Coins thrown into plane engine by elderly passenger for 'luck'

webfact

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Remember, this is the new traveling demographic that has mandated airlines revise their whole pre-flight safety briefing to specifically advise against opening the oxygen mask compartment doors and even the emergency exits.

Last week, I flew Vietnam Airlines out of Bangkok for the first time in about 8 months and as an emergency exit row seat occupant, I was advised by a rather serious looking flight attendant that under no circumstances was I to try and open the door at all. Ever. This was never mentioned in the previous years flying them 3 or 4 times a year. I guess their increased Chinese passenger load has dictated this.

AirAsia famously captioned their entry into LC flying as "Now everyone can fly" to which I quickly added, "...but I wish half this lot had stuck to the bus instead."

The first time I flew China Eastern to Shanghai, I was amazed to see 8 - 10 passengers on their feet, getting their baggage from the overhead bins, the moment the wheels hit the runway on landing. We're still doing 300 kph. The flight attendants had no idea what to do, other than grab their microphones and yell. It was too dangerous for them to be on their feet anyway. And the offending passengers were oblivious to the shouts of the staff, as if they didn't understand Mandarin. Chaos! Now I see that they figured they were OK to do something like this, because they had completed the coin-tossing ritual before boarding.

I don't know if it is the same incident as reported in this thread, but I saw on television that a lady threw coins at the engine and they landed inside and plane was delayed for 5 hours well they checked the engine and removed the coins.  

On 28/06/2017 at 3:25 AM, darksidedog said:

I would have thought it unnecessary to explain that a planes engine is not a wishing well, but apparently gross stupidity is alive and well.

Yes, we usually get them trying to open windows or doors in flight, but this one is novel!

On 6/28/2017 at 2:58 PM, LennyW said:

Chinese and Filipinos seem to have absolutely no concept of what acceptable cabin baggage is. 

I took the attached photo at Utapao last year, and i kid you not...this was one Chinese womans carry on baggage, 9 bags!!!!!!

What is just as mystifying is why do the airline staff allow it!!

Chinese duty free at Utapao.jpg

I could be wrong but that look's more like "Duty Free Stuff" she has bought after check in, does'nt make it right though!