Cost of living in BKK... USD 640 a month!

visaTerebi

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I love "existing". Makes me feel more alive than drowning my sorrows at nana barstool.

Also, this month I tried really hard and only spent 15k baht. Then again, my wife provides me with free housing and utilities.

I love spending my forties in Bangkok instead of slaving away in Canada while someone is paying off my mortgage back home. Heck, next month I could push it and spend only 10k baht.

Haters gonna hate, but I have it great!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

To each their own, better You than me.  I am one of those

who worked 40+years at a job I really enjoyed, now I enjoy

traveling, getting home twice a year, my pool at the condo

is beautiful, the A/C runs when it's hot, and yes, there are

some restaurants in BKK The are as good as any in Paris

or NYC....this is what Retirement should be all about!!

Edited by little mary sunshine

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, visaTerebi said:

How much you paying for that house and where is it?

I'm asking because thinking about the future and kids etc, you say 50,000b which is about ~USD1500, not that much.

Also does that include education for kids?

Yes, Unfortunately i am not that rich - have a bit of savings, and just started my state pension, so i expect a modest rise in expenditure over the next few years.

The house is my wife's, an old house which over the past 7 years has been upgraded at a capital cost of about 750,000 baht. It still has a mortgage on it of about 3000 baht a month. Live in Udon Thani. New houses start at about 3 million, or rent from 5,000 up (modern western style more like double that), Our house is big, but originally thai style (timber frame, block walls downstairs and wooden planks upstairs, with tin roof. Now over 50% upgraded). Do not like big cities, like nature.

My daughter goes to a state aided but privately run school, fees about 30-35,000 baht a year, Quite good, and about half of lessons seem to be in English, by the homework.

Other costs include usual utilities, car loan and Motorcycle finance. Don't smoke and drink little. Still have to watch the pennies on that budget, but can buy a few extras from time to time and have the savings for capital projects (house improvements, land work). Usually one trip to home country a year (just me).

To each their own, better You than me.  I am one of those

who worked 40+years at a job I really enjoyed, now I enjoy

traveling, getting home twice a year, my pool at the condo

is beautiful, the A/C runs when it's hot, and yes, there are

some restaurants in BKK The are as good as any in Paris

or NYC....this is what Retirement should be all about!!

Nonsense. No one enjoys their job, otherwise you wouldn't be looking forward to retirement.

I have a nice condo in Toronto and someone is paying off my loan. I didn't know ac was a luxury in Thailand.... certainly even my loso wife can afford it 24/7 and is not charging me a single baht for it.

Just because someone spent 15k last month doesn't mean they live poor or stupid. My wife's family has amassed so much wealth through generations and they still don't pretend to be hiso.

Your Nice pool and condo would not impress many very many Thais who see no value in owning a closet in the sky. You would probably impress me because just like you I'm a short sighted foreigner....so like you said to each their own.

7 hours ago, visaTerebi said:

There are no ads on blog and no links on the post to make you buy anything. I just keep it around to keep notes on things for later. 

But so far yeah this thread has been really valuable on ideas and also how much other people spend on living. For that I'm happy.

The main problem with your costing is that it's hypothetical, not an amount you've actually experienced living on. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who was trying to live here on $640 a month being willing to squander 70-80% of their budget on rent. All the more so in the area you're staying where there's plenty of modern comfortable studios for half of what you're paying (often with water machines available on site too).  

Only those smart enough to earn that  amount of money
and enjoy the finer restaurants and shopping
live in that area.

The dumb a**es are in a dumpy  room with a fan and B40
street food every day.

So all the people living in my apartment are Dumb a**es according to your definition.
That includes foreigners, policeman, nurses, office workers, etc...
You seem to have a very limited horizon my dear.
Probably these are people that like to spend their money for other things than just their housing or expensive food.
I just consider my apartment for a place to sleep and sometimes working.
I rather spend my money for travelling or any other hobbies.

People who have a life and enjoy the buzz of a big vibrant city.

The wealthy stay in fancy condos and eat in fancy restaurants.

Waking up in some slum on the outskirts of chiang rai with roosters and yapping dogs? Who but the desperately poor....

So you define everything that has roosters and dogs as a slum...

Nonsense. No one enjoys their job, otherwise you wouldn't be looking forward to retirement.

I have a nice condo in Toronto and someone is paying off my loan. I didn't know ac was a luxury in Thailand.... certainly even my loso wife can afford it 24/7 and is not charging me a single baht for it.

Just because someone spent 15k last month doesn't mean they live poor or stupid. My wife's family has amassed so much wealth through generations and they still don't pretend to be hiso.

Your Nice pool and condo would not impress many very many Thais who see no value in owning a closet in the sky. You would probably impress me because just like you I'm a short sighted foreigner....so like you said to each their own.

You learn saving money from the rich, that's why they have become rich (at least in the first generation, then it's self running under good management and if you have no big- spending dumb*** in your family)

11 hours ago, anto said:

>>Also does that include education for kids?<<

Education for Children to a Western standard  can cost up to B100,000 a year per child .I have one step child with my Thai wife .It was costing us a basic B20,000 a year plus other costs  at a half decent Thai school in Chiang mai ,with English classes by a Western teacher.She has since won a Kings scholarship to a better Thai school , and our costs have reduced to a basic B10,000 a year .Plus extra costs for uniform and books .

My wife works has her own business which helps out .She has always worked since we met 8 years ago ,

100,000 THB per year is nothing.

4 hours ago, CLW said:

You learn saving money from the rich, that's why they have become rich (at least in the first generation, then it's self running under good management and if you have no big- spending dumb*** in your family)

I worked in the medical field for 40+ years.  I can say I am happy

to be retired, but I miss my work and would return tomorrow if

i could do it part time.  To old to work full time.

4 hours ago, CLW said:

So all the people living in my apartment are Dumb a**es according to your definition.
That includes foreigners, policeman, nurses, office workers, etc...
You seem to have a very limited horizon my dear.
Probably these are people that like to spend their money for other things than just their housing or expensive food.
I just consider my apartment for a place to sleep and sometimes working.
I rather spend my money for travelling or any other hobbies.

I have always had a beautiful home to come home to

and relax.  Of course, along with the ability to enjoy a

luxury Condo comes playing golf, theatre, travel several

times a year and dinners at nice restaurants with friends.

of course I worked 50-60 hours each week during my

working days to afford this type of a retirement.

5 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Read the post...I never said A/C was a luxury any more than heat 

In the Winter in Totonto would be a luxury....It's a necessity in

BKK.  I could care less if anyone is impresses by my standard of

living,,, my pool, tennis court, car and lifestyle are for me! 

To bad you never worked in a profession you enjoyed, I actually

looked forward to going to work...95%... of the time ( nothing

is perfect)

Read the post...I never said A/C was a luxury any more than heat 
In the Winter in Totonto would be a luxury....It's a necessity in
BKK.  I could care less if anyone is impresses by my standard of
To bad you never worked in a profession you enjoyed, I actually
looked forward to going to work...95%... of the time ( nothing
is perfect)

But I do enjoy working in my profession....which is doing nothing in Thailand.

58 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

But I do enjoy working in my profession....which is doing nothing in Thailand.

Sad,  I enjoy golf, cards, learning to play Bridge, we bowl twice a month,

volunteer work at church, latest adventure is ice skating....life is to

precious to do nothing

1 hour ago, little mary sunshine said:

Sad,  I enjoy golf, cards, learning to play Bridge, we bowl twice a month,

volunteer work at church, latest adventure is ice skating....life is to

precious to do nothing

Ye ,but do you ever let your hair down and shake that booty ?

I could care less if anyone is impresses by my standard of

Exactly. So, why crap on posters who enjoy living cheaply in Thailand? I am sure someone living in a New York penthouse would find your living in Thailand pathetic and just surviving. It's a third world after all.

I have always had a beautiful home to come home to
and relax.  Of course, along with the ability to enjoy a
luxury Condo comes playing golf, theatre, travel several
times a year and dinners at nice restaurants with friends.
of course I worked 50-60 hours each week during my
working days to afford this type of a retirement.

Beautiful home, luxury and enjoying life doesn't​necessarily need to cost a fortune.
Give me some simple small hut in a serene place and I'm happy

I am sure someone living in a New York penthouse would find your living in Thailand pathetic and just surviving. It's a third world after all.

And I don't​ want to congregate with people like you describe.
That's why I stay away from the farang ghettos

On 7/3/2017 at 1:26 AM, WinterGael said:

My wife has a mortgage ... 10.000 baht. We can eat for 3.000 baht/month. Utilities come in at 2.500 baht (including air). Miscellaneous needs another 3.000 baht.

Before I met her, and learned she actually owned her place, I was looking at a nice condo in Don Meuang for 5.500 baht.

I think we do pretty well. The water purifier I installed is an awesome savings. Now we are looking at a car.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3000 baht food budget would last me about 2 days.  I'm a fat guy as you can imagine.

2 hours ago, CLW said:

And I don't want to congregate with people like you describe.
That's why I stay away from the farang ghettos

You sound like you have a serious inferiority complex.

Why would you give a damn what people think - especially other farangs? Are you afraid of people seeing right through you?

On 7/1/2017 at 9:23 AM, MaksimMislavsky said:

Very strange. It shouldn't be more than 3000, most likely 2000 would be enough.

She looked at those kinds of rooms. No A/C and no elevator, having to walk 5 flights of stairs. She has a security guard in the lobby where she's at, too. If you know a place like that for 3000 please let me know and I'll tell her about it.

On 7/1/2017 at 10:14 AM, seancbk said:

Where is she living that she pays that much for so little?

My condo is 8000 THB a month, has a great kitchen, of course has hot water, great pool, gym, laundry, hair salon.  2 minute walk to the BTS.  

The only caveat is I've lived here for 6 years and maybe rents are higher now without me realising it, although my rent has never changed.

Sounds like a good deal you got there. I don't think she looks around enough and ends up paying too much or maybe prices have gone up. She did find cheaper but no A/C and no elevator. Definitely none of the things you have there. If she was going to be there longer I'd ask where you're at and let her know. But we got our K1 visa approved so she'll be coming here to the US soon. Thanks for the comment.

6 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:
On 7/1/2017 at 9:14 PM, seancbk said:

Where is she living that she pays that much for so little?

My condo is 8000 THB a month, has a great kitchen, of course has hot water, great pool, gym, laundry, hair salon.  2 minute walk to the BTS.  

The only caveat is I've lived here for 6 years and maybe rents are higher now without me realising it, although my rent has never changed.

Sounds like a good deal you got there. I don't think she looks around enough and ends up paying too much or maybe prices have gone up. She did find cheaper but no A/C and no elevator. Definitely none of the things you have there. If she was going to be there longer I'd ask where you're at and let her know. But we got our K1 visa approved so she'll be coming here to the US soon. Thanks for the comment.

That's great that she has her visa.  Wish you both the very best.