Bt21 billion worth of illegal drugs incinerated in Ayutthaya

webfact

Bt21 billion worth of illegal drugs incinerated in Ayutthaya
By The Nation

f4e64dadda8823b74b37568321506f44.jpeg

Employees from the Food and Drug Administration sort out boxes of assorted illegal substances before their incineration during the 47th Destruction of Confiscated Narcotics event by the Thai Government at Bang Pa-In Industrial in Ayutthaya. // AFP

AYUTTHAYA: -- Authorities destroyed more than 9,300 kilograms of confiscated narcotics with an estimated street value of Bt20.719 billion on Monday, International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.

They included 87 million ya ba (amphetamine) pills.

The 47th Destruction of Confiscated Narcotics ceremony was held at the Utility and Environment Management Centre in Ayutthaya’s Bang Pa-in Industrial Estate.

The drugs destroyed, with a net weight of 9,321 kilograms, had been seized in 6,546 arrests and raids across Thailand. 

The load included 7,886 kilograms of ya ba – around 87 million pills – with a street value of Bt17.5 billion, 1,185 kilograms of “ice” (crystal methamphetamine) valued at Bt2.9 billion, 169 kilograms of heroin worth Bt182 million, and marijuana and kratom leaves confiscated by the Narcotics Suppression Bureau weighing 6,853 kilograms and worth Bt54 million. 

The drugs were destroyed by pyrolytic incineration – burned in a fire of at least 850 degrees Celsius to quickly turn the drugs’ molecules to carbon without polluting the air or otherwise harming the environment.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319127

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-26

Just round the corner from me , should of shot outside for a lung full. ."The drugs were destroyed by pyrolytic incineration" Probably half the population of Ayutthaya are walking around out of it at the moment

Myanmar, Thailand incinerate illicit drugs worth $800 million

tag-reuters.jpg

A police officer from the Narcotics Control Board stands guard in front of bags of confiscated drugs during the 47th Destruction of Confiscated Narcotics ceremony in Ayutthaya province, north of Bangkok, Thailand June 26, 2017. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom

BANGKOK/YANGON (Reuters) - Officials in Myanmar and Thailand burned illegal narcotics worth more than $800 million (628 million pounds) on Monday to mark the UN day against drug abuse and trafficking.

The move came even as authorities struggle to stem the flood of illicit drugs in the region, with Thailand's justice minister last year saying the country's war on drugs was failing.

In Thailand's Ayutthaya province, more than 9 tonnes of drugs with a street value of over 20 billion baht ($590 million) went up in smoke including methamphetamines, known locally as "yaba" or "crazy drug", according to police.

"Currently, we are able to take down a lot of networks, including ... transnational networks bringing drugs into Thailand ... to be shipped to Malaysia and other countries," Sirinya Sitthichai, Secretary-General of the Office of Narcotics Control Board, told reporters in Ayutthaya.

In neighbouring Myanmar, the police said they destroyed confiscated drugs worth around $217 million.

Myanmar remains one of the world's largest producers of illicit drugs, including opium, heroin and methamphetamines. Those narcotics are often smuggled into China.

Last year, law makers in Myanmar voiced disappointment over the country's lacklustre efforts to tackle the drug problem.

The market for methamphetamines has been growing in Southeast Asia, the United Nations has said. It estimates that Southeast Asia's trade in heroin and methamphetamine was worth $31 billion in 2013.

(Reporting by Juarawee Kittisilpa in AYUTTHAYA and Aye Win Myint in YANGON; Writing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre; Editing by Joseph Radford)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-26

6 hours ago, FourAces said:

Myanmar, Thailand incinerate illicit drugs worth $800 million

What the news report neglected to mention is the $16 million worth of drugs that failed to get incinerated.

and george with the nation believe ?

The title should be

Bt21000 billion worth of illegal drugs NOT  incinerated in Ayutthaya

because if they go this, it means that at least 100 times more have reached customers !

How stupid I would feel if I was a narcotic cop anywhere in the world. I would prefer to kill myself than doing this job.

Edited by bangkokairportlink
not your business

17 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

And what happened to those confiscated and not incinerated ? :coffee1:

Agree storm in a tea cup ! Where's the rest back on the streets  pm said thais should refrain from having a  drink wet season , now we know has plenty of drugs to sell : thats all ok no pelvic thrusts. 

10 hours ago, thai006 said:

so sad   party with mdma is just fabolousssss

What is the problem here. That way back in America, when the alcohol companies started losing money because of the popularity of marijuana, they put pressure on the pollies to ban it and of course anything else which competes with the true drug of death for ascendency. 

None of these drugs cause as much damage as alcohol. This is pure and utter madness, precipitated by dishonest politicians, who hide behind comments regarding "drug lords" frequently working for the police, hidden investments of their own, payments from alcohol companies and so on and so forth. 

Imbibing of a substance for pleasure. How does that get to be interpreted as a crime? A crime is an offence against another human being, not enjoying oneself. Do the politically correct "nanny" statists clucking about 'such a good thing' really believe themselves. Yes. They do. Standing around in their aprons and the washing up liquid.

I have been imbibing various since I was 2 when I first got drunk from drinking a pink Gin left on a low table, that makes close to 70 years. My enlightened parents were liberals. At 71, I am in perfect health and take no medications whatsoever. My life of imbibing has not even touched the sides of my health. I can swim the length of a 60 meter pool underwater and look twenty years younger than I am. 

Explain that to your stupid Nannies who cluck cluck cluck over their eggs of pseudo dismay. 

Grow up people. Legalise all drugs. Get rid of all the drug lords in the police instantly. Turn the money raised into drug education and lets party (sic). At least, let the poor enjoy their poverty which is at the heart of this.

Then lets tackle poverty, one of the root causes of all this 'shit'.

Edited by Maggusoil
spelling and arithmetic

13 hours ago, masuk said:

Given the jungle borders this country has, and the neighbours, drug policing must be a helluva task.

Well done lads!

a never ending task whose merits are questionable but whose purpose is clear

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

Always curious if the quantities of opiate could not be recycled into valid pharmaceutical feedstocks? 

I guess not, or they would.

there is more than enough pharmaceutical opiate available. the synthetics are off the charts. In western countries, particularly the US, the proliferation of oxycontin prescriptions have skyrocketed and there are more people dying from OD on this drug than anything seen in a long time. It is unbelievable. 

this is prescription drugs, manufactured by drug company who enjoys a license. 

19 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

organic substances, powders, and pills burned at 1500F degrees   wouldn't even leave ashes in the furnace.............2000F  would have been better.

850 C = 1562F, more than enough to break down anything organic. At 2000F =

1093 C, it's much more expensive in terms of energy required. In addition, residues such as sodium, potassium etc. start attacking the furnace refractory, resulting in higher maintenance costs.