Has anybody bought a new Everest ?

LGMV

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ahhhh yes.... the good ol' days.

But with all those alarms assaulting all known senses, drivers always have and probably always will be inattentive and think ' but I'm almost there' until a seized engine ends the game. Back in the "good ol' days" when rapid, hot coolant loss did permeate the cab with fumes, most drivers were still driving around with various amber or red lights glowing on the dashboard. Low oil pressure? Yes, but it goes off after about 5 miles. Not charging? Yes, but I rev the guts out at the first traffic light and it turns off. High temperature? Yes, but if I turn off the aircon and roll the windows down...

Funnily enough no manufacturer that I know of has an automatic idiot engine overtemp kill switch, not even Toyota.

But my old Toyota has a Temp gauge, the handbook clearly states that if the needle gets to the red mark stop the ride..

I have had hoses let go in the past, the cab gets full of coolant smell and a look under the hood ensues..:smile:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

What it tells me is that the hire companies probably get a better deal from Toyota than Ford

Also at the retail level you can obtain a Fortuna within a week an Everest 2/3months

I have no problem with Toyota have been buying them new for years both in Aus and here last year bought a new one for my wife 

On this occasion and in my opinion and my wife more so and despite the higher cost the Everest beat the Fortuner

At the end of the day I am not really interested what other people want or buy that is their choice but with my money I buy what I want

End of story

What it tells me is that they chose the most reliable ride out there, Toyota...

I got an 10 year old Ford Escape and planned to upgrade to the new Everest but the head room in the new Everest is not good for me as I am quite tall, even with the lowest level for the seat I almost touched the ceiling. Think Ford's service is OK in Thailand, parts maybe a bit pricy compared to Toyota.  

Wow that is interesting.  If I might ask how tall are you?   I did notice that it looked a bit low ceiling and I wondering about the Titanium top spec with the moonroof actually makes the roof lower.

1 minute ago, LGMV said:

Wow that is interesting.  If I might ask how tall are you?   I did notice that it looked a bit low ceiling and I wondering about the Titanium top spec with the moonroof actually makes the roof lower.

I am 6.4, in the center the ceiling is little bit higher, but closer to the side the ceiling comes down and hit my head on the right side, not nice if you drive on bumpy roads, my old Escape is much higher inside.

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo

have had a couple of test drives one in 2016 and one last September.   I don't recall it being an issue but they were not the 3.2 l versions, which they don't seem to want to let people test.  

I am considering getting "Beads" for the seat to protect from sweat so that is going to add another 3/4 inch though

1 minute ago, LGMV said:

have had a couple of test drives one in 2016 and one last September.   I don't recall it being an issue but they were not the 3.2 l versions, which they don't seem to want to let people test.  

I am considering getting "Beads" for the seat to protect from sweat so that is going to add another 3/4 inch though

I got both a Toyota and a Ford and will get the new Fortuner when I change SUV, even if I think the lower front on the new Fortuner looks a bit strange, think its better value for the money compared to the Everest, and also the second hand value will probably be much better. My 2006 Escape 3.0  was 1,45 million THB new, will not get more than 250.000 THB for it now and its in great condition. A 10-11 year old Fortuner that was 1.200.000 THB new you can probably sell for 500.000- 600.000 THB now it its in good shape, big difference.   

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, there's truth in the fact that you have a rather interesting if rather confused rationale on the marketing by Thai SUV's manufacturers to Thai fleet operators. 

Now, why on earth would you, an avowed and 101% satisfied, serial Fortuner owner-driver ever, EVER consider renting an Everest?

Tell the truth now.

I would NEVER rent an Everest or any ride come to that I don't have to I own a Toyota.

The reason I know what they hire out is I have a friend that dose. And has done for the last 3 years when he arrives from Aus: Always for a few months hire each time. The only thing he ever gets offered is a Mux that he has now, or Fortuner that he prefers. So nothing confusing about it.

While I'm at it they don't rent out Mistu P: either. Reason for that I don't know. He did ask about the Ford as he wanted to try one.

Edited by fredob43

Interesting about the resale value.  Personally, I don't mind what brand the car is, I have never owned a Ford and owned a Mazda previously which was good.  However, it seems the majority of reviews Fortuna v Everest, the Everest seems to win, not be a lot but definitively the winner.   

Apart from the much better resale value of a second hand Fortuna what are the other plus points over the Everest?  I am very open minded but when I did research of comparisons. Everest nearly always won

10 minutes ago, LGMV said:

Interesting about the resale value.  Personally, I don't mind what brand the car is, I have never owned a Ford and owned a Mazda previously which was good.  However, it seems the majority of reviews Fortuna v Everest, the Everest seems to win, not be a lot but definitively the winner.   

Apart from the much better resale value of a second hand Fortuna what are the other plus points over the Everest?  I am very open minded but when I did research of comparisons. Everest nearly always won

I think the Everest is a good SUV, just its too small for my body size. The resale value for the Fords are not good compared to the Toyota's or Honda's in Thailand, don't know why, my Ford Escape been a great car and I like the big V6 engine a lot. I had a couple of Honda CRVs before and I had less problems with them compared to my Toyotas, but they are smaller inside compared to a Fortuner or an Everest.

Thanks, I am wondering about the model with the sunroof.  I wonder if that would allow for more headroom.  If any posters here have the version with the sunroof, does it allow for a little extra headroom?

Just now, LGMV said:

Thanks, I am wondering about the model with the sunroof.  I wonder if that would allow for more headroom.  If any posters here have the version with the sunroof, does it allow for a little extra headroom?

I tested the top end model with sunroof at my local Ford dealer and it was not enough headroom for me., if you are 2 inches shorter maybe its OK, top of my head touched the ceiling to the right of the sunroof ( its 2 inches lower close to the right side of the car compared to the area close to the sunroof)

I would NEVER rent an Everest or any ride come to that I don't have to I own a Toyota.
The reason I know what they hire out is I have a friend that dose. And has done for the last 3 years when he arrives from Aus: Always for a few months hire each time. The only thing he ever gets offered is a Mux that he has now, or Fortuner that he prefers. So nothing confusing about it.
While I'm at it they don't rent out Mistu P: either. Reason for that I don't know. He did ask about the Ford as he wanted to try one.

My wife refuses to have Toyota rental when she goes to her home town 3 or 4 times a year as they ride like crap, have cheap interiors and are generally gutless.

It's amazing how ones eyes open when one makes an effort to try different things.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

My wife refuses to have Toyota rental when she goes to her home town 3 or 4 times a year as they ride like crap, have cheap interiors and are generally gutless.

It's amazing how ones eyes open when one makes an effort to try different things.

OOOOOPs seem to have struck a nerve. You don't own a Ford Everest by any chance???

In time you'll learn to live with the old fashioned design. And it's dodgy engine and gearbox.

Tip. Don't plan any long trips or you might not make it.

OOOOOPs seem to have struck a nerve. You don't own a Ford Everest by any chance???
In time you'll learn to live with the old fashioned design. And it's dodgy engine and gearbox.
Tip. Don't plan any long trips or you might not make it.

No, I don't. I couldn't justify having a 7 seat SUV, but if I did need one then it's the best one available here and the obvious choice unless you like wasting money on Toyota's mediocrity.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

30 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

No, I don't. I couldn't justify having a 7 seat SUV, but if I did need one then it's the best one available here and the obvious choice unless you like wasting money on Toyota's mediocrity.

Don't you get tired of defending Fords? You don't make Fords look any better by criticising the competition all the time.

Edited by giddyup

Don't you get tired of defending Fords? You don't make Fords look any better by criticising the competition all the time.

I'm not defending Ford. I'm criticising Toyotas by saying that the only people who buy them can't have bothered test driving anything else or they wouldn't have bought them.

5 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I'm not defending Ford. I'm criticising Toyotas by saying that the only people who buy them can't have bothered test driving anything else or they wouldn't have bought them.

can't have bothered test driving anything else

You mean like a Ford?

51 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Perhaps their number 1 on their check list was reliability year after year so didn't need to go to number 2........

Perhaps their number 1 on their check list was reliability year after year so didn't need to go to number 2........

So you're saying that Toyota are the only reliable cars available here? Or that you can't have reliability and good car design in the same package?

17 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

So you're saying that Toyota are the only reliable cars available here? Or that you can't have reliability and good car design in the same package?

All depends what you refer to as a good design. If you personally don't like a particular manufacturers stuff then you probably will dismiss their reliability fact.

22 hours ago, transam said:

But my old Toyota has a Temp gauge, the handbook clearly states that if the needle gets to the red mark stop the ride..

I have had hoses let go in the past, the cab gets full of coolant smell and a look under the hood ensues..:smile:

Yes, I agree, but the likes of you and I with a bit more than just a passing interest in the gubbins under the bonnet, will observe the needle going into the red zone or the dashboard lighting up and we both know what hot antifreeze smells like.

Does the average Somchai?

21 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I rented for the best part of 5 years between 2005 and 2011 and your are dead right that the pickup and/or SUV of choice for just about all the car rental shops is the Vigo and Fortuner. On a couple of occasion I ended up with a Mitsubishi Space-something that went like shower if sh!t but drunk fuel at alarming rates. Once or twice Honda CR-V's were offered but since Mrs NL had one already, I would look for something different... even if it was just another Vigo/Fortuner. Decent enough, fit for purpose, never died on me yet. Never had  an Isuzu of any ilk appear on anyone's inventory... maybe AoT Limo bought all the MUX's.

Thanks for reconfirming that there was no serious content in your post then.

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

Like anything. Step out of a Honda into a Toyota and its like going back in time 15 years.

I have a friend who had a Honda Civic. In the 5 years he owned it he had 2 lots of rear wheel bearings and the air con: replaced. Has now chopped it in for a Toyota. Peed of with paying out.

Thank Buddha he never brought a small Ford or he would have been in BKK like the rest of the Ford owners demanding their monies back.

57 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I love your jests. Good car design!. You cant be referring to the dated front end on an Everest. Or their lack of 2 glove boxes 1 that chills things. & Toyota are behind the times???  

Keep up the good work I do need a funny joke now and then.

Must admit though that the lack of an ashtray on most modern lumps is a real bummer. Where I would like to ask does one put the tooth picks. 

I love your jests. Good car design!. You cant be referring to the dated front end on an Everest. Or their lack of 2 glove boxes 1 that chills things. & Toyota are behind the times???  
Keep up the good work I do need a funny joke now and then.

Must admit though that the lack of an ashtray on most modern lumps is a real bummer. Where I would like to ask does one put the tooth picks. 

The centre storage is chilled in the Everest. The suspension is significantly more controlled. The interior was designed by a team, rather than 3 people who have never met. The Fortuna is hideous and can't match the Everest in any area (as is consistently reinforced on every head to head test I have ever watched).

You've either never driven one or are embarrassed that you spent a significant lump of money on a poorly designed vehicle that rides worse than Ranger (yes, it does).