O-A Visa from London - Postal applications

10 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Sorry but the information is all there on the Embassies web site.

As far as I am aware SE non "O" visas are not issued for your purpose either by the Embassy or the Hon Consulates. 

If you believe they will issue you with the visa you want then apply. 

Same information as before but with the 60-65 age group with a pension included.

That's been the theme on this forum for a while because the single entry isn't specifically detailed with requirements.

I did, and they did.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Same information as before but with the 60-65 age group with a pension included.

That's been the theme on this forum for a while because the single entry isn't specifically detailed with requirements.

I did, and they did.

With respect you just told me via a message that you got a visa some time ago from Liverpool which is an Hon Consulate. 

As said I do not believe the visa you seek is now available either from the Embassy or the Consulates.

If you believe otherwise then apply but be sure to let everyone know if the application is successful(or not)  

• Like 1

Form the Hull consulate website. http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/non-immigrant-visa-cat-o-pensioner.php

Non-Immigrant Category "O" Visa on the basis of being a UK State Pensioner

The non-immigrant category O visa is available for persons who are receiving a UK State Pension. 

How old do you have to be to get a state pension? If the they cannot issue one do you think the embassy will.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Form the Hull consulate website. http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/non-immigrant-visa-cat-o-pensioner.php

How old do you have to be to get a state pension? If the they cannot issue one do you think the embassy will.

The currant age at which the pension is paid to those who qualify for a pension is 65. However that age will rise in future

The link contains a Gov.UK tool which can be used to by individual to calculate their "retirement age" .

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age

9 hours ago, perthperson said:

With respect you just told me via a message that you got a visa some time ago from Liverpool which is an Hon Consulate. 

As said I do not believe the visa you seek is now available either from the Embassy or the Consulates.

If you believe otherwise then apply but be sure to let everyone know if the application is successful(or not)  

I personally think that the OP would be far better off going for a non-OA visa as he is proposing rather than embarking on what will almost certainly turn out to be a wild goose chase for a single-entry non-O in the UK.

The only way in which he could obtain a single-entry non-O these days as far as I can tell would be through a trip to either Vientiane or Penang once he was out here. Or alternatively obtain a non-O conversion - although this would generally require 2 trips to the Chaengwattana Immigration Office in Bangkok 15 days apart from wherever he was planning to settle in Thailand.

And, if he were planning to be admitted into Thailand initially on the basis of the standard 30-day Immigration stamp in his passport at BKK, he would, of course, run the not inconsiderable risk of being denied permission to board his flight from the UK at check-in on the basis of a one-way ticket.

So, having been round the houses on this particular thread, I think that we have finally arrived back at square 1! 

Edited by OJAS

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:28 PM, spambot said:

**Visa fees are payable in pound sterling (£) in cash only**

- But this would seem impracticable if postal was acceptable?

Confirmation of payment accepted by Postal Order.

Please send the documents by Royal Mail Special Delivery (You can track the delivery status via Royal Mail: https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item). The embassy will not be held responsible for lost / stolen / damaged document. It is recommended to use the stamps to send and return rather than a franking stamp from the post office as franking stamps will limit the date of posting. 

Visa and postage fee must be paid by Postal Order made payable to: The Royal Thai Embassy. Please write down the applicant's name and passport number at the back of the postal order.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-modern

• Like 1

Just to get me back on track as the poster - With my original question asked:

The website for London Embassy seemed to indicate that sending application by post for O-A was possible - I was looking for guidance to establish if this was actually possible.

It was helpful when Tanoshi - identified that a friend has done this same application by post - hence it was an indicator that this was actually possible.

Ubonjoe and a few others were questioning how this might have been achieved when there has been few other reports of this occurring on the forum.

I just want to get the A-O visa that gives me 2 years (if I leave and return before end of visa date).

However I just do not want to travel down to London and stay overnight if I can prevent doing this.

Hence I was looking for clarity if I could make a postal application for the O-A visa.

Just to get me back on track as the poster - With my original question asked:
The website for London Embassy seemed to indicate that sending application by post for O-A was possible - I was looking for guidance to establish if this was actually possible.

It was helpful when Tanoshi - identified that a friend has done this same application by post - hence it was an indicator that this was actually possible.

Ubonjoe and a few others were questioning how this might have been achieved when there has been few other reports of this occurring on the forum.

I just want to get the A-O visa that gives me 2 years (if I leave and return before end of visa date).
However I just do not want to travel down to London and stay overnight if I can prevent doing this.

Hence I was looking for clarity if I could make a postal application for the O-A visa.

I should email them or persevere with a phone call.

I got my O-A last October from London, I don't remember if posting was an option I traveled down ( from Yorkshire) overnight by coach, presented my application early doors, bit of sightseeing before retiring to my shoebox hotel room.
Next day, few more photos, pick up passport ( 11.00 am I think), back on the coach up to " Gods country ".
Treat it like a little holiday, but I can fully understand if you don't feel inclined.
  • Like 1

I just came off a call to Liverpool Consulate.

Questions:

Can a postal application be made for O-A visa?

Answer:    

YES

They also sent me an email with a Microsoft word attachment which was supposed to show  written evidence that a postal application is acceptable  - Which ended up being just a copy of the web page (that has been linked in this thread). 

From this call and the information provided it would seem that the website even though does not explicitly identify the actual postal policy for just the O-A Visa applications - The interpretation should be - Postal applications are acceptable.

I have also emailed the London embassy with the same question, but I am not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 1:39 AM, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know you must still apply in person for the OA visa. It was clearly stated on the previous version of their website.

I have seen no reports of anybody doing it by post.

I know it is hard to contact the embassy but you may have to try and contact them to be sure.

Thanks Ubonjoe - Since so many people rely upon your advice - here is just to a little bit of extra to add to your library of support info.

I have made contact with a number of UK Thai consulates (since its difficult to get response from the London Embassy itself).

I have now a confirmation from Liverpool and also just a few minutes ago confirmation back from Glasgow (by email) in response to..

Question: "Is it acceptable for O-A visa application by post?"

Answer (copy & paste) "Yes only London can issue this type of visa and it can be done by post by special delivery so long as you submit the correct documentation which please check from the embassy."

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, spambot said:

Thanks Ubonjoe - Since so many people rely upon your advice - here is just to a little bit of extra to add to your library of support info.

I have made contact with a number of UK Thai consulates (since its difficult to get response from the London Embassy itself).

I have now a confirmation from Liverpool and also just a few minutes ago confirmation back from Glasgow (by email) in response to..

Question: "Is it acceptable for O-A visa application by post?"

Answer (copy & paste) "Yes only London can issue this type of visa and it can be done by post by special delivery so long as you submit the correct documentation which please check from the embassy."

Update: Just got a response from Hull:

Answer (copy & paste) : "The O-A visa is available only from the London Embassy and we understand that you must apply in person."

Ha - So Hull believe the contrary to the other two consulates - Nothing is ever straightforward when it come to Thailand I guess.

- So far results are 2.1 in favour of a postal application being acceptable. 

• Like 1

Hull are known not to be reliable with their information.

If you read the website page http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-modern  

Under the heading 'How to apply for a Visa by Post' the Visa types applicable are listed before the defined blue line separating it from the section 'How to apply for a Visa in Person'.

As I already stated I personally know someone who received the Non O-A Visa by post from London last year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spambot said:

Update: Just got a response from Hull:

Answer (copy & paste) : "The O-A visa is available only from the London Embassy and we understand that you must apply in person."

Ha - So Hull believe the contrary to the other two consulates - Nothing is ever straightforward when it come to Thailand I guess.

- So far results are 2.1 in favour of a postal application being acceptable. 

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Hull are known not to be reliable with their information.

If you read the website page http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-modern  

Under the heading 'How to apply for a Visa by Post' the Visa types applicable are listed before the defined blue line separating it from the section 'How to apply for a Visa in Person'.

As I already stated I personally know someone who received the Non O-A Visa by post from London last year.

And, for good measure,  the Cardiff Consulate's website includes this inaccurate information!

"At the present time the appropriate Visa “NON-IMMIGRANT” CAT “O-A” can only be obtained through personal application to the Royal Thai Embassy, 30, Queen’s Gate, London S.W.7 or the Office of the Immigration Bureau, Section 1, Sub Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 0120. Tel 0066-228/3101-10 Ext.2236."

http://www.thaiconsulatewales.org.uk/visas.htm

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And, for good measure,  the Cardiff Consulate's website includes this inaccurate information!

"At the present time the appropriate Visa “NON-IMMIGRANT” CAT “O-A” can only be obtained through personal application to the Royal Thai Embassy, 30, Queen’s Gate, London S.W.7 or the Office of the Immigration Bureau, Section 1, Sub Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 0120. Tel 0066-228/3101-10 Ext.2236."

http://www.thaiconsulatewales.org.uk/visas.htm

I think you've misinterpreted that information.

A 'personal application' and 'in person' are two entirely different meanings.

Applying yourself, by post, is a 'personal application'.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

Ha - OJAS Good spot  I didn't see that when I first visited their site -  and yes Tanoshi its a statement that could be open to interpretation.

Up till this time I have had no response back from Cardiff  - I called them yesterday, but I got no answer and no response from an email I sent after the call.  I have called them again just now (after both of your posts).

Answer:

"I think London will only issue O-A visa in person not by post, but you need to check on their website"

Question:

"But the website is not clear as  it could be interpreted that postal application will be accepted"

Answer:

"Mnnnn...OK....Then I would  advise you to call them (after 2pm) and finding out for definite."

I get the feeling that this consulate and indeed possibly none of the consulates might be giving me definitive answers.

There is only Birmingham (and of course London) that I have had no  response from, but since the actual consulate at Birmingham died April 2016 its not clear if they are yet back open (London embassy website says... "From 18 April 2016, Visa service at the Thai Consulate at Birmingham will no longer be available. Applicants are advised to submit their applications by post to the Royal Thai Embassy, London"). 

Don't you just love these Thai Visa vagaries - I think once you finally do get all these answers sorted out - You are then probably well qualified for a job at somewhere like -  Siam Legal.

6 hours ago, spambot said:

Don't you just love these Thai Visa vagaries - I think once you finally do get all these answers sorted out - You are then probably well qualified for a job at somewhere like -  Siam Legal.

Don't you believe it!

There website is full of incorrect information.

• Like 1

There is only Birmingham (and of course London) that I have had no  response from, but since the actual consulate at Birmingham died April 2016 its not clear if they are yet back open (London embassy website says... "From 18 April 2016, Visa service at the Thai Consulate at Birmingham will no longer be available. Applicants are advised to submit their applications by post to the Royal Thai Embassy, London"). 

Have you also contacted the remaining Thai consulate in the UK at Glasgow on this matter? Their website (http://www.thaiconsulscotland.org.uk/visa/) appears to be completely silent on the specific issue of OA visa applications!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, spambot said:

I get the feeling that this consulate and indeed possibly none of the consulates might be giving me definitive answers.

I expect you will get several confident and contradictory answers from them. I never trust anything Thai consulates tell me about anything other than rules and procedures for that specific consulate. Unfortunately, there is a tendency for people to assume they know what they are talking about.

• Like 1

Thanks  OJAS - Yup post # 42 - I was told by Glasgow on an email that I could apply by post

Oops, missed that one! :sorry:

Presumably you will be mailing your OA application to the Embassy by registered post (or recorded delivery at the very least) bearing in mind that you will need to include your passport. But what do you plan doing in order to ensure that the Embassy returns your passport by similar secure postal means (with hopefully a new OA visa stuck in it) in due course? Include an extra amount in your payment? Or provide a suitable SAE? Or what? Typically the Embassy's website appears to be completely silent on this crucial point!

Edited by OJAS

Oops, missed that one! :sorry:

Presumably you will be mailing your OA application to the Embassy by registered post (or recorded delivery at the very least) bearing in mind that you will need to include your passport. But what will you need to do in order to ensure that the Embassy returns your passport by similar secure postal means (with hopefully a new OA visa stuck in it) in due course? Include an extra amount in your payment? Or provide a suitable SAE? Or what? Typically the Embassy's website appears to be completely silent on this crucial point!

Enclose a postage paid return addressed envelope, special delivery so you can track it.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Enclose a postage paid return addressed envelope, special delivery so you can track it.

So will Royal Mail provide you with a tracking number with the postage for the return SAE? That is not the case here in Thailand, of course, where you can only stick stamps to the value of 40 THB to any return SAE which you want sent to you by EMS (e.g. 90-day confirmation slips in my case).

So will Royal Mail provide you with a tracking number with the postage for the return SAE? That is not the case here in Thailand, of course, where you can only stick stamps to the value of 40 THB to any return SAE which you want sent to you by EMS (e.g. 90-day confirmation slips in my case).

Yes. I did it when I sent off my wife's passport for an O visa. Just make sure keep the tracking receipt.
  • Like 1

UPDATE: Just got a response from London Embassy -  below is straight copy and paste - Showing confirmation that postal applications are acceptable.

-------------------------------------------------------------email sent------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Can you confirm that postal applications for O-A visa are acceptable?

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------email back------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

yes 

Kind Regards,

Visa Officer

Royal Thai Embassy
29-30 Queen's Gate,
London,
SW7 5JB
www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

UPDATE: Just got a response from London Embassy -  below is straight copy and paste - Showing confirmation that postal applications are acceptable.

-------------------------------------------------------------email sent------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
  Can you confirm that postal applications for O-A visa are acceptable?   Thanks -------------------------------------------------------------email back------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

yes 

Kind Regards,

Visa Officer

Royal Thai Embassy
29-30 Queen's Gate,
London,
SW7 5JB
www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not one for chitchat are they !! [emoji51]
  • Like 2