O-A Visa from London - Postal applications

As I understand (while I am currently here in the Uk) I can only get the O-A Visa  from the Thai Embassy in London and not from the other consulates, Hull, Liverpool, Cardiff etc

However I thought  I had to attend in person to make the application, but reading from the  website there is no clear direct instruction apart from an indicator in one of the sentences that says:

"send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned" - Find this from either of the two sources below.

1. Copy and past of the actual relevant section and highlighted

2. Actual website - (Deep down the page) I cut and paste for the above

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section8

Hence my question: Can the O-A Visa  from the Thai Embassy in London be applied for via the UK post?

Edited by spambot
the formating was lost when posted

"The Royal Thai Embassy in London commenced its visa application by post service on the 2 January 2014. Termination of visa services by post at the Royal Thai Consulates in the United Kingdom and Ireland (namely, the Royal Thai Consulates in Birmingham, Cardiff, Hull, Liverpool, Glasgow, Gibraltar and Dublin) will be effective from 15 January 2014." 

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-modern#section2

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, perthperson said:

"The Royal Thai Embassy in London commenced its visa application by post service on the 2 January 2014. Termination of visa services by post at the Royal Thai Consulates in the United Kingdom and Ireland (namely, the Royal Thai Consulates in Birmingham, Cardiff, Hull, Liverpool, Glasgow, Gibraltar and Dublin) will be effective from 15 January 2014." 

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-modern#section2

Thanks perthperson - Yup I read this same page - And it looked like I could apply by post when I read it but I was not certain - So I think you are you confirming that you read this as - Yes an applications by post can be made. 

As far as I know you must still apply in person for the OA visa. It was clearly stated on the previous version of their website.

I have seen no reports of anybody doing it by post.

I know it is hard to contact the embassy but you may have to try and contact them to be sure.

• Like 1

Yes you can apply for the O-A Visa by post, provided you are British citizen or have residence in the UK.

Check the requirement very carefully, criminal record clearance and health certificates required.

Cost a friend over £400 for required documents including Visa cost.

You could consider the alternative of a single entry Non Imm O Visa, then obtaining an extension from a local Immigration office.

Same financial requirements as the O-A except the 800,000 must be in a Thai bank, or not, if you can prove an income equivalent to 65,000 BHT per month.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes you can apply for the O-A Visa by post, provided you are British citizen or have residence in the UK.

What do you base that upon.

I am not aware of anybody doing it by post.

Most other visas yes but not the OA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Read the link supplied by perthman for postal applications.

All types of visas are issued according to your purpose of visit which must be stated clearly by the applicant. Failure to do so shall inevitably incur delays.

I know someone who obtained his Non O-A via post last year, but it's a touchy subject as he's made a real hash of the Visa.

• Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe - I had that very same feeling and was pleasantly surprised from the wording I saw on the site - as you say its difficult to call them, last time waited 55 mins with music on hold and no one did pick up. Hull are pretty active on call answering and usually good for information and so will call them on Monday.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks Tanoshi - Mnnnnn sounds promising if you know someone that did actually do this application by post. Reading this again I can see the following is also said....

**Visa fees are payable in pound sterling (£) in cash only**

- But this would seem impracticable if postal was acceptable?

I was a bit surprised at the cost of 400 GBP your friend uncured

- Was this new medicals or criminal reports required?

- If everything goes well the costs should be around:

Visa 125 GBP

Postage used to send passport back 10GBP

Criminal check 45 GBP

Medical certificate (approx) 50 GBP

Copies of bank statement, criminal record, medical record, Notified 4 x 5 GBP = 20 GBP

Total = 250 GBP

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Read the link supplied by perthman for postal applications.

I know someone who obtained his Non O-A via post last year, but it's a touchy subject as he's made a real hash of the Visa.

EXTRA QUESTION:

There is also the option stated on the web page to do this in Bangkok, which would make it much easier than actually travelling all the way down to London and staying overnight and then travelling back.

The words on the site are....

Start - "Channels to submit visa application and fee

1.  Applicants can submit their applications at the Royal Thai Embassy 

2.  The Office of the Immigration Bureau, Section 1, Sub-Division 1, Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 0066-22873101-10 Ext.2236"- End

-  This was a surprise when I read this. So does this mean that someone could enter the kingdom with just a visa exempt - And then simply go down to the Sathon immigration office with these  same docs together with the 125 GBP fee to achieve the same result for the visa O-A ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You could consider the alternative of a single entry Non Imm O Visa, then obtaining an extension from a local Immigration office.

If the OP is in receipt of the UK State Pension he is eligible for a non-O from the London Embassy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spambot said:

2.  The Office of the Immigration Bureau, Section 1, Sub-Division 1, Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 0066-22873101-10 Ext.2236"- End

It is not possible to apply for a OA visa at immigration.

the Soi Suan Plu immigration offices has been closed since 2009 when the office moved to Chaeng Wattana.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not possible to apply for a OA visa at immigration.

the Soi Suan Plu immigration offices has been closed since 2009 when the office moved to Chaeng Wattana.

Thanks ubonjoe - Amazing that this  is still on the London Thai Embassy web site especially  if things changed and now done only at Chaeng Wattana since 2009. This would also mean that whatever the interpretation is attempted to be made for 'visit or post' - just using their words on site - Might be irrelevant.

9 hours ago, spambot said:

Reading this again I can see the following is also said....

**Visa fees are payable in pound sterling (£) in cash only**

- But this would seem impracticable if postal was acceptable?

Agreed.

Can't say I noticed that before but I was told a postal order was acceptable, which is as good as cash.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You still meet the criteria for the single entry Non Imm O if your receiving any kind of income.

Not in the UK. You have to be 65 or over. Many reports about it on this forum.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not in the UK. You have to be 65 or over. Many reports about it on this forum.

NON IMMIGRANT VISA

(for purpose of business, study, conference, seminar, film production, journalism, job volunteer, for person accompanying Thai spouse, for persons over 50 years of age and pension earners over 60 - 65 years)

http://new.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa

And there are many reports contradicting that on this forum as well.

At age 60, I took early retirement with the intention of retiring to Thailand. I thought I would have to apply for the Non Imm O-A Visa because I didn't appear to meet the requirements for the Non Imm O Single or ME.

They told me as long as I was 60, had an income, and could show them the equivalent of 200,000 BHT in a UK bank, they could issue a Non Imm SE O Visa, and that is exactly what happened.

At that time it stated state pension earners of 65 years.

The site has since been updated as above.

I was issued and entered Thailand on a Non Imm O SE Visa. I will not be eligible to claim State Pension until next year.

I can only assume that those who gave negative reports, were either under 60, didn't have a proven income, or sufficient savings, or didn't supply sufficient proof of such.

Edited by Tanoshi

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Post one of them. There have been many reports of people not being able to get one within the past year.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Please provide links to these posts. 

London has, as far as I am aware, always strictly adhered to their stated requirements for the issue of a non "O" visa to those over 65 and to those over 50 applying for an O/A visa.   I look foreword to reading these many posts you claim say otherwise.

2 hours ago, perthperson said:

Tanoshi 

It occurs to me that you may have got this " Non Imm O SE Visa" you instance from Hull or one of the other Hon. Consulates.  Would this be true? 

I seem to recall that, way back in the mists of time, the Embassy did also issue single-entry non-O's to applicants aged between 50 and 65 before directing such applicants down the non-OA route instead.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I was issued and entered Thailand on a Non Imm O SE Visa.

So precisely when were you issued with this visa then?

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Post one of them. There have been many reports of people not being able to get one within the past year.

It was last year and I certainly can't recall the title of the topic. lol.

To maybe jog your memory, the same claim that you couldn't obtain a Non Imm O SE unless 65 and receiving a State Pension was also made by certain members and confirmed by yourself.

As I recall there were two members who stated differently claiming to have obtained Non Imm O SE Visa under the age of 65 and not in receipt of a State Pension. One posted a copy of his Visa.

I'll ask the following to all.

If a Non Imm O ME Visa is only available to those married to a Thai,  child, or 65 and in receipt of a State Pension.

And the Non Imm O-A Visa is available to those over 50 and meet the financial requirement.

Then which Non Imm O Visa do you think they can offer to those between 60-65 in receipt of a Pension. (Not state pension)

Non -Immigrant Visa

(for purpose of business, study, conference, seminar, film production, journalism, job volunteer, for person accompanying Thai spouse, for persons over 50 years of age and pension earners over 60 - 65 years)

http://new.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I'll ask the following to all.

For those who cannot qualify for an "O" or "O/A" visa then a tourist visa could be offered. 

The requirement for a State Pension is clear and I suspect those in receipt of any other type of pension would be rejected unless it provides an income of 65,000 Bht/month which of course meets the O/A visa requirement

As far as I am aware London is the only Thai Embassy which offers a ME visa to those with a State Pension. 

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

For those who cannot qualify for an "O" or "O/A" visa then a tourist visa could be offered. 

The requirement for a State Pension is clear and I suspect those in receipt of any other type of pension would be rejected unless it provides an income of 65,000 Bht/month which of course meets the O/A visa requirement

As far as I am aware London is the only Thai Embassy which offers a ME visa to those with a State Pension. 

You didn't look at the link I posted.

The information I copied and pasted is clearly under the heading Non Imm Visas

8 hours ago, perthperson said:

Tanoshi 

It occurs to me that you may have got this " Non Imm O SE Visa" you instance from Hull or one of the other Hon. Consulates.  Would this be true? 

There is truth in that but I should explain.

I have a lifelong friend with whom I visited Thailand many times before retirement. He had been married to a Thai for the last 8 years but not legally (Village marriage). He retired two month before me at the same age of 60.

At that time this same forum stated Consulates had stopped issuing the Non Imm O SE Visa.

We appeared to only qualify for the Non Imm O-A Visa, which we didn't really want as be both intended to apply for extensions at the end of 3 months.

As a result I e-mailed the Embassy and explained our position and the intention to retire in Thailand.

They replied that provided we were over 60 and in receipt of a monthly income (didn't specify a Pension) and could provide a bank statement showing the equivalent of 200,000 BHT to cover the 3 month Visa they could issue a SE Non Imm O Visa.

(There was no information whatsoever on the websites at that time to suggest we qualified)

As my mate lived in Kent they said he could apply at the Embassy (post) but I (Warrington) could obtain it at the Liverpool Consulate but only in person.

It transpired that only Hull had been restricted to issuing Tourist Visas at that time.

I'm suggesting to spambot that if he is 60 and in receipt of an income he may also qualify for the SE Non Imm O, as we did, which I firmly believe, although not very well advertised or explained,  the 60-65 group mentioned is for a Non Imm O SE Visa.

If we hadn't enquired and relied on the replies on this forum, we'd have ended up getting TV's then trying to get a Non Imm O SE at Vientiane, or even worse a conversion at Bangkok.

36 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You didn't look at the link I posted.

Maybe you should try reading the link content again --- 

Category "O"   To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

Seems clear enough to me.

36 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Maybe you should try reading the link content again --- 

Category "O"   To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

Seems clear enough to me.

That's for the ME Visa. Got to be 65 to get a State Pension.

So explain what Non Imm O they can issue to those 60-65 in receipt of Pension.

Always been no information about the SE or requirements but that doesn't mean they don't do it.

Same, same 4 years ago, but I obtained it when it wasn't even listed.

48 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That's for the ME Visa. Got to be 65 to get a State Pension.

So explain what Non Imm O they can issue to those 60-65 in receipt of Pension.

Always been no information about the SE or requirements but that doesn't mean they don't do it.

Same, same 4 years ago, but I obtained it when it wasn't even listed.

Sorry but the information is all there on the Embassies web site.

As far as I am aware SE non "O" visas are not issued for your purpose either by the Embassy or the Hon Consulates. 

If you believe they will issue you with the visa you want then apply.