What kind of hobbies can you have in Thailand?

howard ashoul

Although I previously lived in Thailand for 15 years, I now live and work in Naypyidaw, Myanmar.  There's not a great deal of leisure activities available.  I took up cycling as an outdoor activity, and my fitness level has hugely improved.

I'm a technical guy (radio amateur), and to past the time indoors, I build electronic kits, such as radio receivers, transmitters etc.  To avoid component sourcing problems in Myanmar, I order the complete kits online from overseas.  Then I can, at my leisure, construct the electronics item.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in CNX, I did not even consider cycling. Moving 150km, on the third day I was hit head on by a pickup. I am now wheelchair bound for the rest of my life. 

The locals here have a mindset of not thinking or caring.

So that changed my life entirely - no sport.

At age 69, I have no interest in updating my language skills. I  could speak reasonable Thai but here they speak Thai Lanna.

So life can change in a nanosecond. 

7 hours ago, superglue said:

When I lived in CNX, I did not even consider cycling. Moving 150km, on the third day I was hit head on by a pickup. I am now wheelchair bound for the rest of my life. 

The locals here have a mindset of not thinking or caring.

So that changed my life entirely - no sport.

At age 69, I have no interest in updating my language skills. I  could speak reasonable Thai but here they speak Thai Lanna.

So life can change in a nanosecond. 

That was a bad deal and you have my sympathies . How do you pass the time of day ? do you have a wife or partner to help you ?

It is not easy but opportunities arise. The local temple seeks my advice on their retreats.

Music - I  have a huge range of CDs. Listening to them is good medicine for the mind.

Social media - this & another did provide interest but that has waned.

I spend more time communicating with my wife. Although we have been together 14 years (there is a huge age gap), I never cease to learn.

Computer games - zero by choice.

Where I live there are very very expats. I knew 4 but all have relocated.

If other members have ideas, please reply.

• 10 months later...
On 7/18/2017 at 6:49 AM, tso310 said:

Over the years there have been a few threads about r/c aircraft.

There is or was a  farang guy who teamed up with Thais to make some incredibly large and realistic R/C flying models of jet military aircraft.  Absolutely stunning - world class.

I'd like to futz around with some of the little long-tail racing boats, or even plodders.  Need to be near a lake or klong or ocean for that.

When I get back over, I may take up blacksmithing.  I understand that recent changes in foreign employment rules might make knifemaking a legal trade.

The whole concept of 'having a hobby' has always escaped me. 

Of course if you don't have a garden or a house to look after, or are too lazy to do the work yourself then maybe you do need to occupy your mind.

How about visiting Farang prisoners? Or helping out at an orphanage? Learning Thai? I don't consider any of those to be 'hobbies'.

Sorry, I didn't take the time to read the previous 6 pages, I have to go cut grass for the cows soon.

On 7/27/2017 at 11:40 AM, superglue said:

It is not easy but opportunities arise. The local temple seeks my advice on their retreats.

Music - I  have a huge range of CDs. Listening to them is good medicine for the mind.

Social media - this & another did provide interest but that has waned.

I spend more time communicating with my wife. Although we have been together 14 years (there is a huge age gap), I never cease to learn.

Computer games - zero by choice.

Where I live there are very very expats. I knew 4 but all have relocated.

If other members have ideas, please reply.

What are your physical limitations ? 

• 1 month later...

i add my day full, elektronic hobby projects, arduino elektronic board and code this,buy chinese cheap shop at internet all elektric sensors and parts ,components, 3D printer have eweryday lot work, need made parts many place at home, hobby tools, home parts, many, all my home door and warddropes handles i made at home, many kitchen parts,bathroom lot parts, etc. and save money this too lot made all in home DIY. before i climping mountain, now no can,too old and footh no good, gears have again but not used some year,

bikers, drive around thailand many many time at big motorbike, but now not can, now have bike i sell it, diving but no longtime can, i live whit wife at north thailand,

but anyway, elektronic,mechanic work,welding,building somethink,code,3Dprinter,build new printer, build big CNC machine, build vinyl sticker cutter, if someday have money build laser cutting machine too. new hobby have airsoft gun and shooting to target, made and build different targets, funny,

before try learn thai many year but 2-5 year try and not newer can understand i end this, waste only time,

same than sitting in bar ewery day and drink lot beer have most stupid waste time what have.

i has made, egg incupator my wife, mushroom room controller light,temp,moisture, plantage controller, PH,EC,moisture,temp,watering,pump controller,fertilice automat controller too,welding all cupboards,warddropes,roof,toolls, bending machine,worktables,selfs,bed frame,lathe,drill press,arbor press,etc,etc, dream have build someday real good motorbike american chopper, style OCC bikes. 

And new hobby have airsoft, and learn now leather stitching and carwing work, woodworking if can buy all tools first ready. time go lot too internet learn new thinks and buy tools and parts were found.

glassfiber epoxy need,aluminium sheet 10mm thin need but no has found anywere.

gun holster kydex need, leather need, vape parts need sometime , taste liguids, acryl and other plastic sheet no have anywere, many project but only 90% ready because not found some material anywere. here have time and area made what want and like, proplem have lot were found material and money more can build more, haha. 5555.

Thanks for the fun and interesting post.  You sound like someone who could teach all the bitchers and moaners on Thai Visa how to get more out of their lives.  

On the parts and materials you need is money an issue?  I'm sure you could find most everything you need in the U.S. if you can afford the shipping.  I've found a great many things at Amazon, have you shopped there?

Yes good to hear stories about people trying to do interesting stuff and be busy all day , instead of the observations I make here in Pattaya , expats sitting on the bar stool all day and night. Drinking booze and playing with girls is a hobby too I guess, but is a very expensive hobby . 

On 8/16/2018 at 1:33 PM, finnishmen said:

i add my day full, elektronic hobby projects, arduino elektronic board and code this,buy chinese cheap shop at internet all elektric sensors and parts ,components, 3D printer have eweryday lot work, need made parts many place at home, hobby tools, home parts, many, all my home door and warddropes handles i made at home, many kitchen parts,bathroom lot parts, etc. and save money this too lot made all in home DIY. before i climping mountain, now no can,too old and footh no good, gears have again but not used some year,

bikers, drive around thailand many many time at big motorbike, but now not can, now have bike i sell it, diving but no longtime can, i live whit wife at north thailand,

but anyway, elektronic,mechanic work,welding,building somethink,code,3Dprinter,build new printer, build big CNC machine, build vinyl sticker cutter, if someday have money build laser cutting machine too. new hobby have airsoft gun and shooting to target, made and build different targets, funny,

before try learn thai many year but 2-5 year try and not newer can understand i end this, waste only time,

same than sitting in bar ewery day and drink lot beer have most stupid waste time what have.

i has made, egg incupator my wife, mushroom room controller light,temp,moisture, plantage controller, PH,EC,moisture,temp,watering,pump controller,fertilice automat controller too,welding all cupboards,warddropes,roof,toolls, bending machine,worktables,selfs,bed frame,lathe,drill press,arbor press,etc,etc, dream have build someday real good motorbike american chopper, style OCC bikes. 

And new hobby have airsoft, and learn now leather stitching and carwing work, woodworking if can buy all tools first ready. time go lot too internet learn new thinks and buy tools and parts were found.

glassfiber epoxy need,aluminium sheet 10mm thin need but no has found anywere.

gun holster kydex need, leather need, vape parts need sometime , taste liguids, acryl and other plastic sheet no have anywere, many project but only 90% ready because not found some material anywere. here have time and area made what want and like, proplem have lot were found material and money more can build more, haha. 5555.

You are so busy and sound happy but how did you find the time to write your post ? ?  . Stay happy and good luck

On 8/18/2018 at 4:59 AM, superal said:

You are so busy and sound happy but how did you find the time to write your post ? ?  . Stay happy and good luck

555 have sometime time lot because wait parts what has orden or try found parts somewere shop and only weekend have time go to city shopping, and sometime need relax too not alltime can working onl'y. take time whit wife, build somethink new to wife or house, relax go travell trip hotell and swimmi9ng etc. or only stay bed and keep lazy day read book asnd looking net. 555 have many what can do, NO newer idiot and sitting in bar all day and night and drink beer. idiots work sitting bar alltime.

I take part in a business game based on running an airline. Nice and complicated, and very cheap. Doesn't need a fast connection internet connection. Many German, Brits, Americans and many others take part. Made quite a few 'virtual friends' over the years from many countries.

I knew a guy who had a model railway. Built his own miniture Thai houses. The only problem he had was keeping the track from rusting. Plenty of outlets in Bangkok but as they are imports from Japan and Europe a bit expensive.

R/C aircraft does seem to be popular in Isaan. 

• 2 months later...

I bought a cheap electric guitar so I've been learning that and murdering blues-rock songs. 

Started an internet business which kills an hour every day.

Put together a small gym at home and bought a mountain bike.

Learning basic mechanics so I can work on my car. I'm slowly fixing up and modifying an old chevy pickup. 

For me it's woodwork, as maybe apparent from my username, though now I'm retired I should probably change it to fulltimewoodworker.????

My current project is making a bed for the mattress we bought that was too big for our old Thai bed. The frame and base have just had the first coat of polly (this is before). Later there will be draws that go under and a storage headboard but the bed needs to be usable quite soon so the other parts can come later.

IMG_5621.thumb.JPG.61645e4a350da918d06cfc3a5e19e2a3.JPG

Archived