<deleted> is the brown sauce?

Rc2702

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sounds like you were lucky and were spared the abomination that is A1 sauce, it's some American barbecue sauce that can be found festering on the counter tops of Denny's, IHOP, Applebee's and all the other diners from LA to New York.
Not a patch on HP and IMHO only good for removing stains from the toilet bowl !!

Utter trashy reply , you have zero knowledge.

6 minutes ago, ableguy said:

A 1 sauce is thevAmerican version of H P , slightly more runny but has a good taste.

remmember i a am E nglish born bit lived all my working life in the best country in the world.

HP is the best brown sauce. The HP stands for House of Parliament sauce. A corporate take over of the brand wanted to abolish it, but they did not reckon with the MPs making it illegal for them to do so. It was originally create for the houses of Parliament. Most other brown sauces are thin and runny and not so strong on taste.

Tops (Waitrose) is good for all sorts of stuff like that, decent tea bags too, more expensive than the dreaded Lipton's Yellow Label, but they have tea in them.

Supermarkets move things around every so often so you might buy something when you're searching for what you want. Sauce sometimes gets put on the condiments section, happens in the UK not just here, so you might find the HP next to the vinegar and the Colman's next to the ketchup. Shelf-stackers are not exactly known for their intelligence.

Slightly off topic, but !

I have photos of all the stuff we like to keep in the pantry or fridge. If I can't find something in the shop, supermarket, at first glance, I show relevant pic to a shelf stacker. Saves mea lot of time & frustration.

As someone already said, shops here like to shift stuff around all the time. I think they call it "Falang Frustration"

10 hours ago, ableguy said:

A 1 sauce is thevAmerican version of H P , slightly more runny but has a good taste.

remmember i a am E nglish born bit lived all my working life in the best country in the world.

Give us a clue where that is then??

17 hours ago, malt25 said:

Slightly off topic, but !

I have photos of all the stuff we like to keep in the pantry or fridge. If I can't find something in the shop, supermarket, at first glance, I show relevant pic to a shelf stacker. Saves mea lot of time & frustration.

As someone already said, shops here like to shift stuff around all the time. I think they call it "Falang Frustration"

I do that too with a picture or the box, if it beyond my Thai language knowledge.

All supermarkets move things around every so often, nothing to do with Thailand they do it everywhere.

Unless really out in the sticks, most cities have an expat selling delicacies from back home. Do you have any? In Udon Thani we have a couple but they are declining because we have a Villa market, and all the large food stores (Makro, Tops, Tesco and Big C) now usually have an imported foods section. But you do often pay a lot more than back home.

On 6/30/2017 at 3:14 PM, Rc2702 said:

HP sauce is actually available at BIG C 132 baht a bottle looks like 200ml. No where near the red sauce though was a flukey find

Which Big C? I have been to Rama 4, Ekamai, Ratchada, Sold Out.

Foodland Ekamai, Foodland Thong Lor, Foodland Ratchada..... believeit or not sold out

Villa Thong Lor, Villa K.Village ......... yes you guessed it. .... sold out

On 6/30/2017 at 10:30 PM, ableguy said:

I am British. A1 is crap. Too sweet.

Yes, I read that HP was sold to someone or other (European company).

Now I cannot find HP sauce anywhere.

I have seen HP Barbecue and some other HP sauces, but the HP (Houses of Parliament on the bottle ) seems to have disappeared at the moment.