Thailand Post delivers to wrong address - recourses?

SiamBeast

I recently sent a package from Phuket to Bangkok, and wrote the address in English. I used Thailand Post EMS. The package contains extremely important original documents that I cannot afford to lose (but no monetary value). In fact, the contents of the package would be of no use to someone who's not the recipient, so no incentive in stealing.

The package is going to 10110 Watthana but the tracking shows "delivered" to Phra Khanong today at 11:30, with the name of someone that I do not recognize. The receiver said that no package arrived.

In the morning I will call Thailand Post regarding this, but I'd like to know, what can I expect, and what should I prepare in order to "motivate" them to resolve the problem?

Edited by SiamBeast

I suggest it will be better to go to your local post office in person with the print out of the on line tracking.   They will need to see what you see to really discover what happened.  

I don't know whether this is related to the problem:

some parts of Wattana district ("ket") have a different postal code 10260.

10260 is the postal code of Phra Khanong.

Due to the Thai WiKi this applies to certain addresses in Sukhumvit Soi 73, 75, 77.

Onnut rd? And some more. I don't understand the details.

I would assume that the shipment is at Phra Khanong post office.

Could the receiver go there with a photo ID and the printout of the tracking and ask?

(or is it a non private receiver)

So an unsuspicious happy end.

I overlooked that you posted yesterday and of course first thing is check/update status of today.

Could you check with the recipient why it was not delivered yesterday?

Was postal code 10110 correct?

We regularly get other peoples mail, including credit card statements and packages, even if the address is written right and even when the whole address is written in Thai.

So I presume we will also be missing out on some mail addressed to us, but how to know if you didn't send it yourself?

If it's a little bit difficult the postman just drops it somewhere and comes back with an empty bag, problem solved and who's ever gonna hold him responsible?

Had similar a few years ago.

Parcel sent from Pattaya to me in Phrom Phong, zip 10110.

Tracking number given said 'delivered' to an address in Phra Khanong.

Went to the parcel counter at Phra Khanong post office, gave the tracking number and was given the parcel.

Maybe, it's what they sometimes do if they can't or don't want to deliver to the named address, just drop it at the nearest post office for collection.

Good luck anyway, worth a try !

Occasionally Aliexpress deliveries wind up delivered to the wrong address.  When I complain and the tracking supports my claim I get refunded but I always wonder who signed for and got a free gift and why they thought hat was normal behavior.

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

Occasionally Aliexpress deliveries wind up delivered to the wrong address.  When I complain and the tracking supports my claim I get refunded but I always wonder who signed for and got a free gift and why they thought hat was normal behavior.

I still have a package from Ali waiting for me in Udon Thani instead of Chiang Mai, they don't care or read it at the post office.

Got refunded also.

I am wondering will i still receive the package after a few years when someone cleans up the storage ?

Several times, when we are not home, the  Thai postman leaves the EMS letter/package at our Thai housing village security gate.  So, if using the tracking system and it shows delivered, but does not show who signed for it.  We check with security and they have it.  It has been a few years, but one time, an important document had not arrived - we contacted the sender and they said it was mailed several days before by EMS and gave us the tracking number - they said they could send again if need be.  The online tracking system showed it was delivered but no name for who signed it.  We went to post office (far North Pattaya, before they opened the new facility on Sukhumvit which now handles our EMS mail). The post office said it was delivered, but could not say who signed for it.     So, we decided we would need to notify sender to send again.  As we returned home (Jomtien area) and were pulling up to our drive, here comes a motorcycle rider (postman) and he has the letter in hand for us to sign for it -- so fairly obvious it wasn't previously delivered.  However, that was the only experience with it not being delivered - all other times, it comes to house or is left with Security.

I think you have been doing pretty well...I had a few items "not turn up " from the north Pattaya sorting office...I think they used to be overwhelmed by the huge volume of stuff, easy for things to dissapear maybe the postman's fault maybe not....
Seems to have improved since the Jomtien sorting office opened...but our postie likes to hoard the letters and deliver in one go so is often slow so bills cant be paid at 7-11 etc because its past the cut off date ohh well better late than never.

We live in 10110 and our post gets handled by Phra Khanong post office - perhaps it's out for delivery, with a guard, or sat at the post office. Worth contacting them.

Edit - saw your second post - glad it arrived.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Problems with mail delivery is not just limited to Thailand. Some 10 years past I had a reoccurring issue with the postal carrier delivering to my home in the US. My house number was 921 and marked clearly by 6" numbers on my house.  This female carrier would leave mail in my box, addressed to the house next door. She would then walk past the intended recipient's home to continue her route. I started out taking the wrongly delivered mail to the neighbor's box. This would occur frequently each week.  Sometimes I would get mail addressed to house 921, one block over. Tiring of this I kept the mail for several weeks and took the colleçtion to the post office.  The clerk, another female, seemed upset that I had not brought the mail in sooner, after it was delivered by mistake.  I informed her that it was the carriers job, not mine to deliver mail. The situation didn't improve. After numerous, tríp taking mail back to the post office, I eventually stop returning the mail. One day, I received two boxes addressed the house 1 block over. I left them on the porch for over a week thinking the carrier would finally realize her mistake. She didn't. I still have a set of aftermarket chrome exhaust extensions for a 90's Ford Mustang.  Mail delivery improved about 12 months later, when she married a wealthy farmer and quit her job.  

I had six consecutive sets of documents sent to the bank in singapore by registered mail, one list none signed for and no response from thai post to numerous requests for information / proof of delivery. Need that for court case but no hope of winning because of thai posts refusal to answer other than "we will let you know if we find anything out!" Bloody disgrace