Phuket police hunt for fake passport ‘Swede’ in rental motorbike theft

webfact

Phuket police hunt for fake passport ‘Swede’ in rental motorbike theft

The Phuket News

1498540162_1-org.jpg

Phuket police are looking for Mr 'Andreasson' and the missing motorbike. Photos: Supplied

PHUKET: -- Police are searching for a foreign man in Phuket who is suspected of presenting a fake Swedish passport in order to rent – and not return – rental motorbikes.

Worachet Onkon, 31, owner CK Phuket Bigbike Rental shop in Rawai, raised the alarm last week when he reported to the Chalong Police that one of his rental motorbikes had not been returned.

“This foreigner came to my shop at 3:05pm on May 31 and rented a black PCX motorbike, license plate 4043,” Mr Worachaet told The Phuket News.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-hunt-for-fake-passport-swede-in-stolen-rental-motorbike-theft-62746.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-06-27

Surprisingly, there is no CCTV footage. I would have thought this a must for a motorcycle rental outfit.

However, the 4-day rental period may have led to the relevant footage, if any ever existed, to have been erased.

5 hours ago, likewise said:

Oh but they are Thais, don't take make up laws on their own as they go ? :smile:

I don't care if they are thais because the law actually applies to them as well. It's time for tourists to actually start rewarding rental shops who takes copies of your passport instead of keeping it. It's plain simple illegal to hand over a passport and for someone to keep it. 

They search who now? Search for a unknow farang who looks completly different as the man in the passport?

Or they search for the man in the passport?

Did they check that the man who rented the bike is the same in the passport?

I not believe!!!

Edited by snowgard

7 hours ago, snowgard said:

They search who now? Search for a unknow farang who looks completly different as the man in the passport?

Or they search for the man in the passport?

Did they check that the man who rented the bike is the same in the passport?

I not believe!!!

very good point.  It easily could be a stolen or even fake passport.  Small time vendors don't electronically scan passports.  And visually checking IDs is well, loaded with human error.  And the vendor was probably happy to get some business and wasn't looking for reasons not to rent. 

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

very good point.  It easily could be a stolen or even fake passport.  Small time vendors don't electronically scan passports.  And visually checking IDs is well, loaded with human error.  And the vendor was probably happy to get some business and wasn't looking for reasons not to rent. 

I wish Plod would put the same effort into "returning" my car which was stolen by my step son even though we / they know where it is and where he is.