UK's May strikes $1.3 billion deal with Northern Irish party to prop up government

webfact

As my mate Chris Patten says "a bung is a bung however you dress it up!"   In two years time the DUP will come back with their hand out for more.  We can only hope that May is long gone by then!

Do you think this bung parliament will last that long?

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

I am distraught that they are there now!  I have spent the last couple of years being disappointed by so many things political that my expectations are set very low now.

I am distraught that they are there now!  I have spent the last couple of years being disappointed by so many things political that my expectations are set very low now.

Well if you want Corbyn and Labour in they must be very low indeed

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Well if you want Corbyn and Labour in they must be very low indeed

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You guys and your "putting people into boxes".  It gets very tedious but I will say it again  " I wouldn't vote for Corbyn or a Labour government with the current shower".  It is never black or white or even blue or red.

18 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

DUP. You left home over three hundred years ago, and you still think you're British ??

And Theresa May, why are you talking to the DUP as if they are British ?  Sinn Fein are a bunch of Irish blokes, DUP are actually just as Irish as Sinn Fein. Why reckon that Ian Paisley's boys are any different to Gerry's boys ?  They are, after all, a load of Irish people. 

And if you are American, you're not going to know, who is Ian Paisley. Ian Paisley founded the DUP.

What are you wittering on about?

Like the English, Scottish and Welsh, the Northern Irish are citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland!

Like the English, Scottish and Welsh, they are British citizens.

That the Republic of Ireland's constitution allows them to have Irish citizenship as well doesn't change that; both countries allow dual nationality.

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Like it or not, although they do not have an overall majority, the Conservatives do have the largest number of seats.

Of course, this money is not going into the DUP coffers!

DUP-Tory deal: Where is the money going to be spent?

Where will the money go?

• Health: A minimum of £250m, with £200m directed to health service transformation and £50m towards mental health provision. It will also receive £50m to "address immediate pressures"
  • Education: £50m to "address immediate pressures"
  • Infrastructure: £400m for projects including delivery the York Street Interchange, plus £150m to provide ultra-fast broadband across Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland's capital budget is currently about £1bn per year.
  • Deprivation: £100m over five years targeted to deprived communities
  • VAT and Air Passenger Duty tax: Agreed to further consultation
  • Corporation tax: Agreed to work towards devolving the tax to Stormont
  • City deals and Enterprise Zones: Agreed to "comprehensive and ambitious set" of city deals and "limited number" of Enterprise Zones

Do you really believe that in the same position Corbyn would not have struck a similar deal with another party; maybe your beloved Scottish Nationalists?

14 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Like it or not, although they do not have an overall majority, the Conservatives do have the largest number of seats.

Do you really believe that in the same position Corbyn would not have struck a similar deal with another party; maybe your beloved Scottish Nationalists?

Why do you have to bring Corbyn into the conversation?  However in his case he had several options of who to get into bed with whereas the desperate May didn't.  Hence her having to buy votes using the taxpayers money.

15 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Why do you have to bring Corbyn into the conversation?  However in his case he had several options of who to get into bed with whereas the desperate May didn't.  Hence her having to buy votes using the taxpayers money.

Because if May couldn't form a government; who would have done so?

If, as I said, Labour had the largest number of seats but no overall majority, do you not think that Corbyn would have been shopping around for support in the same way as May had to?

Do you seriously believe that whosoever offered him that support would not have negotiated concessions from him in the same way as the DUP did with May?

Do you seriously believe that those concessions would not have involved spending taxpayers money?

BTW, the people of Northern Ireland pay tax, too!

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

A coalition or even a minority government would have been better than this grubby deal

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

My beloved Scottish nationalists? I have stated many times that I am not a member of the SNP and would be unlikely to vote for them in a future independent Scotland. 

Who said it was going in to the DUP coffers? Putting aside their very recent, very dubious history of handing out huge sums of public cash to a small pool of recipients, every other region of the UK is going to have to contribute to this additional spend in NI - spin all the hypotheticals that you want, the reality is this bung parliament. 

On 6/27/2017 at 9:44 AM, lamecn said:

So now it's legal to buy votes in the UK?

Democracy ? , dream on .

GB , has  now reached a all time  low . 

J C . save  us  from the devils  of corruption . Amen .

The protected walls  of the  establishment are  cracking . Asap. 

Edited by elliss

On 28/06/2017 at 0:49 PM, 7by7 said:

What are you wittering on about?

Like the English, Scottish and Welsh, the Northern Irish are citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland!

Like the English, Scottish and Welsh, they are British citizens.

That the Republic of Ireland's constitution allows them to have Irish citizenship as well doesn't change that; both countries allow dual nationality.

I quote from you, "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".  Yes, those in Northern Ireland are citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The English, Scottish and Welsh are British, they are from Britain.

But, the Northern Irish, are they British ?  Remember, it's called "the United Kindom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".  Great Britain AND Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is not in Great Britain. England, Scotland and Wales, they are in Great Britain, but Northern  Ireland is not in Great Britain.

Them DUP people, they reckon they're British, because their ancestors were originally from Britain. But they left Britain over three hundred years ago.  Them British people who left Britain, and went to America and Australia two or three hundred years ago, are they still British ? Does the British government want to open talks with those people, and have their MPs in London ?

I quote from you, "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".  Yes, those in Northern Ireland are citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

But, the Northern Irish, are they British ?  Remember, it's called "the United Kindom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".  Great Britain AND Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is not in Great Britain. England, Scotland and Wales, they are in Great Britain, but Northern  Ireland is not in Great Britain.

Them DUP people, they reckon they're British, because their ancestors were originally from Britain. But they left Britain over three hundred years ago.  Them British people who left Britain, and went to America and Australia two or three hundred years ago, are they still British ? Does the British government want to open talks with those people, and have their MPs in London ?

They do however live in the British Isles.

15 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

In the name of my country, the 'Great Britain' and Northern Ireland' are not political terms, they are geographical terms, referring to the island of Great Britain and the northern part of the island of Ireland which is in the union. Prior to the south of Ireland becoming independent the name was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Again, geographical, not political.

This is a simpler name than using the political one, which would mean my country being called the United Kingdom of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales!

Despite your lack of knowledge, your user name suggests that you are British. Do you have a British passport?

If so, have a look at it. On the front it says United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Under nationality on the personal details page it says British Citizen.

This is true for the passports of all British citizens, whether they be English, Northern Irish, Scottish or Welsh.

If you still believe that the people of Northern Ireland are not British, go to the Shankill Road and ask them; but be prepared to run!

Northern Ireland is British, the people of Northern Ireland are British and will remain so until the majority of Northern Irish people decide otherwise. Even Sinn Fein/IRA accepted that when they signed the Good Friday agreement.

Edited by 7by7

10 hours ago, 7by7 said:

In the name of my country, the 'Great Britain' and Northern Ireland' are not political terms, they are geographical terms, referring to the island of Great Britain and the northern part of the island of Ireland which is in the union. Prior to the south of Ireland becoming independent the name was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Again, geographical, not political.

This is a simpler name than using the political one, which would mean my country being called the United Kingdom of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales!

Despite your lack of knowledge, your user name suggests that you are British. Do you have a British passport?

If so, have a look at it. On the front it says United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Under nationality on the personal details page it says British Citizen.

This is true for the passports of all British citizens, whether they be English, Northern Irish, Scottish or Welsh.

If you still believe that the people of Northern Ireland are not British, go to the Shankill Road and ask them; but be prepared to run!

Northern Ireland is British, the people of Northern Ireland are British and will remain so until the majority of Northern Irish people decide otherwise. Even Sinn Fein/IRA accepted that when they signed the Good Friday agreement.

I'm from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That already tells me that Great Britain and Northern Ireland are not the same thing. If they were, it would simply be called United Kingdom of Great Britain, or just Great Britain. 

Yes, we all know the passports and citizenship of those in Northern Ireland is the same as those in Britain (that's England, Wales and Scotland).

You raise a few points. Just because some people in whatever place think that they are British, well, that does not define them as British. How many people in Northern Ireland don't regard themselves as British ?

About the future. Them DUP people. Let's be honest. If in the future, the majority of people in Northern Ireland want to break away from the United Kingdom, well, we all know the DUP supporters will simply not allow it to happen. A bit worrying. That's because those who support Sinn Fein, supposedly, have a higher birth-rate than the DUP supporters.  :smile:

Okay, back to the OP.  I supported REMAIN, and yes, I have a small grin, looking at the DUP. A lot of the DUP supporters backed Brexit. But, DUP don't actually want a hard Brexit. DUP, supposedly, don't want a wall to be built, between the U.K. and Europe. Seems lke, DUP don't mind a barrier to seperate the UK from the EU, but they don't want a barrier between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.  :smile:

Edited by tonbridgebrit

18 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

I'm from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That already tells me that Great Britain and Northern Ireland are not the same thing. If they were, it would simply be called United Kingdom of Great Britain, or just Great Britain. 

As I said, there is no political entity called Great Britain. Great Britain is the name of the largest island in the British isles. It's a geographical term.

If you still fail to understand that, there is no simpler way of explaining it to you.

21 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Yes, we all know the passports and citizenship of those in Northern Ireland is the same as those in Britain (that's England, Wales and Scotland).

Yes, and that's because we are all British citizens; or to be totally accurate citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; but calling us British citizens is far simpler and takes up less room on our passports and other places where we have to give our nationality. In the same way that citizens of the United States of America are called American citizens; whether they live in one of the 48 continental states, Alaska or Hawaii.

25 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

You raise a few points. Just because some people in whatever place think that they are British, well, that does not define them as British. How many people in Northern Ireland don't regard themselves as British ?

In a poll conducted by the Belfast Telegraph in November 2015, British only combined with British and Northern Irish came to about 56%. I have no problem with people considering themselves to be both British and Northern Irish as I consider myself to be both British and English.

Yes, it is true that this figure is lower than previous polls, but there has also been an increase to around 15% of those who consider themselves Northern Irish only. Whilst those who consider themselves either Irish or Irish and Northern Irish has remained roughly the same; about 25%.

42 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

About the future. Them DUP people. Let's be honest. If in the future, the majority of people in Northern Ireland want to break away from the United Kingdom, well, we all know the DUP supporters will simply not allow it to happen. A bit worrying. That's because those who support Sinn Fein, supposedly, have a higher birth-rate than the DUP supporters

Ah, the old 'they'll outbreed us' theory; now where have I heard that before!

According to the 2011 census, 45 % of the population of Northern Ireland are Catholic. so, as can be seen from the figures above, being Catholic does not make one a Republican let alone a supporter of Sinn Fein!

But whatever they think of themselves as being; the people of Northern Ireland are British and have all the rights and responsibilities of being so. They pay British taxes, the elect members to the British parliament in Westminster. Although originally opposed to the Good Friday Agreement, the DUP, with most others, have since agreed that will remain the case until the majority of people in Northern Ireland decide otherwise in a referendum.

47 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Okay, back to the OP.  I supported REMAIN, and yes, I have a small grin, looking at the DUP. A lot of the DUP supporters backed Brexit. But, DUP don't actually want a hard Brexit. DUP, supposedly, don't want a wall to be built, between the U.K. and Europe. Seems lke, DUP don't mind a barrier to seperate the UK from the EU, but they don't want a barrier between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland

Yes, the DUP is in favour of retaining the CTA between the UK and RoI. Which effectively means being in favour of the current situation of no land border checks between Northern Ireland and the Republic except the occasional random spot checks carried out by the immigration gardai, part of the INIS, and similar random checks on those entering the RoI from other parts of the UK by sea and air.

Whether post Brexit UK Border Force will start to carry out similar spot checks or whether a hard border will emerge, we will have to wait and see. I expect the situation will continue pretty much as now, whether crossing the border by land, sea or air; but that is my personal opinion.

As for travelling from all parts of the UK to EU and EEA states other than the RoI, we will have to wait and see. But I have seen nothing to indicate that the DUP would have objections to a fairly lax, visa free for visitors regime; which I believe is the sensible option.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2017 at 3:44 PM, Caps said:

Looks like Westminster has just found a missing GBP 15 billion that they 'forgot' to attribute to Scottish oil production for 2015 & 2016. How unfortunate that they weren't aware of this in time to report the truth for the recent GEs... 

On the positive side, the death of North Sea Oil is probably the last of the great Unionist stories about the Scottish government and Scottish economic performance to be proven to be a total lie: NHS Scotland, Scottish Education, Scottish Economy etc, etc...

This guy know's what's what - otherwise he would not be one of the world's most successful financiers.FB_IMG_1491271503415.jpg.ec3948d6169d1e6dbf24db975fde39f5.jpg