It's not enough to hold your child in a car - why Thais are being told to use car seats.

rooster59

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall buying an expensive car seat for my ignorant shit of a son when he knocked out another spawn of the devil. It did not even get fitted in the car and was thrown away in a pile of junk outside the house. Kid sits on centre armrest watching videos or tv on the tv screen in the middle of the dash whilst elder spawn stands between daddy's legs driving. 

Daddy does not wear seatbelt because he has a poorly stomach

I wish them well

i may be a bit harsh but I told him, and his daft wife that when he smashes into something don't ask me for even a rag to clean the windscreen.

"my momma always said, stupid is as stupid does" 

3 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Thai Logic contiues onto another generation.I have even seen weeks after facial injuries from bike accident,no helmet again.Just going round the corner was the reply.I hate to admit it,but you can't fix stupid.

Going round the bend, more like!

26 minutes ago, todlad said:

Tell that to the families and friends of the 27,000++ dead road users every year and the countless injured ones.

That was Bluespunk's point.He was using irony in response to the usual 133 years of rally driving in Thailand without a scratch malarkey.

31 minutes ago, todlad said:

Tell that to the families and friends of the 27,000++ dead road users every year and the countless injured ones.

That was my point. 

The poster who who took a view that differed from yours and mine was the one I quoted. 

Perhaps you could direct your well made point towards that poster, rather than me. 

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

That was Bluespunk's point.He was using irony in response to the usual 133 years of rally driving in Thailand without a scratch malarkey.

I apologise ... i did not read what went before!

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That was my point. 

The poster who who took a view that differed from yours and mine was the one I quoted. 

Perhaps you could direct your well made point towards that poster, rather than me. 

Many apologies for my laziness in not reading behind your comment.

3 minutes ago, todlad said:

I apologise ... i did not read what went before!

It's cool.The other gigantic piece of malarkey that they trot out is that 26,5000 of those deaths are caused by drunken "farangs" (whoever they may be) in Pattaya and Phuket.

Anything to explain away the mayhem.

Best of luck with the child seats tho'.There aren't any going to be installed around here where I live.Not in my lifetime.Too inconvenient.

On 7/1/2017 at 4:40 AM, rooster59 said:

many Thais are ignorant or misinformed

Indeed this is a universal truth!

I've had to fight with my wife for ages and show her countless gruesome videos of kids who died in road accidents and would have probably survived if they were secured in a car seat. That wasn't enough, though...

After the third visit to Europe, she started to recognize that every child there was on a car seat.

After a "hi-so" friend in our village bought a car seat for her child, she finally decided that perhaps it wasn't a bad idea doing the same...

To be clear: I bought the car seat on day one. The problem for me was convincing my wife to keep the child in the seat while I was driving...

To be clear: I bought the car seat on day one. The problem for me was convincing my wife to keep the child in the seat while I was driving...

Possible other (quicker) solution:
As soon as the buckle of the seat is released you pull over and wont drive another meter till the kid is secured again.

Even my dog understands it when i teach her things this way, so i guess your wife will be able also.

2 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

As soon as the buckle of the seat is released you pull over and wont drive another meter till the kid is secured again.

Even my dog understands it when i teach her things this way, so i guess your wife will be able also.

Just try driving from Bangkok to Krabi pulling over every couple of kilometers...

Anyhow, I eventually won my battle and now in my car there are two car seats. The kids are seated on them with their belts fastened all the time. If they release the belt they each get a slap on the face in less than a millisecond... Problem solved!

4 hours ago, Italian guy said:

Indeed this is a universal truth!

I've had to fight with my wife for ages and show her countless gruesome videos of kids who died in road accidents and would have probably survived if they were secured in a car seat. That wasn't enough, though...

After the third visit to Europe, she started to recognize that every child there was on a car seat.

After a "hi-so" friend in our village bought a car seat for her child, she finally decided that perhaps it wasn't a bad idea doing the same...

So sad to live with this kind of people. I gave up long time ago trying to explain them anything.

21 hours ago, davidst01 said:

maybe your the one with retarded and simplistic thoughts. You are comparing Canada (Western country) with Thailand (developing country)... next time think before you type

Why the play on word upsets you is beyond me.

But hey, thanks for (deleted)

I fail to see how Thailand is a developing country.  It has been around way longer than America and most Western countries. It had its chance to catch up with the times more than you seem to think. Maybe you are a developing person...?

Edited by LazySlipper

On 01/07/2017 at 7:48 PM, Bluespunk said:

Oh dear, taking measures to keep your children alive is "nanny state"

My, but you do set the bar low. 

I think the point was that there is a very high cost in nanny states to having and raising children hence the lower birth rate.  No doubt better income and better education would see Thais adopt more of our western safety standards. But when a lot struggle to put food on the table and a car is a necessity to get to work/earn an income at least its safer than five up on a motor bike.

Just now, AboutThaim said:

I think the point was that there is a very high cost in nanny states to having and raising children hence the lower birth rate.  No doubt better income and better education would see Thais adopt more of our western safety standards. But when a lot struggle to put food on the table and a car is a necessity to get to work/earn an income at least its safer than five up on a motor bike.

If you can afford a car, you can afford a child's safety seat. 

15 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

That's exactly my technique. Only had to use it a couple of times for the message to sink in.

Why the play on word upsets you is beyond me.

But hey, thanks for (deleted)

I fail to see how Thailand is a developing country.  It has been around way longer than America and most Western countries. It had its chance to catch up with the times more than you seem to think. Maybe you are a developing person...?

A developing country is one that is not fully developed economically. Canada is developed. Thailand isn't. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

If it was my child in my car, a child safety seat would be an absolute priority. 

Don't get me wrong I'm all for child safety seats/seatbelts and retro fitted seat belts to one of my early cars.  In my case the 5 year old I carry in the car is my gf`s sister-in-law`s kid.  My gf takes care of him, her brother died a couple of years ago. We live out in the sticks, s-i-l works near Bangkok.  At first the kid would travel on gf`s lap which I didn't like.  After a while I got him to travel in the back seat then insisted on the seat belt.  My gf now insists on him wearing the seat belt at all times.  Only once has he spat the dummy and refused to put it on because we refused to buy him a toy car.  I refused to drive until he put it on.  Ended up whacking him once on the leg, he put it on immediately.  Guess I'm too old to be dictated to by a 5 year old.  Not my kid so don't see why I should buy a seat but I'm still concerned about safety.

I also see why some cannot afford to buy child safety seats when it costs around 30,000 baht to produce and harvest a rice crop which they hardly recover the cost of due to the price offered over the past couple of years.  Some just sell the minimum to pay the bank and keep the rest so at least they have something to eat.

To many posts to read them all, so this may have been mentioned. You need to take this in easy stages, remember back in the 1970's we didn't have baby and child car seats in the west, and i agree ridiculously expensive here in Thailand. So, a halfway step, how about booster seats? would suit kids from 5 up, and as they are quite simple, could be made at a fraction of the cost. If say 500 baht, most families could afford them .

On 01.07.2017 at 11:23 AM, Bob12345 said:

Neither has Google, as it yields zero results.

Care to explain?

My Mercedes W212 E300, for example, and it's not alone at all. Child seat detection system disables passenger airbags when the seat is mounted. 

25 minutes ago, commie said:

My Mercedes W212 E300, for example, and it's not alone at all. Child seat detection system disables passenger airbags when the seat is mounted. 

Maybe your car is not alone, it is an exception in Thailand and therefore no need to mentioned it in an article aimed to educate the general public.

And still, putting a child seat in the front is still not recommended (less safe and possible distraction to the driver).

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A developing country is one that is not fully developed economically. Canada is developed. Thailand isn't. Hope this helps.

Easy to say that... now seeing how you seem to want to win your point please explain just how Thailand is not fully developed economically?

Easy to say that... now seeing how you seem to want to win your point please explain just how Thailand is not fully developed economically?

Not that it's on topic so you might want to start a separate thread so others can contribute, Google "full economic development" and you'll see.