What discourages snakes from coming round?

Having had a young monocled cobra rear up to my wife outside the front door (she picked up a handy sledge hammer and threw it luckily killing the snake) as on another thread what was suggested was that, as my wife fears, more of it's siblings could be nearby.  And before any tree-huggers want to weigh in - the welfare of venomous snakes is nowhere on my agenda - sorry!

We have 3 puppies 6 months old, and a family pet brought with us at huge expense from the UK that has no racial instinct for snakes, and my Thai wife who hates snakes of all types and is terrified of them regardless if venomous or not and I also confess fear and loathing of them.

I have a workshop out the front in one corner of the yard, all openings are covered in mosquito mesh although it is by no means certain that amongst the piles of stuff stored a nest of snakes couldn't be found, there are high level crevices after all, and between this shed and the boundary wall in a 2 foot 60cm gap is stored a grp dinghy, a double extension ladder, and that favourite of snakes, I suspect, some bits of poly-pipe left over from works here. All with a pile of stock steel bits and smaller ladders etc. In other words a 2 feet no-go area remaining untouched essentially all year.

So it is a possible location for snakes to nest, the garden being regularly used and the dogs digging it up it has been turned over pretty thoroughly and regularly.although it is to be honest on a sand fill around the house.

IF we have snakes - do noxious smells make them want to go away? I'm thinking a good spray of diesel up the back of the shed won't hurt the boat or ladders etc but might discourage reptiles?

Anyone got any helpful advice here?

Edited by cliveshep

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no 'solution' -  although once your puppies grow up they are likely to be a deterrent.

As the poster that pointed out that if there is one baby snake spotted, there are going to be many others around (sound advice I thought?) - I'd add that even once your pups have grown up, you're still going to get the odd snake near the house....

Sympathise entirely with the imported dog not having the first idea about snakes, as hearing the barking of my dogs  - I was horrified to go out to investigate and see my imported dog (who clearly had no idea of the danger) WAY too close to a rearing cobra in the garden!

Fortunately, my adopted soi dog (still miss and think of you Coco ) somehow taught my imported dog to be wary of aggressive snakes.

Edited by dick dasterdly

IMG_3690.thumb.JPG.bd00c23bf3c90a86ace457d4887ee6d5.JPG

There is this yellow stuff that can be crushed to dust and spread to areas where you want to keep the snakes away. We use it in our country house. No idea how it's called -my wife buys it every season. Can't be too certain about its effectiveness but I think I does help. 

I rember back in ozz at gramdmars farm she always planted GRANDMARS TOUNG around the outside fence and also against the house, never saw a snake inside her fence, plenty of Tiger Snake every were else. have see it in Chang Rai

5 minutes ago, soumanioco said:

IMG_3690.thumb.JPG.bd00c23bf3c90a86ace457d4887ee6d5.JPG

There is this yellow stuff that can be crushed to dust and spread to areas where you want to keep the snakes away. We use it in our country house. No idea how it's called -my wife buys it every season. Can't be too certain about its effectiveness but I think I does help. 

My cleaner puts this around the house whenever she sees a snake.... It doesn't work.

To look on the bright side, my Thai cleaner doesn't want to kill either - and we have spent a few 'entertaining' hours chasing snakes out of/away from the house!

31 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

There is no 'solution' -  although once your puppies grow up they are likely to be a deterrent.

Cats are better at annoying snakes than dogs. When I was living in Africa I remember a neighbor had a dog who would grab onto any snake he could and then fling it quite impressively into the air while everyone in the vicinity would run for cover lest it return to earth next to them.

On many occasions I saw some of the local feral cats join forces to pester a snake into moving on. On the other hand I had a couple of pampered, American born Siamese stay-in-the-house cats that would alert me when a snake was on the premises by running at about 100 mph hour in exactly the opposite direction from where the snake was.

One of the reasons why primitive or basic African houses have a large surrounding area completely free of any grass, trees, bushes or any other natural ground cover is that snakes avoid areas where they are totally exposed.

In theory people claimed that spreading ashes  around the perimeter would put them off, but of course the ashes would have to be replaced fairly frequently. There are some commercial repellents like Snake-A-Way and Snake Shield. Not sure if they're available locally. Supposedly cinnamon and clove oil work.

Biggest problem we had was when the weather turned cooler many snakes would try to come into the house via the drain holes off the veranda. Cobras don't have a reverse gear so once they were committed to entering that way, there was no turning back. 

Edited by Suradit69

23 minutes ago, Clamhua said:

Sulphur keeps snakes away, geese and duck crap also keeps them away

No no no.. these are myths!

I keep ducks and geese... and have plenty of snakes... in fact, duck and goose crap will INCOURAGE snakes to you land... and they will think there are some delicious plumb ducks for supper!!!!

15 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Cats are better at annoying snakes than dogs. When I was living in Africa I remember a neighbor had a dog who would grab onto any snake he could and then fling it quite impressively into the air while everyone in the vicinity would run for cover lest it return to earth next to them.

On many occasions I saw some of the local feral cats join forces to pester a snake into moving on. On the other hand I had a couple of pampered, American born Siamese stay-in-the-house cats that would alert me when a snake was on the premises by running at about 100 mph hour in exactly the opposite direction from where the snake was.

One of the reasons why primitive or basic African houses have a large surrounding area completely free of any grass, trees, bushes or any other natural ground cover is that snakes avoid areas where they are totally exposed.

In theory people claimed that spreading ashes  around the perimeter would put them off, but of course the ashes would have to be replaced fairly frequently. There are some commercial repellents like Snake-A-Way and Snake Shield. Not sure if they're available locally. Supposedly cinnamon and clove oil work.

Biggest problem we had was when the weather turned cooler many snakes would try to come into the house via the drain holes off the veranda. Cobras don't have a reverse gear so once they were committed to entering that way, there was no turning back. 

The problem is that pet cats spend even more time asleep than pet dogs!

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The problem is that pet cats spend even more time asleep than pet dogs!

I can assure you that both of the cats I had could appear to be dead asleep and yet hear a can opener several rooms away, even behind closed doors.

Dogs tend to be nose first then eyes & ears. Cats are more ears & eyes first, then nose. 

Edited by Suradit69

Hello,

Try this product (see pic).

Its smell should keep snakes away from your home. Just sprinkle a bit around your property and you will be free from snakes (if they come from outside your ground).
Sprinkle it where ever you think they come from.

The smell is awful for snakes and they avoid it.

If you dilute it in water, it's a good insect repellent too...

I don't remember the price (50 THB/pack ?) and you will find it in any garden-  or farmer shop. (Global, ThaiWadsadu and HomePro: No have)

I bought that stuff to try to keep monitors away from my garden... but it doesn't help. Already had to drive 4 of them longer than 1m out of my garden (they jump over the wall).

00a45kje.jpg

6 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

The answer to stop them coming round  is to invite the Chinese as they eat them, the reason there are none in Hong Kong  !!  That is why Pattaya will be snake free one day !!!!  :giggle:

Pretty moronic reply as Hong Kong has more snakes per square mile than most places!

An old trick I learnt from my Grandpa who lived in India was , apart from keeping as much ground clear near the house was to spread gravel, the sharper and smaller the better, around the perimeter. Snakes don't like it to stick to their scales and if it is sharp enough they can feel it. Whether it is 100% effective who knows but at least there is some logic in the method!

2 hours ago, Clamhua said:

Sulphur keeps snakes away, geese and duck crap also keeps them away

This is true, they hate Geese.  I actually used this approach when I was living in Myanmar.  Well the Geese cleaned up the snake problem.  The unintended consequence was that I was overrun with rats ... rats being snake food.

2 hours ago, 2BOB said:

I rember back in ozz at gramdmars farm she always planted GRANDMARS TOUNG around the outside fence and also against the house, never saw a snake inside her fence, plenty of Tiger Snake every were else. have see it in Chang Rai

I take it you mean Mother in Law's Tongue? A mother in law's tongue will keep anything away.:sad:

Use UREA on your lawn if you have a lawn....They hate the irritation they get when they crawl on it....and dont seem to come back once they travel over the lawn...

If that dont work....a 2mtr long bamboo pole swung as hard as you can, usually stops them....lol.

REMEMBER:...if you have a snake in the yard and you kill it....you can be sure there will be another within a day or so...The reason I was told this, is that the second snake is looking for its mate....and usually travels over the same path the one you killed first, came from...

So far, that has proved right around here...