4X4 tractors can get bogged down....

Gary A

Yesterday my farmer wife was rototilling one of her rice paddies. She had finished but decided to cross a paddy dike. She didn't make it. When she got home, I caught her outside with a garden hose trying to wash the worst of the mud off her. She looked like she had been swimming in the mud.  She complained that It cost her two bottles of Lao Kao for a couple of Thai guys to help her get the tractor off the dike. She had thought it was impossible for the tractor with paddy wheels to get bogged down. I wasn't quick enough to get a picture of her.

20170630_090215.jpg

Been there:smile: a few years ago,took some cleaning afterwards.

Saw a video on utube where some guys just put a post thru the steel wheels to get it to come out of the bog.

Is that an extended back plate on the rotary or standard.?

C360_2014-09-03-15-45-51-594.jpg

Edited by farmerjo

59 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Been there:smile: a few years ago,took some cleaning afterwards.

Saw a video on utube where some guys just put a post thru the steel wheels to get it to come out of the bog.

Is that an extended back plate on the rotary or standard.?

C360_2014-09-03-15-45-51-594.jpg

It is standard. With normal tilling, it swings. In the paddies, I fixed it at the height that it does a pretty good job at levelling. If I had taken the front blade off, she probably wouldn't have gotten stuck. Taking the blade off is a real pain. There are two big pins but I can no longer get them to come out even with a big hammer. Even with the blade off, the lift mechanism is still there and too low.

ADDED - I don't know if they make paddie wheels for the front but if they do, that would help a lot.

Edited by Gary A

we used to have a 47hp kubota... disclaimer i have driven tractors in the uk before....

over the course of 2 ish years i got stuck loads, all in the rice fields... the worst time was when i was trying to help my wifes dad,  he was the spotter and all was well,  then got stuck, about ten hours later with about ten men helping me the tractor was in worse then before, had another tractor come and help this also go stuck, large ford, in the end in the early hours  of the morning the wife got the macro out and he dug-winched us out, he only wanted 5,000 baht for coming out but i gave him 10,000 just because..... never drove the tractor in the paddy again.....

we used to have a guy do all our tractor work many years ago, he had a nice new large hp ford and was a good driver, when i saw him get stuck he used to rap a large chain around the wheel, somehow locking it and out he would pop, in a matter of seconds, this trick never worked for me.

18 hours ago, weegee said:

Gee I am glad to see, that I wasnt the only one to get caught like this....:smile:

At least you had a good tractor make"Yanmar"....Top pieces of machinery.

i Was was originally looking for a Kubota. I had finally made up my mind which Kubota I wanted and then stopped at the Yanmar dealer. I was very impressed with what they call Synchro shift. It is a lever on the steering column. I can go forward or backways by just moving that lever up for forward and down for backwards. No changing gears or gear grinding. The tractor doesn't have a huge amount of hours on it but it has been totally trouble free for about 8 years. It is also very frugal with diesel fuel.

4 hours ago, Gary A said:

i Was was originally looking for a Kubota. I had finally made up my mind which Kubota I wanted and then stopped at the Yanmar dealer. I was very impressed with what they call Synchro shift. It is a lever on the steering column. I can go forward or backways by just moving that lever up for forward and down for backwards. No changing gears or gear grinding. The tractor doesn't have a huge amount of hours on it but it has been totally trouble free for about 8 years. It is also very frugal with diesel fuel.

That Synchro Shift, is the greatest thing since sliced bread...Kubota and anyone else that makes tractors cannot match them on innovations like that....That engine will still be running when you are part of the flower bed....:smile:

Actually heard a story a few years back that all small John Deere Tractors have Yanmar diesels in them...

Edited by weegee

• 3 months later...

Ok guys you may be the people to ask. Using tractor for ploughing ect.
Contract harvester.
Doing the rest yourself as not to pay wages. What type of profit per rai can be made growing rice? Just average figures would be fine thank you.
Looking forward to your answers thank you.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Oh the other thing was. Anybody know of a grain sowing machine that could be attached to a tractor? I maybe showing my ignorance even asking. Just to show im not a total moron ,i have much experience with farming ,tractors ect but on a broard acre farming scale. Whole different ball game.

35 minutes ago, cobbler said:

Oh the other thing was. Anybody know of a grain sowing machine that could be attached to a tractor? I maybe showing my ignorance even asking. Just to show im not a total moron ,i have much experience with farming ,tractors ect but on a broard acre farming scale. Whole different ball game.

There's a good one made by KID engineering here,double disc openers and 15" spacings,only downside is you may have to work land before using as the modules are fixed not spring loaded. 

Will put up a pic when the forum allows(not working atm.)

20170124_112807.thumb.jpg.bfe17ef9a6e6856fc3c22a31f53923af.jpg

Farmerjo thats something ive seen in shops here in thai i think. Are you sure they are for rice? Do you use 1 for cropping rice? Not trying to be rude but just wondering how far appart the rows would be. I actually thought these were for corn . Smack my ignorant head if u like.[emoji16]
Really appreciate your post.
Any idea on price?
Im guessing its a straight sowing machine,used after all the other work is done. Right? Only reason im asking is it looks heavy, so driving it through the mud ,could it bog the tractor? 2nd smack in the head.[emoji16]
Cheers thanks

9 minutes ago, cobbler said:

Farmerjo thats something ive seen in shops here in thai i think. Are you sure they are for rice? Do you use 1 for cropping rice? Not trying to be rude but just wondering how far appart the rows would be. I actually thought these were for corn . Smack my ignorant head if u like.emoji16.png
Really appreciate your post.
Any idea on price?
Im guessing its a straight sowing machine,used after all the other work is done. Right? Only reason im asking is it looks heavy, so driving it through the mud ,could it bog the tractor? 2nd smack in the head.emoji16.png
Cheers thanks

That company was at the Khon Kaen show last year,had machines on display as well as giving away DVD'S of them working sowing rice fields.

Don't let the spacings put you off,years ago cereal crops would be planted at 4"-6" spacings now they do vary out to 12"-15" depending on variety and how well they stool.

Corn rows are generally 30" and some now plant as close as 15" but there's not much advantage with closer spacings with corn yields.

Price will depend on what size machine you require with tractor HP and what bells and trimmings.

You can sow whatever seed you want,it would just be a plate change and if you want more fine tuning you change the sprocket size on the drive wheel.

The machine is set up for seeding into worked land as you see the front roller to level land so seeding depth is consistent.

You could direct drill with that machine although you would have problems with depth control of seed on an uneven field.

The whole idea of the machine is to plant your crop with minimal moisture then flood so getting bogged should not be in the equation.

In an ideal world once your fields  are harvested,one pass of a rotary hoe to incorporate straw then seed then water. 

53 minutes ago, cobbler said:

Farmerjo or anynody who knows. Any idea on profit per rai of rice ? Just average figure or complete cost profit loss sheet would be awsome. Ive got idea but thought u guys would be more knowledgeable.
Cheers thanks

Sorry can't help on that one,its grown here for the family at the moment so it's a complete loss for me.(diesel/fert)

Next year it will be grown for the farm,15 rai as one field so i can give some correct figures then as they come in.. 

3 hours ago, cobbler said:

Farmerjo or anynody who knows. Any idea on profit per rai of rice ? Just average figure or complete cost profit loss sheet would be awsome. Ive got idea but thought u guys would be more knowledgeable.
Cheers thanks

around  us people only do one crop of rice per year, many still in small "locks", the land is not that good....

1 bag would weigh 23/25kg. per rai.... poor land/work 7/10 bag. ok 10/15 bag good 20 bag. this would mainly by the sticky type rice and would be hand planted.