<deleted> is the brown sauce?

Rc2702

Mrs cooks me a decent bit of scrambled eggs toast and some german meat they reckon is bacon. I'm sipping my cup of tea and wondering  somethings missing from my life and then it hits me.... where the <deleted> is the brown sauce?

No can do at big c or tesco so where please? 

Where are you?

HP sauce in Makro, Foodland and Friendship Pattaya. Also seen in Tesco and Big C, but not always.

Something called A1 sauce in Tesco and Big C - I've never tried it. It looks like brown sauce.

If you're near a Tops supermarket ... http://www.tops.co.th/en/search?q=hp+sauce&dept=&brand=&page=1

Edited by chickenslegs

9 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Where are you?

HP sauce in Makro, Foodland and Friendship Pattaya. Also seen in Tesco and Big C, but not always.

Something called A1 sauce in Tesco and Big C - I've never tried it. It looks like brown sauce.

If you're near a Tops supermarket ... http://www.tops.co.th/en/search?q=hp+sauce&dept=&brand=&page=1

North east in a shady little city but a makro just opened so I'm all in for this A1 will report back it could be an absolute lifesaver.

What is a Liverpool supporting Brummie doing in Newcastle?

Your little piece of England is no longer made in the UK. It was outsauced to the continent. Thais do a decent black pudding if you can persuade your better half to find you some.

7 hours ago, champers said:

Your little piece of England is no longer made in the UK. It was outsauced to the continent. Thais do a decent black pudding if you can persuade your better half to find you some.

Where in Thailand is Newcastle champers....:sad:

27 minutes ago, champers said:

The brown sauce is on the shelves at most shops in the UK so I'm not sure what your getting at with Newcastle.  Maybe it was first produced there or something but it's just a bit of brown I'm after not a heritage reminder. 

Edited by Rc2702

14 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

North east in a shady little city but a makro just opened so I'm all in for this A1 will report back it could be an absolute lifesaver.

Where is the NE?  Take a look at this website:  nookiesdelights.3baht.net

He is based near Buriram, and delivers to Khon Kaen and Korat every 6 weeks.

HP Sauce (glass bottle) 100Tb

HP Sauce (Squeazy bottle and nearly double quantity) 170Tb

Not only that, his Product List is amazing, and so is the food!!!!

Nja, A1 and HP sauce is not going to make you fly when you want brown sauce. It´s even a disgrace that somebody even would try to compare that crap with a real brown sauce. Shame!

Now it´s going to be real simple. If your missus can fix bacon, scrambled eggs and toast you would easily get her to fix you a nice brown sauce. This ain´t rocket sience. Here we are talking a simple creamy and tasty Espagnole, that can easily be made into a Bordelaise sauce or a Brown mushroom Sauce. Keep the good face up! Here it comes.....

Brown Sauce

½ cup onions, diced

¼ cup carrots, diced

¼ cup celery, diced

1 oz butter

1 oz all-purpose flour

3 cups brown stock (i.e. beef stock) You can use Knorr if you ain´t picky!

2 Tbsp tomato purée

1 bay leaf

½ tsp thyme

3–4 fresh parsley stems

7–8 whole black peppercorns

Fold the bay leaf, thyme, parley stems and peppercorns in a square of cheese cloth, and tie the corners with a piece of kitchen twine. Leave the string long enough so that you can tie it to the handle of your pot to make it easier to retrieve it. 

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat until it becomes frothy.

Add the mirepoix and sauté for a few minutes until it's lightly browned. Don't let it burn, though.

With a wooden spoon, stir the flour into the mirepoix a little bit at a time, until it is fully incorporated and forms a thick paste (this is your roux). Lower the heat and cook the roux for another five minutes or so, until it just starts to take on a very light brown color. Don't let it burn, though!

Using a wire whisk, slowly add the stock and tomato purée to the roux, whisking vigorously to make sure it's free of lumps.

Bring to a boil, lower heat, add the sachet and simmer for about 50 minutes or until the total volume has reduced by about one-third, stirring frequently to make sure the sauce doesn't scorch at the bottom of the pan. Use a ladle to skim off any impurities that rise to the surface. Remove the sauce from the heat and retrieve the sachet. For an extra smooth consistency, carefully pour the sauce through a wire mesh strainer lined with a piece of cheesecloth.

Yummy! And all you can find in Big C or Macro, Tops, Tesco Lotus

There´s nothing like the real stuff, Dude! If you can´t teach, it´s worth all the time spent with the pots all by yourself. Cheers!

11 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Nja, A1 and HP sauce is not going to make you fly when you want brown sauce. It´s even a disgrace that somebody even would try to compare that crap with a real brown sauce. Shame!

Now it´s going to be real simple. If your missus can fix bacon, scrambled eggs and toast you would easily get her to fix you a nice brown sauce. This ain´t rocket sience. Here we are talking a simple creamy and tasty Espagnole, that can easily be made into a Bordelaise sauce or a Brown mushroom Sauce. Keep the good face up! Here it comes.....

Brown Sauce

½ cup onions, diced

¼ cup carrots, diced

¼ cup celery, diced

1 oz butter

1 oz all-purpose flour

3 cups brown stock (i.e. beef stock) You can use Knorr if you ain´t picky!

2 Tbsp tomato purée

1 bay leaf

½ tsp thyme

3–4 fresh parsley stems

7–8 whole black peppercorns

Fold the bay leaf, thyme, parley stems and peppercorns in a square of cheese cloth, and tie the corners with a piece of kitchen twine. Leave the string long enough so that you can tie it to the handle of your pot to make it easier to retrieve it. 

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat until it becomes frothy.

Add the mirepoix and sauté for a few minutes until it's lightly browned. Don't let it burn, though.

With a wooden spoon, stir the flour into the mirepoix a little bit at a time, until it is fully incorporated and forms a thick paste (this is your roux). Lower the heat and cook the roux for another five minutes or so, until it just starts to take on a very light brown color. Don't let it burn, though!

Using a wire whisk, slowly add the stock and tomato purée to the roux, whisking vigorously to make sure it's free of lumps.

Bring to a boil, lower heat, add the sachet and simmer for about 50 minutes or until the total volume has reduced by about one-third, stirring frequently to make sure the sauce doesn't scorch at the bottom of the pan. Use a ladle to skim off any impurities that rise to the surface. Remove the sauce from the heat and retrieve the sachet. For an extra smooth consistency, carefully pour the sauce through a wire mesh strainer lined with a piece of cheesecloth.

Yummy! And all you can find in Big C or Macro, Tops, Tesco Lotus

There´s nothing like the real stuff, Dude! If you can´t teach, it´s worth all the time spent with the pots all by yourself. Cheers!

I will save this post for reading when I have a spare week on my hands. For the time being the HP Sauce from big c will suffice but thanks for your 500 word essay on how to avoid buying brown sauce. well worth it will pay dividends I'm sure.

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I will save this post for reading when I have a spare week on my hands. For the time being the HP Sauce from big c will suffice but thanks for your 500 word essay on how to avoid buying brown sauce. well worth it will pay dividends I'm sure.

I aim to please! :passifier:

4 hours ago, JustinCredible said:

Where is the NE?  Take a look at this website:  nookiesdelights.3baht.net

He is based near Buriram, and delivers to Khon Kaen and Korat every 6 weeks.

HP Sauce (glass bottle) 100Tb

HP Sauce (Squeazy bottle and nearly double quantity) 170Tb

Not only that, his Product List is amazing, and so is the food!!!!

very good if you live nr Korat/kon kean

Mrs cooks me a decent bit of scrambled eggs toast and some german meat they reckon is bacon. I'm sipping my cup of tea and wondering  somethings missing from my life and then it hits me.... where the <deleted> is the brown sauce?

Don't worry, the brown sauce will come out in a few hours after eating when you go for a poop. Be patient my friend.

Do you mean  Horse Power Sauce or better known as HP Sauce, Makro is the Home of HP sauce,

Foodland Supermarket always seem to run  out

Not see it at Tesco for ages 

Horse Power Sauce for life,

Sounds like you were lucky and were spared the abomination that is A1 sauce, it's some American barbecue sauce that can be found festering on the counter tops of Denny's, IHOP, Applebee's and all the other diners from LA to New York.
Not a patch on HP and IMHO only good for removing stains from the toilet bowl !!

22 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Sounds like Kalasin then. Two bottles of HP for around 180 or so at Makro. Big C has it 132 for one. Saw them today. Enjoy.

23 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Where are you?

A 1 sauce is thevAmerican version of H P , slightly more runny but has a good taste.

remmember i a am E nglish born bit lived all my working life in the best country in the world.