Bank teller charged with theft after 80,000 baht deposited and 40,000 baht recorded case

webfact

Bank teller charged with theft after 80,000 baht deposited and 40,000 baht recorded case

7pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHAINAT: -- Chainat police have charged a thirty year old female bank teller with theft after she allegedly pocketed 40,000 baht of a client's deposit.

Jutharat Iamjui came with her lawyer to Wat Singh police station on Sunday to deny the charge. She was granted bail by the court and will fight the case.

It came about when Wachira Ariyapongkorn, 41, an employee at a pet food shop said he brought in 80,000 takings to be deposited into the account of the shop owner.

But later checks showed that only 40,000 baht was entered in the bankbook and on the slip.

CCTV footage showed only some of the money being counted, it was claimed last week.

Unusually in these cases the bank was named - it was the Kasikorn branch at Wat Singh, Chainat.

The bank said that investigations are ongoing from their perspective.

But police say they have enough to go to court.

The owner of the shop, Saisunee, claimed when the story broke that this was not the first time that she had had problems with the staff at that branch.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-26

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing, now you cannot even deposit money in the bank without being cheated.

Look into the bank tellers accounts, maybe not the only incident.

A stupid bank teller, how did she expect to get away with that trick?

Looks like she is like a lot of people here, living beyond their means, lots of debts.

A job in a Bank is one of the best jobs in the country with plenty of perks for the employees.  To do something like this is almost beyond stupidity but where did she learn such things ?  

When you are born and live in a country where making easy money by any crooked means is seen as 'clever' and rich people are looked up to as Demi-Gods no matter how they got their money , there will always be weak minded people tempted to steal....and this country has a lot of weak minded people !

48 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Looks like she is like a lot of people here, living beyond their means, lots of debts.

If I was the manager of that branch, I would investigate all the tellers for piece of mind. It allegedly isn't the first time it has happened to the same customer (even though the previous incident was sorted out).

Usually I have to 'declare' the amount I'm depositing by filling out a deposit slip and the teller verifies the written amount matches the actual amount before crediting the account.  Did that not happen here?

13 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

If I was the manager of that branch, I would investigate all the tellers for piece of mind. It allegedly isn't the first time it has happened to the same customer (even though the previous incident was sorted out).

Not sure if you've noticed, but Thai banks don't seem to work like banks in the rest of the world.

Sometimes I wonder if some Thai bank 'managers' even knows how many employees they have.

38 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Usually I have to 'declare' the amount I'm depositing by filling out a deposit slip and the teller verifies the written amount matches the actual amount before crediting the account.  Did that not happen here?

Not sure if you've noticed, but Thai banks don't seem to work like banks in the rest of the world.

Sometimes I wonder if some Thai bank 'managers' even knows how many employees they have.

All above true................:smile:

Your point about filling in the deposit slip, I also have to do this every time and always receive a stamped signed receipt. Unless the bank and the person making the deposit have become complacent due to everyday business, there does appear to be something wrong with the whole story IMO.

I have had a similar experience once in the past 9 years at my local bank, and it happened just last month.  
I receive disability checks from both the VA and SS in a closed account.  My name only, No debit or ATM card. Which means that ever month I have to personally go to the bank and transfer the money into an open account.

When I went for my June transactions, due to health problems, I was having trouble filling out the withdrawal and deposit slips, so one of the girls who works there, and who is fairly new, offered to help me.  When I went to the cashier to do the transactions, I checked both books.  Money had been withdrawn from the closed account, but NOT deposited into the open account.  I immediately brought it to the attention of the teller.  Who checked the account numbers and immediately made the correction, with major apologies to me, as I am well known and liked in that bank.  

I asked her if she could check and see who the account belonged to.  She said she couldn't, but the manager could, and immediately took the slips and had me follow her to the manager's office.  Five minutes later it was discovered that the account belonged to the "nice woman" who had helped me.  She was called into the office and immediately fired, and told the police would be called and she would be arrested for theft. 

I asked the manager if there was a way to avoid the police, but make sure this woman could never work in a bank again.  She said there was.  I told her I would be happy with that.  She assured me it would be handled immediately. Meanwhile, the young woman was fired and told to get out of the bank immediately.  My wife said I am too "kind hearted" and should have had her arrested. She's probably right, but destroying her future as a bank employee was good enough for me. 

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Afraid same everywhere, debt and refuse to give it back or claim they have given loans back to 3rd parties and yes one guess refuse to pass it on and stating Family is struggling. What about who this money belongs to are not struggling. Despicable and hope they throw the book at her. Somehow I doubt it

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

All above true................:smile:

Your point about filling in the deposit slip, I also have to do this every time and always receive a stamped signed receipt. Unless the bank and the person making the deposit have become complacent due to everyday business, there does appear to be something wrong with the whole story IMO.

Nothing is wrong with this story, as u can see on the receipt in the article above, the teller gave a receipt of a deposit of 40,000 - not 80,000.

So the employee from the pet shop should have noticed this at the beginning of course. But obviously he was stressed or his brain didnt work well that day - who knows...

Moral of the story? ALWAYS CHECK YOUR RECEIPT - EVEN WHEN YOU ARE IN THAILAND  :smile:

1 hour ago, thaifan01 said:

Nothing is wrong with this story, as u can see on the receipt in the article above, the teller gave a receipt of a deposit of 40,000 - not 80,000.

So the employee from the pet shop should have noticed this at the beginning of course. But obviously he was stressed or his brain didnt work well that day - who knows...

Moral of the story? ALWAYS CHECK YOUR RECEIPT - EVEN WHEN YOU ARE IN THAILAND  :smile:

Thanks for pointing that out, I truthfully scanned right past that thinking it was an image from the CCTV.

My bad.

Unless things have changed when you get a job as a bank teller in Thailand you have to deposit a considerable amount of money with the bank you work for and leave it on deposit there.  It is because you have access to such a large amount of cash and each teller is responsible for their till being correct.  My friend's wife works in a bank in Chiang Rai and that is what they had to do.  She also needed to have a university degree.  However that was ten years ago so it may have changed now.

5 hours ago, RichCor said:

As this is a She said vs she said accusation it should be impossible to adjudicate; unless the 'missing' money actually turned up somewhere.

The missing money probably fell down in the tellers pocket by an accident.  

All so quick to condemn this teller on very flimsy evidence and the word of the Police that they have enough, undisclosed, evidence to prosecute.

In my view there is sufficient grounds to question the depositors story.

It is more plausible that they did in fact deposit only 40K and  got a correct receipt. It is the responsibility of the depositor to check both their receipt and the entry in the deposit book. The fact the discrepancy was not immediately raised at the bank leads me to suspect the depositor planed and executed the stealing of this 40K

Frankly, I doubt ant bank teller would contemplate such a crime and being able to get away with it as it would be detected immediately when the teller check their receipt.

Moreover, there was apparently a  previous similar incident involving the same depositor.

16 minutes ago, dexjnr555 said:

Something doesn't add up, surely she would have known that this simple transaction would be instantly caught?

The bank could well just have probably ignored the compliant, if it wasnt for the publicity , and she would then have got away with it

I have operated with bank tellers in Thailand, and somehow a very simple transaction requires a lot of hassle and paperwork. I have watched the tellers work "slow" and very precisely to get things done - even to the point that I've wondered how pedant and at the same time daft does one have to be to work in a bank in Thailand.

Now, reading the above, I am VERY PLEASED to note that it was to my benefit to be able to carefully watch every single step of the operation, and have exactly the agreed amounts on my account, the passbook and cash. :smile:

Archived