It's not enough to hold your child in a car - why Thais are being told to use car seats.

rooster59

"A child car seat .. .you gotta be joking    my mum and dad take all 3 of us kids on a motorbike. Not need special seat 55555555"

"Also Dad's friend has a hilux and his 4 kids and us 3 sit in the back, no seat just sit on the rim of the ute."

"And hang of for dear life, but <deleted> we feel the fresh air, better than those sissy falung kids sitting in their special hiso seats"

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Oh dear, taking measures to keep your children alive is "nanny state"

My, but you do set the bar low. 

just trying to make a point my friend. 

Thailand is where we were  30-40 years ago in its development, It is still a low wage economy, In a low wage environment people have to make decisions . 

Some times you have to " Rob Peter to pay Paul"  especially  when Peter is a big guy and gets mad, and Paul is a little guy, much easier ti fight.:tongue:

I am not saying that child seats are not necessary, they are one of the many necessary  things many people in Thailand  cant afford.

Rome was not build in a day, and neither will be Thailand.

They are moving at the right direction at a sustainable rate IMO

Plenty of car seats conforming to international standards around 5-6000 baht. But even Benz and BMW drivers somehow cannot afford them.

As for kids not liking them, start them early, put up with struggles for two days or so, eventually they remind you to strap them in.

Compulsion and enforcement will make sure they are used. 

And about time carrying unhelmeted and unrestrained children on motor bikes was banned. In the UK sidecars for motorbikes were used, they are popular and cheap here as well, why don't people use them if they have kids?

It's amazing what parts of Western cultural and mores those who control the strings of power wish to embrace, and those they wish didn't exist.  

ISO compliant car seats for all Thai children!  "We like that, let's make it a law!"   :smile:
2-nd Tier of Human Trafficking Watch: "Don't like that, make it go away!"  :shock1:
Huge fines and jail terms for employers and employees w/o WP: "We made that law!!!"  :smile:
South Korea deports Thai illegal Thai workers: "Why they do that?  It unfair!!!"   :shock1:

Edited by connda

It seems that until the Thai authorities have an way of making quality car seats affordable to anyone except wealthy people, the expert's suggestions are a non-starter in Thailand.

Agree. There is surely a way of doing this properly. Given they are imported and the rapacious nature of customs there are probably considerable import taxes that could be waived to make them more affordable.

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why would you expect Thailand to be at the same stage of development as Canada?

He's not expecting them to be at the same stage . 37 years later and still not caught on with everyone else is not the same stage . 

29 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Thailand is where we were  30-40 years ago in its development, It is still a low wage economy, In a low wage environment people have to make decisions . 

Some times you have to " Rob Peter to pay Paul"  especially  when Peter is a big guy and gets mad, and Paul is a little guy, much easier ti fight.:tongue:

I am not saying that child seats are not necessary, they are one of the many necessary  things many people in Thailand  cant afford.

That may well be true. I do see that. 

However,  the cost to any child not in a child's seat when an accident occurs can be fatal. 

The seats may be expensive, but should be compulsory if you drive with a child in a car. 

11 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Every day i see a few dozen familys on motorbikes and a few dozen moms with infants in bamboo seats in front of them.

Why even bother with a article like this. 

This is just another article that shows how far thailand is behind in road safety.

I am guessing about 30 years from now thais will have similar road safety as to western worlds today.

But in 30 years the west will have high speed guided transport and thailand will have baby car seats and law enforcement .

A ratger optimistic assumption. Child car seats maybe, as to law enforcement???????

I love all this baby sir will save your life etc. but, when I was born in1957, there was no seat belts or baby seats. The baby wrap up snug in there cocoon wrapping probably has a better chance of survival than in the seat! plus just in case the new mum drops the baby! Oh! I am still here and kicking. Sure some people have accidents, and some people die. But today in my town nobody crashed, nobody died and certainly no babies died from motor accidents. Sure a few motorbike idiots when down, banged up a bit, but no deaths.and no young children on the bikes that went down because most had a caring parent driving carefully.

The picture in the article shows a carseat installed rear facing. But if you see the side of the carseat it shows it is forward facing mode carseat. 

I thought it looked strange and just zoomed in. 

We ise fwd facing for little one and it is appropriate for one his age and size. The article says it is important to put in correctly. Maybe it is an example what not to do. 

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

However,  the cost to any child not in a child's seat when an accident occurs can be fatal. 

The seats may be expensive, but should be compulsory if you drive with a child in a car. 

A car seat is much cheaper than an iPhone but everyone still seems to be able to afford one

I think it's a matter of better education and less Mai pen rai bullshit excuses

A bit of real enforcement from the police would have a positive effect and I'm not taking about fines they just put in their pockets to turn a blind eye

I love all this baby sir will save your life etc. but, when I was born in1957, there was no seat belts or baby seats. The baby wrap up snug in there cocoon wrapping probably has a better chance of survival than in the seat! plus just in case the new mum drops the baby! Oh! I am still here and kicking. Sure some people have accidents, and some people die. But today in my town nobody crashed, nobody died and certainly no babies died from motor accidents. Sure a few motorbike idiots when down, banged up a bit, but no deaths.and no young children on the bikes that went down because most had a caring parent driving carefully.

I think the statistics on road deaths since the introduction of seat belts and child seats prove you horribly wrong. Holy moly some people spout some rubbish on here.

OB

You can find cheap car seats in everybigC supercenter, I used one since 5 years now.. same as the one we have in EU.

For the smaller one, I had to go to central and buy something decent.. let's say 20 or 30% more expensive than in EU... I have never crossed any single Thai Family using one yet, but it's normal.. why protect your child life when you have totally NO CLUE how to protect yourself first... driving in thailand is always gambling !! Too many stupidity all around and it will never change.. or it will takes 100 years minimum, because Maï Pen Raï is too strong for the mind !

It has nothing to do with money.. like I said you can find cheap one.. when you are drving a brand new Honda, Toyota, Suzuki.. or even a deluxe one like benz etc... or even a second hand one... that doesn't matter you can find a car seat for what you spend on the petrol station each time you go there.

Edited by Zendo

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

People do the best they can with what they have, Thais are no different.

...yes, no different.....buy a Car THB 600'000....have no Money for Childseat THB 15'000. Instead let the child sit on the knees of the codriver for safety   :coffee1:

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

like you , I have being involved with Thailand for a a long time , and I am sure we can both agree that in that time we have seen   tremendous  improvement.

Road quality, traffic enforcement cameras, seat belt requirements, people traveling in the back of pickup trucks, etc

I am sure baby seats are coming, also , 

All in good time, just as soon as the powers to be. acquire a controlling stake in the baby seat industry.:tongue:

Just now, ujayujay said:

...yes, no different.....buy a Car THB 600'000....have no Money for Childseat THB 15'000. Instead let the child sit on the knees of the codriver for safety   :coffee1:

Buy a car that cost 1.400.000 THB And can't afford a 1200 thb car seat...

Yes I can't accept this stupidity and selfishness.... Thai Roads are an "idots museum".. but they are still alive !

Just now, ujayujay said:

I bought a car seat in Central, it was 9k for a good one from some famous  brand, cant remember but there are 2nd hand ones for sale all the time on Craigslist and Facebook for 500-2500

49 minutes ago, sirineou said:

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

"However,  the cost to any child not in a child's seat when an accident occurs can be fatal. "

Lordy, lordy, how did any of my generation raised 60+ years ago make it to adulthood.  Yet, here we are.  

The experts agreed that Thailand should follow the example of the west in the use and implementation of car seats.

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard as a recommendation to the This populous.  I think it would be far more prudent to start with the millions of people who ride on motorcycles

hold their children in their arms, or just let them stand somewhere on the bike, while neither the parents, or the child (children) are wearing any type of protection period.

And now they want to try to implement baby seats. How many models are available for a Honda Dream, or other small motorcycle?

Where would they be mounted? Replace the front basket with a baby seat? 

Thailand is still a Third World country, and will remain so for another few decades, at least, if due to nothing else, than just the education system alone.  Rote learning & rampant cheating at all levels, buying of positions, rather

than earning them based on merit, does not stimulate practical thought or common sense. Until that issue has been addressed, then this country is not going to magically turn into Singapore.

It's no wonder that anyone that can afford to, will send their children to be educated abroad.

So let's stop thinking about car seats for babies, and start tackling real issues.

2 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

600,000 baht cat in rural Thailand

Image result for etan thailand

11 hours ago, akampa said:

Rather being told to use car seats for children make it mandatory . 

The most expensive car seat I saw on Amazon USA  was 12,000baht  the most expensive on Lazarda was 43,000 but the cheapest on Lazarda was 2200 Baht so no excuse not to buy.

That's funny! Make them mandatory and that's going to make them use them?  Hahaha helmets are mandatory too but they hardly get used or Policed.

1 minute ago, speedtripler said:

I bought a car seat in Central, it was 9k for a good one from some famous  brand, cant remember but there are 2nd hand ones for sale all the time on Craigslist and Facebook for 500-2500

Most car purchases are on a bank note that is offered to people who less than 20 years ago would not have qualified.  Thais making 9K a month take out loans that cost them 5K a month to service.  My daughter in law is the perfect example.  There is no way she should have qualified for a car loan.  The next year, she didn't have the money to pay for the insurance.  So how are these young people ever going to afford a 9K car seat (one month's salary) if they can't afford to pay the 7k annual car insurance?   
Banks are predatory; governments are self-serving if not corrupt.  The average aspiring middle class citizen is sandwiched in-between.  

29 minutes ago, connda said:

"However,  the cost to any child not in a child's seat when an accident occurs can be fatal. "

Lordy, lordy, how did any of my generation raised 60+ years ago make it to adulthood.  Yet, here we are.  

Lordy, lordy, how many more children will need to die to convince society child safety seats must be used when a child is in a car...

Edited by Bluespunk

9 minutes ago, connda said:

Most car purchases are on a bank note that is offered to people who less than 20 years ago would not have qualified.  Thais making 9K a month take out loans that cost them 5K a month to service.  My daughter in law is the perfect example.  There is no way she should have qualified for a car loan.  The next year, she didn't have the money to pay for the insurance.  So how are these young people ever going to afford a 9K car seat (one month's salary) if they can't afford to pay the 7k annual car insurance?   
Banks are predatory; governments are self-serving if not corrupt.  The average aspiring middle class citizen is sandwiched in-between.  

You conveniently ignored the part of the post where I stated you can buy them 2nd hand for 500thb  upwards on Craigslist or Facebook etc if people bothered to look...  Even brand new ones for 1.6k

https://www.kaidee.com/product-122943096

26 minutes ago, Oceanbat said:

I think the statistics on road deaths since the introduction of seat belts and child seats prove you horribly wrong. Holy moly some people spout some rubbish on here.

OB

Rubbish indeed. More child deaths here than pretty much anywhere in the world from kids being launched through windshields and crushed on the ground from motor bike crashes. That's not really the point here. I live here, I have a Thai wife and a Thai born son. We have a child seat on both cars and when we travel we make sure the Hotel that picks us up has a child seat in the car. We are lucky for two reasons. 1. we can afford it and 2. we actually love our son and we would be devastated if something happened to him that could have been prevented by us. Not everyone is born equal and not everyone loves their kids the same. They are FACTS.  Most people don't think it will ever happen to them.  Self worth, the value you place on your children is something very visible. Look around, you can see people who don't give a f..k here everywhere. They don't care about themselves they surely don't give a shit about you. Making car seats mandatory is like the 'Helmet Law' it's there but no one cares or even Polices it.  You are on your own here that's is for sure!  ;-)  Happy traveling!

Guest Jerry787

just purchased one at siam paragon, good brands that sound safer are around 15,000thb, of course several local can't afford them.

Dorothy just cant accept she is not in Kansas any more.

When my sister's in law job moved further away, she had to give it up because she could hardly afford the gas to get there in what they paid her. and she had a good office job in a beverage distribution company.

Safety precautions are great, but one has to put a roof over ones head, food in their belly , buy medicine for their sick Mom first. etc

Many Farangs just can appreciate that millions of Thais live in less than a Farang beer budget.