What discourages snakes from coming round?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, cliveshep said:

Is that with or without a diesel oil salad dressing?

Clive - a very refreshing dry wit you have.

i never seen a snake- - but have that fine black plastic mesh on all fences, gates etc. have no idea if that keeps them out? 

Geese dropping keep snake away but not ducks,ducks are their food and geese chase snake away.

As for sulphur,it does chase snake away as when snake touch it,they will have chemical reaction on them

And they can die (don't believe me,try it on snake yourself) 

But it'll be washed away after rain.

People used to burn sulphur in camp fire,let the smoke blow into the rubber plantation before tapping latex 

in the old days. (In Singapore)

Short cut grass around the living quarters and a Jack Russell Terrier will keep most snakes away. That terrier is FEARLESS!5956e0e733028_JackRussellTerrier.jpg.58b993aae5a07f64be0bfed19550dd4d.jpg    I am presupposing you cannot lay your hands on a family of mongeese. 

13 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

What is "mongeese"?

More than one mongoose?  555  Never thought to check the plural of mongoose. But there is some debate whether it should be mongooses or mongeese. That's the English language for you. You can have a goose (the bird) or more than one are geese. Cie la vie.

17 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Sadly it appears you are correct. 

Some people just can't (or don't know how to) "live and let live".... and are proud of it?

How about your animal friends? They live and let live?

I would not sprinkle any stuff around your property just in case your puppies eat. As already mentioned the best method is to adopt a Soi dog.

5957129964319_2012081106.JPG.85fbe072d71d1cb96b110d0773f7631b.JPG

Even as a puppy the black dog was warning us.

Snakes are part of Thailand and can be found anywhere. So as a golden rule, do not put your hand (or any other body part) in a places where you can not see. Also throwing things at them is risky, your Wife was lucky. If you can not shoo it away, use a grappler and throw it over the fence.

Whilst on the subject of unwanted house guests, anyone know how the stop these guys copulating in my pool.:smile:

59571581a9091_20050710.jpg.8fceb5ef6ce2dce53617fa932d361995.jpg

I am not sure about dogs as snake repellents....

I often see snakes disappearing in the distance, they avoid confrontation.

The only 2 cobras I ever saw close to our house, were cornered by our dogs.

Any noise or movement / vibrations seem to repel snakes.

Chickens would probably help, but I prefer the occasional cobra over chickens....

On the construction sites in India the guys put down Carbolic Acid to keep the snakes away.

Cobras are a serious problem, especially when the monsoon season arrives and the snakes are forced up out of their underground lairs.

The site areas we have that are treated with Carbolic Acid certainly have significantly lower snake bite incident rates than untreated areas.

Don't put it where your dogs can get to it though, I'm told it's pretty poisonous.

18 hours ago, shoregold said:

Plant some lemongrass on your property. They don't like that

10 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Keep your grassed areas mown. Snakes don't like short grass as it exposes them to predation from birds etc

I have a lemongrass 'clump' in front of the patio, but still see the odd snake on the patio and (one time) was alerted by my dogs to a snake in the clump!

The grass in my garden is always short, but I still see the occasional snake around the house....  Having said this, I do agree that keeping the grass short is likely to be a less 'inviting' area to visit, as its very difficult for them to hide.

3 hours ago, Kron said:

I would not sprinkle any stuff around your property just in case your puppies eat. As already mentioned the best method is to adopt a Soi dog.

5957129964319_2012081106.JPG.85fbe072d71d1cb96b110d0773f7631b.JPG

Even as a puppy the black dog was warning us.

Snakes are part of Thailand and can be found anywhere. So as a golden rule, do not put your hand (or any other body part) in a places where you can not see. Also throwing things at them is risky, your Wife was lucky. If you can not shoo it away, use a grappler and throw it over the fence.

Whilst on the subject of unwanted house guests, anyone know how the stop these guys copulating in my pool.:smile:

59571581a9091_20050710.jpg.8fceb5ef6ce2dce53617fa932d361995.jpg

I used to keep empty pots on the other side of a low patio wall - until reaching over to grab a pot (without looking) on one occasion.  I'm not sure who was more terrified - me or the BIG brown/black snake that suddenly shot off!

Needless to say, pots were moved elsewhere and I don't put my hand anywhere without checking first nowadays!

Off topic, but I've also been suprised by centipedes under pots and in the soil - so be wary when moving pots and when moving plants into bigger pots.

We put a hens egg out on the lawn, as a birds nest, (a wren or sparrow or similar small bird) which had one egg and one hatchling in it was raided a day later. The nest was in a bush just under our lounge window so pretty close to the ground.

The egg was still there 3 days later, in the end i picked it up and had it for breakfast. My wife told me that the snake had scratches on it's body, and the feeling is that it was dropped by a bird that had picked it up to eat and dropped it. Apparently the day before it appeared in my garden it was seen outside a neighbours house who swept it off with a broom. So that is how we got it they think.

I suspect geckos or a frog raided the nest, we have tokai and an abundance of frogs here and with the nest so close to the ground. The large hen's egg we were sure would be taken by a snake were any about.

Hopefully we aren't living in a fools paradise! We'll be extra careful from now on though.

On 6/30/2017 at 4:08 PM, nervona81732 said:

Saan, you stole my line. LOL. thats what i was going to recommend. Btw, where would one get a mongoose in Thailand?  That sounds interesting.

I understand they can be bought at local markets but it is illegal to have one as they are native fauna.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a female cat that wasn't afraid of most things. She refused to run from dogs. My wife was yelling for me from in front of the garage. I walked out there and there was a very large snake. It had a big bulge just behind the head like it had swallowed something. It wasn't in any hurry to crawl off. The cat wanted to see what was happening and she came out of the garage. When she saw the snake, she somehow did  U turn in mid air and hit the ground running away. She wanted nothing to do with that snake.

As far as lemon grass, I was walking around one of our ponds. The wife had a very large clump of lemon grass growing at the corner of the pond. I was maybe five feet from that clump and a huge snake stood up in the middle of the clump. It really scared me and I backed up so quick that I fell on my butt. When I looked back up the snake was gone and I then saw it swimming across the pond. No way could I describe the snake because I was on the ground and on my back.

In my experiences, so much for cats and lemon grass keeping snakes away..

I often hear that snakes do not like noise or vibrations, not sure if that is correct.

But if so, maybe there are devises that produce high? low? sounds or vibrations in the soil that keep the snakes away?

Anybody?

And no, I do not mean karaoke bars 555.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I often hear that snakes do not like noise or vibrations, not sure if that is correct.

But if so, maybe there are devises that produce high? low? sounds or vibrations in the soil that keep the snakes away?

Anybody?

Def Leppard?

17 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Anybody?

I once read somewhere that they are constantly moving snakes away from airports. So if the vibration from a 747 isn't scaring a snake away, I doubt those devices would work. I think many snakes are deaf also in relation to the noise. 

We used to get told to stamp loudly as kids when walking in the bush to scare snakes away. Then a snake expert once came to our school and stamped really loudly whilst surrounded by 20 odd snakes. Didn't have any impact on any of them. 

5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I once read somewhere that they are constantly moving snakes away from airports. So if the vibration from a 747 isn't scaring a snake away, I doubt those devices would work. I think many snakes are deaf also in relation to the noise. 

We used to get told to stamp loudly as kids when walking in the bush to scare snakes away. Then a snake expert once came to our school and stamped really loudly whilst surrounded by 20 odd snakes. Didn't have any impact on any of them. 

Oh <shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite>.

That means it is US or THEM?

I think the answer is simple.

Edited by oldhippy
<deleted> was deleted. How about shiiiIiiiite?

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Oh <deleted>.

That means it is US or THEM?

I think the answer is simple.

Dog cornered a big one the other day, then when I came out to see what she was barking at the snake made its get away (found a toad bleeding - snake missed out on her lunch). Then a day later found asmall one dead in the dogs mouth. But I think a chicken killed it, because i also found some chicken bones and feathers in the area. Guess the food chain goes small snake, chicken, dog.

But yes, us vs them unfortunately sometimes. Our house is a metre above the ground which helps, the in-laws are always having snakes threatening to enter as it is ground level.

Edited by wildewillie89

On 7/1/2017 at 3:06 AM, bbbbooboo said:

Keep your grassed areas mown. Snakes don't like short grass as it exposes them to predation from birds etc

I have tile all around my house and the snakes can be found at night curled up on the tile awaiting frogs and anything else that comes along.  Many snakes hunt at night and birds don't except owls I guess. 

I believe that humans are superior to snakes.

Average humans can not know the difference between dangerous and not dangerous snakes.

I prefer to err on the safe side.

Sorry for the non dangerous snakes.

And of course, make your house & garden unpleasant for snakes - cut the grass, avoid rubbish.

But if you live in a 3 rai garden in the middle of nowhere such as me, don't ask questions. Kill them on sight.

As the Thais do.

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I believe that humans are superior to snakes.

Average humans can not know the difference between dangerous and not dangerous snakes.

I prefer to err on the safe side.

Sorry for the non dangerous snakes.

And of course, make your house & garden unpleasant for snakes - cut the grass, avoid rubbish.

But if you live in a 3 rai garden in the middle of nowhere such as me, don't ask questions. Kill them on sight.

As the Thais do.

Yep. Even though I don't enjoy doing it, if I see a snake I will get a shovel and chop its head off. I just do not have the knowledge of the different types of local snakes here. I have been bitten by pet snakes but I knew they were harmless so it didn't matter so no need for any fear (as snake bites are just little pricks). If I find a dead snake near the dog I usually send the photo to a friend at the local hospital to tell me if I need to worry about if it bit the dog or not. I don't necessarily believe humans are above snakes, I just see it as a survival thing. They may strike us out of fear, and we strike them out of fear.