Internet cafes - online teaching?

So I was always sceptical about online teaching, but after a little research, it seems like a legit (and promising) opportunity. 

The only problem is that I don't have the necessary tech (desktop, fast internet, headphones etc.) 

So I was wondering about internet cafes. I remember going to one in Germany that had private booths for Skype calls etc. 

Does anyone know if there are internet cafes like this in BKK, or if this idea is even feasible?

I have heard great things about online teaching, and it's very flexible... I just need to find a (cheap) place to do it. 

Thanks in advance!

There many Internet Cafes in Bangkok, but most are located near schools so usually are filled with pimply faced teens playing online games and updating social networking apps.

This is 2017 you need to have a computer to survive just about anywhere, why are you resistant to getting a computer ? And then you can wire your condo with high speed net and be good to go...but if you have no money for a computer or Internet, and Internet Cafe is not going to be a solution of course because they also charge money to sit there and use their systems.

Not sure why the first respondant was so nasty....guess it's in his nature.

I used to know a young guy here who thought French over the Internet here in Pattaya. I think he had a computer in his condo because sometimes he would complain about the Internet going down and how he was loseing money over it.

Havn't seen him for a few years now but if he could do it no reason why you can't.

Hope it all goes well for you and good luck. 

PS. Don't mind some posters on.here, I can guarentee you that there are some very nice and helpful ones too. GB.

Just to clarify:

I will only be spending another 3 - 4 months here in Thailand, before moving on again. Online teaching seems like a great option because of the flexibility and you can choose your hours. 

I have a laptop of course but it's old, and the shared WiFi at my apartment is probably too slow to meet minimum requirements. 

I'm not going to buy an expensive PC when I'm only going to be here for another 4 months. So that's why I was wondering about internet cafes with private booths because that would seem like the perfect solution. Afaik internet cafes here are cheap. 

Anyway I was just curious. Otherwise I will have to stick with the traditional language schools here... I'm not sure if the y will take me on for just 4months. We'll see...

15 minutes ago, mintberrycrunch said:

Just to clarify:

I will only be spending another 3 - 4 months here in Thailand, before moving on again. Online teaching seems like a great option because of the flexibility and you can choose your hours. 

I have a laptop of course but it's old, and the shared WiFi at my apartment is probably too slow to meet minimum requirements. 

I'm not going to buy an expensive PC when I'm only going to be here for another 4 months. So that's why I was wondering about internet cafes with private booths because that would seem like the perfect solution. Afaik internet cafes here are cheap. 

Anyway I was just curious. Otherwise I will have to stick with the traditional language schools here... I'm not sure if the y will take me on for just 4months. We'll see...

Language school won't care if you are only staying for 4 months. The reality is that if you can work weekends and nights (the crappy shifts) they will be more than glad to have you.

I have removed the unhelpful post.   Those kind of remarks are not permitted here in the teaching forum.  

There are fewer internet shops than some years back, but I believe there are still plenty around.    I have never seen anything with private booths.   Most of them have the computers in very open view, otherwise, God only knows what people would be looking at.  

I used to know a young guy here who thought French over the Internet here in Pattaya...

Is that called "pensive teaching"?  :)

What I used to do when online teaching from Myanmar was to buy a 3g or 4g data 'dongle'.  I found that this was normally adequate for Skype video calls and group whiteboarding, but wasn't fast enough if you were teaching using one of the bespoke learning platforms that some Chinese online schools (VIP Kid etc) use.

IMHO, if you want to teach from a mobile phone, the best application would be LINE app, because that app uses one of the lowest bandwidths to support audio and video - about half of what Skype requires.

11 hours ago, mintberrycrunch said:

Just to clarify:

You will need a workpermit too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a bit of on-line teaching, but you really have to have reliable connections on both ends as well as a quiet, appropriate place to work from. It is much harder to keep students focused and engaged than face-to-face, but it can work with the right students if they are motivated to learn. That is a big 'if', though.

For me, the idea of trying to make it work from an Internet cafe in Bangkok sounds like the perfect recipe for frustration and wasted time/effort.

I would suggest just getting your laptop a good wifi connection and working from your room.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived