Sailing on Reservoirs

grollies

Does anyone know if it is allowed to sail on local resevoirs?

I'll ask around the local Or Bor Dor but thought I'd ask on here too.

There's one big res close by and recently I noticed a jet ski at the restaurant but it was closed so couldn't ask about it.

Plenty of people fish on the banks of the res but no one does from boats. Maybe because we're inland boats are rare? Too hot?

If I could sail on the res then I'd definitely get myself a dingy.

A few years back, the Thai national rowing team (yes, they had one) which consisted of a lightweight four and lightweight sculler, trained on Mabprachan, the main reservoir for Pattaya, before heading off to the world rowing championships.

(Despite being tough-asssed Navy SEALS, they failed to make it past the heats, but never mind, they gave it a go in one of the toughest sports.)

41 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

A few years back, the Thai national rowing team (yes, they had one) which consisted of a lightweight four and lightweight sculler, trained on Mabprachan, the main reservoir for Pattaya, before heading off to the world rowing championships.

(Despite being tough-asssed Navy SEALS, they failed to make it past the heats, but never mind, they gave it a go in one of the toughest sports.)

I used to row a four at Grosvenor Rowing Club in my teens. Hardest sport I ever tried.

I sail a smallish boat in the Gulf and would observe this.  It is just about possible to sail most days and of course very exciting in the rainy season thunderstorm's!!  But outside the winds very modest  lets say 10-20km/hr on the coast  middle hours of the day - and mostly a sea breeze induced by heat rising from the shoreline.

Sailing  windward or on reaches the boat  crew is cool a breeze keep bodies in check.  Breeze drops or sail directly downwind  - crew immediately get hot & tetchy - definitely stifling and uncomfortable - so on goes the engine for artificial breeze  & always sail broad reaches never  sail directly downwind.

I have reservoir sailed (cruised & raced)  in UK - the wind is generally more fickle in the lee of high banks and woodlands -  My feeling is there is not enough wind reliably blowing inland Thailand to get a good sail reliably.

Maybe 'Wind Guru'  could statistically prove this in your location maybe.  Thailand has  not adopted wind turbines - as simply available wind regime does not make it viable

I would  finally observe the 'litmus paper'  is to follow the 'kite boarders' - this very popular in Thailand and they have hunted down the best wind spots for sure.

You might need to get permission from your local wat/monks. A lot of the local reservoirs seem to belong to the wats or seem to be managed by them - the monks say, for example, when people are allowed to fish there etc.

8 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Thai do not sail. So it might be allowed.

I know of one two Thai who would have disagreed.

And that's in addition to sailing clubs at many seaside towns.

king07.jpg

th.jpg

Edited by impulse

check to see who owns the reservoir, I"m sure its the government if its big enough to sail. There are really no laws as long as you don't cause any trouble. I've seen thais bring their own boat to reservoirs to fish.

50 minutes ago, mike324 said:

check to see who owns the reservoir, I"m sure its the government if its big enough to sail. There are really no laws as long as you don't cause any trouble. I've seen thais bring their own boat to reservoirs to fish.

Cheers, it's a big res, about 1k wide x 2k long. I'll ask around.

On 6/29/2017 at 3:19 PM, Dexlowe said:

I'm sure grollies will find this helpful.

31 minutes ago, malt25 said:

I'm sure grollies will find this helpful.

Yes, he will find it helpful as it tells him that reservoirs can be used for recreational purposes, which is what he wanted to know. Is that OK with you?

10 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Yes, he will find it helpful as it tells him that reservoirs can be used for recreational purposes, which is what he wanted to know. Is that OK with you?

Sorry, I don't agree your response is all that helpful. " Despite being tough-asssed Navy SEALS, "  I'm sure any national, government team would be able to train anywhere they wished.

Recreational sailing & Navy seals training for international competition have little in common.

So no, not really ok with me. That ok with you ?