having infrastructures.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I can understand that, but I find it difficult to believe that any women would marry Nigerians for only 5000 baht, because no Thai woman would want to go and live in Nigeria and I doubt these men would have anything of value in their own countries.  Don`t believe these Nigerians and Afghans got away with only paying 5000 baht for marriages of convenience in Thailand, must be more to the story then we are being told.

Exactly. Anyone not from the five "special" countries has to jump through lots of hoops to get married here. It takes months to get everything in order. Unless they were bribing Thai officials there is no way they could have pulled this off! If they were bribing officials then then are not the "dark/ black gang" anymore. What's the color for people here? :stoner:

3 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Getting married is not as easy as it used to be. When I married my wife, we had an interview with an official that questionned both of us before approving. Of course a black guy (no offence and no rasicm there - purely stats) wanting to marry a Thai girl who barely knows him will arise suspicion. The district offices should be investigated.

Or was part of the 5,000 baht slipped into an officer's pocket?

How about a white guy???

4 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Ok so come next years renewal (visa or extension) the "wife" could easily put her hand out for a large wedge or refuse to assist, does not sound like a well thought out "long term visa" idea to me !!

Who is to say what sort of leverage has been made when they accept the 5,000 baht?

These type of gangs generally don't mess about. Without leverage what would stop the women from grassing up the gang?

Believe me, there will be pressure somewhere. Nothing in this world is for free, not even 5,000 baht.

Edited by chrisinth

1 hour ago, transam said:

After reading this the roomers about possible Savannakhet Multi-O probs came to mind..:whistling:

Yes, especially as the requirement to show cash in bank seems to apply only to certain nationalities.

1 minute ago, JAG said:

Yes, especially as the requirement to show cash in bank seems to apply only to certain nationalities.

Yep, we know there are shuttle buses running from down south to Sav for no dosh Multi-O's and no lady required to attend...

3 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Requirements should be the same for everyone.

I heard many white guys who wanted to get married and many amphurs refused to marry them. The paperwork varies from one district office to the other but having a work permit definitely help.

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

no doubt, they will now make it a hassle for genuine people to get their visas (as if it isn't already). scum ruining it for the rest of us as usual. clearly 90 percent of the Africans here are up to no good. I wish they would just bloody round them up and get rid

I think  Europeans, Americans and Aussies are in the news more often than Africans.....or you are just a racist. 

Just now, Raymonddiaz said:

I heard many white guys who wanted to get married and many amphurs refused to marry them. The paperwork varies from one district office to the other but having a work permit definitely help.

The first district didn't want to either - but my wife's parents broke their balls until they accepted to start the process.

6 minutes ago, Machiavelli said:

I think  Europeans, Americans and Aussies are in the news more often than Africans.....or you are just a racist. 

Perhaps a big difference in numbers between nationalities in LOS...

11 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

How about a white guy???

African blacks here raise suspicion because most not all are coming here to make money. White guys here do not raise suspicion because most not all are here to spend money.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

In my opinion, the translation of the Daily News article referring to them as a "nasty black skinned gang" is a very sloppy translation.  The headline subheader does refer to a "แก๊งผิวสีสุดแสบ" which should be translated as "a gang of colored (non white) culprits/troublemakers."  This translation is also more consistent with the main headline which reads "จับหนุ่มสีผิวปลอมวีซ่าเป็นโสด จ้างสาวจดทะเบียนหวังอยู่ยาว" (arrest of colored men for fake marriage visas - hired girls to marry (in order) to stay (in Thailand) for long time.)

The use of a term like "nasty", an extreme value judgement, is also inconsistent with good journalism, and I want to reemphasize that the Thai newspaper did not use this term. It was mistranslated by Webfact.

Furthermore, the translated description of the gang as "black skinned" is inaccurate, (not to mention highly inflammatory when coupled with a word like "nasty.) While seven members of the gang were Nigerian and had black skin, 2 others were Afghan (and cannot be accurately described as black), so again, the proper translation would be a "non-white or colored" gang rather than "black skinned" gang.

Got somebody with  a brain here. You are not going to be popular here. I can guarantee you that. 

29 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That's the only benefit I see, you only need 400K instead of 800K. Never understood the logic behind that, you have half as much to support twice as many.

You cannot get a work permit on a retirement extension but you can easily with a marriage extension. Big, really big difference for those who want to make money here.

35 minutes ago, Machiavelli said:

You are right , but Thais are narrow minded when it comes to skin color. 

58 minutes ago, JAG said:

What nationalities get an exemption? I can state that Australians, UK, NZ and Dutch citizens do not.

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

What nationalities get an exemption? I can state that Australians, UK, NZ and Dutch citizens do not.

There are certainly exceptions when it comes to how long that money is in the bank. A friend who doesn't have the required 800K had an agency deposit that amount in his account for 1 day to obtain his retirement extension.

Just now, giddyup said:

There are certainly exceptions when it comes to how long that money is in the bank. A friend who doesn't have the required 800K had an agency deposit that amount in his account for 1 day to obtain his retirement extension.

That scam was around a few years ago. I have been told it now requires a letter from the bank saying the deposit has been there for 3 months before the visa is issued. And I know of a Dutch guy refused an retirement visa because his money was in a fixed deposit, unavailable for daily use. 

Just now, Lemonltr said:

Only for skin colour?? I have seen several adverts for house rental which stated " not for Farang"

Maybe because it wasn't up to falang requirements, like an indoor kitchen.

Just now, halloween said:

That scam was around a few years ago. I have been told it now requires a letter from the bank saying the deposit has been there for 3 months before the visa is issued. And I know of a Dutch guy refused an retirement visa because his money was in a fixed deposit, unavailable for daily use. 

Not true. He only obtained his extension a month ago, it cost him 15,000 baht to the agency, who I'm sure had to share that money with someone else.

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That is common and illegal.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not true. He only obtained his extension a month ago, it cost him 15,000 baht to the agency, who I'm sure had to share that money with someone else.

It sounds like someone was paid to approve it, which is all very well until that guy gets busted. Then the excreta hits the rotary cooling device.

I can remember when smarties were paying to have their passports taken on border runs. turns out they were using a faked stamp, and suddenly there was an outbreak of "lost" passports.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

African blacks here raise suspicion because most not all are coming here to make money. White guys here do not raise suspicion because most not all are here to spend money.

Just listen to yourself, Grubster. You ever hear the expression 'Driving while black?' Following your reasoning, blacks justifiably rouse suspicion even when they are working/earning money. There are many African school teachers, merchants, businessmen, import/exporters here. Some are also Thai league football players. If you don't believe me, just google African expats in Thailand and you can see for yourself. It is a myth that the majority are involved in illegal activities.

And to all the posters going on about how all these Africans are ruining immigration for all the law abiding white people here, do you seriously think that marriage visa fraud is only commited by non-whites in Thailand? And, tell me, when a gang of "nasty" white retirees gets busted for transfering 800K from one account to another in order to circumvent immigration rules, what will you say? Will they be excoriated here as well, or treated like folk heroes, their arrests treated as further evidence of how Thailand hates farangs?

Edited by Gecko123

11 minutes ago, halloween said:

Lots of guys are using this illegal method and I'm sure the money is spread amongst all those who must alter or approve.