What discourages snakes from coming round?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spray paint their tails orange and spray them with insect spray.  It chases them away and with the orange tail you can tell if they come back.  PS if a snake with an orange tail bites you I'm really sorry. 

17 minutes ago, amvet said:

Spray paint their tails orange and spray them with insect spray.  It chases them away and with the orange tail you can tell if they come back.  PS if a snake with an orange tail bites you I'm really sorry. 

hehehe

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

Yep. Even though I don't enjoy doing it, if I see a snake I will get a shovel and chop its head off. I just do not have the knowledge of the different types of local snakes here. I have been bitten by pet snakes but I knew they were harmless so it didn't matter so no need for any fear (as snake bites are just little pricks). If I find a dead snake near the dog I usually send the photo to a friend at the local hospital to tell me if I need to worry about if it bit the dog or not. I don't necessarily believe humans are above snakes, I just see it as a survival thing. They may strike us out of fear, and we strike them out of fear. 

You seriously think this 'helps' in any way?

Living in a relatively quiet area (and having seen many!), I know that there are a multitude of snakes nearby.  Fortunately the majority seem to be golden tree snakes, although I've also seen cobras (adult and babies),  and others that I've assumed to be rat snakes.

None of them are keen to hang around when they see either my dogs or myself, and quickly bug.er off - those I've come across are as concerned as myself to escape.

I've never understood the mentality of 'KILL' - it MAY be dangerous....

(apart from mossies :sad:)

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Living in a relatively quiet area (and having seen many!), I know that there are a multitude of snakes nearby.  Fortunately the majority seem to be golden tree snakes, although I've also seen cobras (adult and babies),  and others that I've assumed to be rat snakes.

None of them are keen to hang around when they see either my dogs or myself, and quickly bug.er off - those I've come across are as concerned as myself to escape.

The very first snake I did kill was making movements towards the inside of the in-laws house where my baby was. That was after the neighbour had already had a few attempts to kill it himself...the snake did not retreat. So I went up and took the pole he had and finished it myself, as he was trying to stay as far back as he could (thus affecting his accuracy). So in this case, yes, I believe it helped a great deal. On closer inspection, that particular snake was considered dangerous by the villagers. 

The second encounter was my 6 month old pup alerting me that a snake was climbing up the outside cot that my baby was being rocked in by her grandmother. The snake had no issues with going near people. 

Obviously for a matter for it to be us vs them then it implies the snake is in quite close proximity to the house/person. It does not imply a person is running around looking for every single snake to kill in the world. That is what the dog has become actually pretty good at as she matures. Will give a specific pitched bark if a snake is within 5-10 metres of the house.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

(apart from mossies :sad:) If the source was to be believed, just why the hell did Noah save two mosquitoes?

But then again, Noah was the worlds greatest financier - he floated company when the rest of the world was in liquidation. Have to give credit where credit is due.

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording

Just now, wildewillie89 said:

The very first snake I did kill was making movements towards the inside of the in-laws house where my baby was. That was after the neighbour had already had a few attempts to kill it himself...the snake did not retreat. So I went up and took the pole he had and finished it myself, as he was trying to stay as far back as he could (thus affecting his accuracy). So in this case, yes, I believe it helped a great deal. On closer inspection, that particular snake was considered dangerous by the villagers. 

The second encounter was my 6 month old pup alerting me that a snake was climbing up the outside cot that my baby was being rocked in by her grandmother. The snake had no issues with going near people. 

Obviously for a matter for it to be us vs them then it implies the snake is in quite close proximity to the house/person. It does not imply a person is running around looking for every single snake to kill in the world. That is what the dog has become actually pretty good at as she matures. Will give a specific pitched bark if a snake is within 5-10 metres of the house.

Yes, I too have seen snakes close to/in my house.

It was "making movements towards the inside of the in-laws house where my baby was" - is just an excuse....

Takes me by suprise that a snake being hacked at by someone trying to kill it, resorted to attack - rather than retreat/run away.....

Don't even start me on "On closer inspection, that particular snake was considered dangerous by the villagers." :laugh:

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes, I too have seen snakes close to/in my house.

It was "making movements towards the inside of the in-laws house where my baby was" - is just an excuse....

Takes me by suprise that a snake being hacked at by someone trying to kill it, resorted to attack - rather than retreat/run away.....

Don't even start me on "On closer inspection, that particular snake was considered dangerous by the villagers." :laugh:

If you are happy to let a snake enter a room with a baby then that is completely up to you. I, however, was not prepared to let the situation occur. Each to their own.

Seems, the locals, were also not prepared to let it happen the fact the neighbour came from his own land to try and help the situation. 

I find the fact the snake was heading in the direction towards the house hardly an excuse. What is it an excuse for? Should I have asked the snake, 'hey, why is it this direction you are heading, I need to tell the reasoning to a poster on TV?' 

As for being deemed 'dangerous', seeing as I had no hospital contacts at the time of the event, and I myself am not an expert on Thai snakes. I had no reason not to believe what the locals said. Next time I will ask it to pause, quickly take a photo of it and find out what it is...and just hope it hasn't entered the house where a curious baby is crawling around :).

Edited by wildewillie89

4 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

If you are happy to let a snake enter a room with a baby then that is completely up to you. I, however, was not prepared to let the situation occur. Each to their own.

Seems, the locals, were also not prepared to let it happen the fact the neighbour came from his own land to try and help the situation. 

I find the fact the snake was heading in the direction towards the house hardly an excuse. What is it an excuse for? Should I have asked the snake, 'hey, why is it this direction you are heading, I need to tell the reasoning to a poster on TV?' 

As for being deemed 'dangerous', seeing as I had no hospital contacts at the time of the event, and I myself am not an expert on Thai snakes. I had no reason not to believe what the locals said. Next time I will ask it to pause, quickly take a photo of it and find out what it is...and just hope it hasn't entered the house where a curious baby is crawling around :).

Hang on - its changed from "making movements towards the inside of the in-laws house where my baby was"  to about to "enter a room with a baby".... 

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I googled it.

No usefull results.

Googled? :whistling:

The key words are;  "... why not ask some Aussies..."  :thumbsup:

I would suggest that many  farmers keep the lawns (if they are lucky enough to have) short around their homes and own one or more Jack Russell Terriers.

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Hang on - its changed from "making movements towards the inside of the in-laws house where my baby was"  to about to "enter a room with a baby".... 

Just now, wildewillie89 said:

Starting to look a little bit pathetic now with how pedantic you're being. A little bored with life today?

Literally those two sentences have the exact same conclusion. The result regardless is the end location. Which is the room where the baby is, which believe it or not, is in the in-laws house. Shock horror, the room was actually located in a house....who would have guessed that is where rooms belonged...in houses. WOW!

Pointing out the obvious difference between your earlier and later post is not being pedantic - its pointing out the obvious.

17 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Googled? :whistling:

The key words are;  "... why not ask some Aussies..."  :thumbsup:

I would suggest that many  farmers keep the lawns (if they are lucky enough to have) short around their homes and own one or more Jack Russell Terriers.

From my experience, cobras usually move away when they notice me - the 3 times they came close to me / our house, they were cornered by our dogs. So much for dogs as deterrent.

Still I am not going to take a chance - see them, kill them.

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Pointing out the obvious difference between your earlier and later post is not being pedantic - its pointing out the obvious.

When a snake moves towards the inside of a house, where is it going? It is wanting to enter a room? Or is there a whole new definition of 'house' I am not aware of?

Obvious difference? Differences in language is completely separate to a difference in conclusion. If the snake ended up in a neighbours house, that would be a difference in conclusion. The fact the snake ended up moving towards the one building, whether you say room or house is irrelevant, as the conclusion remains. Judging from your quote, it seems I never said the snake 'entered' either the room or house. If I had of in one, then yes, your reasoning would stand. But I didn't, so I don't know why you are obsessed with it.

The fact this is even being discussed just shows our original discussion fell on its head pretty fast, which I will take as meaning I had just cause for the actions.

I am sure we are boring the thread, as I too feel bored of discussing a non-issue. 

Edited by wildewillie89

14 hours ago, oldhippy said:

From my experience, cobras usually move away when they notice me - the 3 times they came close to me / our house, they were cornered by our dogs. So much for dogs as deterrent.

Still I am not going to take a chance - see them, kill them.

As with humans, not all dogs are the same! Google Jack Russell Terrier. I have seen them in action, they are fearless. And the 'good news' is that they are replaceable. :smile: 

Best, would be a family of Mongeese otherwise use this dog.