What are the advantages of being registered on a thai house book?

I was thinking of getting my name on the in-laws house book. My wife and baby are on it. The amphur office told me that if I want to get the farang thai pink id card then I need to be registered on the house book. But I've read other threads stating that the pink card is next to useless. 

Is there any other reason why its in my best interests to be on a house book? 

If I pay off the loan on my pickup truck do I need anything special to get that car book off them? I heard years ago that one has to have a work permit? What about being registered on the house book? 

If you can comment on any of the above I'm indebted to you. 

cheers

You cannot be registered in a blue house book unless you are Thai or have permanent residency here.

You can get a yellow house book that will be based upon a blue house book. You need to get permission from the person who is shown as the head of household in the blue housebook.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot be registered in a blue house book unless you are Thai or have permanent residency here.

You can get a yellow house book that will be based upon a blue house book. You need to get permission from the person who is shown as the head of household in the blue housebook.

He was asking if there is any advantage to having his name in a book?

I can't imagine he would need to be on any book.to get his log book for the car once he has paid the car off in full?

Edited by dotpoom

I can't think of why anyone would consider the pink card useless, apart from a passport it is the only thing a bank will accept fo transactions and you get he Thai price in hospitals and national parks. It is the yellow house book that is really worthless.

"I can't think of why anyone would consider the pink card useless, apart from a passport it is the only thing a bank will accept fo transactions..."

I've used something else.  I guess it just depends on the bank.

The Yellow House Book (for aliens) is good to have as proof of address, and name transliterated to Thai; and furthermore as base for pink ID-card. The landtransport Office will for example accept the Yellow House Book for Drivers License and if you register a vehicle, otherwise a proof-of-address letter from Immigration is needed in every case.

According to forum-posts it is with difference from province to province how easy the process for obtaining a Yellow House Book is; in some places it's almost handed over to you with a big smile; in other places – like when I had mine – it can be a fairly complicated process, almost like applying for permanent residence, apart from there was no Thai language test.

As UbonJoe said above, the "Maste of Household" – in the Blue House Book in this case – shall give permission; however I'm the master of my house, even my name is in a Yellow House Book, so any Thai in my Blue House Book need my permission...:smile:

When I asked for the Yellow Book registration recently at the Tessabaan at Padaed, Chiang Mai I was told by the officer that its use was very limited, he mentioned Bank Loans and Driving License,  and that I would have to keep it valid.  I forget what he said about the period of validity but it was no more than 4 or 5 years.  I have not needed a Yellow Book in the last 10 years so I did not press the issue.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What I find interesting is that even though I have the yellow book and pink ID card here in Chiang Mai province the local Immigration office still require my wife whose name is on the blue house book ( my name is linked in somehow as we used the user fruc provision when the land was purchased) to sign the form for re notifying my address after returning from overseas

They even require the notification after a day trip to Burma through Masai

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

What I find interesting is that even though I have the yellow book and pink ID card here in Chiang Mai province the local Immigration office still require my wife whose name is on the blue house book ( my name is linked in somehow as we used the user fruc provision when the land was purchased) to sign the form for re notifying my address after returning from overseas

They even require the notification after a day trip to Burma through Masai

This proves that its more or less useless to jump through hoops to do the documentation to be on the house book or get that pink id card. Whats the point?

4 hours ago, MrJ said:

my house is owned by company and I am the director - do i get the yellow book?

To my knowledge: The company (owner) shall have a Blue House Book – all houses shall have a Blue House Book, which is proof of house number and thereby address – but the book can contain no names, if nobody live in the house. If a foreigner rent the house and live there, he can apply for a Yellow House Book, but the company (owner or master-of-household) shall give permission.

4 minutes ago, khunPer said:

To my knowledge: The company (owner) shall have a Blue House Book – all houses shall have a Blue House Book, which is proof of house number and thereby address – but the book can contain no names

I once owned a house in company name.

In the blue book was the name of the company on the first page, and 4 names of Thai people were added on the following pages

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

I once owned a house in company name.

In the blue book was the name of the company on the first page, and 4 names of Thai people were added on the following pages

Yes, Thai people are always listed in the Blue House Book, but alien name shall be listed in a Yellow House Book – so you cam have a Blue House Book with company name only, and no persons listed, plus a Yellow House Book with names of foreigner(s) living in the house.

4 hours ago, davidst01 said:

This proves that its more or less useless to jump through hoops to do the documentation to be on the house book or get that pink id card. Whats the point?

Have to disagree the point I made relates only to Immigration and as we know they appear to have the discretion to make up their own rules in individual provinces

I have found the ID card which is available after obtainining the yellow book very useful 

I get reduced rates at National Parks it is accepted by the bank and hotels in lieu of my passport and last year when I bought a new car I did not need the certificate of residency  from the Immigration Department for which there is a fee plus the inconvenience of a day trip to Chiang Mai

Importantly it is issued for life so well worth the teffort in my opinion

No need for proof of address document from Immigration when asked for can use yellow book. You need that for driving licence, for one thing. Opening a new bank account these days difficult without yellow book. So of limited use, but not no use.