vehicle insurance questions

manarak

I have browsed through a number of threads, but I'm still searching for the one thread with comprehensive information about all types of insurance for cars and motorcycles and the risks they cover and proceedings incase of accidents, i.e. what happens for passengers on each side, incase of government insurance and it's not enough, who pays for the 2 million baht hospital bill, can civil procedures be opened, are the insurances which act like a cover for all claims, what if the other party (guilty) is uninsured, etc.

Con someone please point me to the relevant thread/posts?

thank you.

14 hours ago, manarak said:

I have browsed through a number of threads, but I'm still searching for the one thread with comprehensive information about all types of insurance for cars and motorcycles

It doesn't exist.

what happens for passengers on each side, incase of government insurance and it's not enough

If one or either don't have anything other than the mandatory minimum 'government insurance', they are out of luck if property damage or loss and/or injuries are excessive.

who pays for the 2 million baht hospital bill

The insurers will pay up to the maximum agreed payable on any accident insurance policy in effect at the time.

can civil procedures be opened,

Yes but not sure if it's a common thing. Usually the krieng jai thingamabob prevails, cash payments, etc.. Any of these 'private' agreements need to be either approved and/or witnessed by the insurer and the police (if the latter are involved) as a safeguard against future claims. Shuts the subsequent opportunistic panhandling door pretty effectively.

are the insurances which act like a cover for all claims

If either or both party has fully comprehensive (first class) insurance, yes for all reasonable claims up to the maximum agreed payable on any accident insurance policy in effect at the time.

what if the other party (guilty) is uninsured,

Typically your insurance will make sure that the government insurance is maxed out before addressing subsequent and/or consequential claims up to the maximum agreed payable on any accident insurance policy in effect at the time.

22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It doesn't exist.

dang!

thanks anyway for the useful information NanLaew!

regarding the last part, you mean my own insurance will cover the damage I incurred from an uninsured third party ?

3 hours ago, manarak said:

dang!

thanks anyway for the useful information NanLaew!

regarding the last part, you mean my own insurance will cover the damage I incurred from an uninsured third party ?

Without knowing the specifics of your policy, I can only assume that it is 'First Class' which is the Thai equivalent of Fully Comprehensive in the UK. If this is the case, your insurance will cover "damage incurred from an uninsured party" up to the maximum agreed payable on any accident insurance policy in effect at the time. The equivalent of the UK's Third Party Fire & Theft (TPFT) probably equate with the cheaper Thai policies while Third Party Only (TPO) is a close equivalent to the Thai government minimum 'Por Ror Bor' insurance.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Without knowing the specifics of your policy, I can only assume that it is 'First Class' which is the Thai equivalent of Fully Comprehensive in the UK. If this is the case, your insurance will cover "damage incurred from an uninsured party" up to the maximum agreed payable on any accident insurance policy in effect at the time. The equivalent of the UK's Third Party Fire & Theft (TPFT) probably equate with the cheaper Thai policies while Third Party Only (TPO) is a close equivalent to the Thai government minimum 'Por Ror Bor' insurance.

So, this means that traffic is a huge risk for most people on the road.

3 hours ago, manarak said:

So, this means that traffic is a huge risk for most people on the road.

Yes. The only advice I offer is to get the maximum coverage you can afford.

And I can't work out how Thailand's car insurers make any money either.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes. The only advice I offer is to get the maximum coverage you can afford.

And I can't work out how Thailand's car insurers make any money either.

I can only take a wild guess that they treat first class subscribers and Westerners who have access to a lawyer very differently than the rest of their customers.

• 2 weeks later...

I´d just like to point out if you guy´s who are looking into car insurance, absolutely don´t go with AXA. I had Viriyah for my first years here in Thailand and have nothing but good to say about them, had only one incident (hit and run) so the car was fixed 100% with proper Toyota garage and no extra payment since it was first class insurance. Later on my friend started to sell insurance for AXA so I of cause wanted to support/buy from him which looked to be a good 1 class insurance. After 2 years two of my cars had a little scratches and bumps here and there so I wanted to get it fixed with my first class insurance. For starters I had to pay 1000 bht for each since it was hit and run/own damage plus 1000 bht for each place on each car. So I had to pay 8000 Bht for the two cars (on top of the first class yearly fee´s) and of cause I was not too happy. Anyway angry get´s you nowhere in the LOS so the cars were brought to the garages after waiting for a month to get in, who by the way were located in the jungle literally, but two different garages though. When I picked up the cars, they looked like my 5 year old son went on a rampage with a can of spray, terrible job but AXA say´d it´s just like that in Thailand. Few months later the paint started to bubble up and fall off so i saw they hadn´t even sandpapered the old paint down and now everything was falling off. I took them back to AXA and show´d them. They´re answer was so sorry for this, but we can make a new claim for you and you will only have to pay 1000 baht but we will make sure you will get the best garage. Again smile and pay. After another jungle party, well the job looked to be better this time but not better than that you could easily see the car had been damaged on those spots before, so better job but still not good. Within one year later the same thing, bubbles, paint braking up/falling off and the same thing, but this time I already did my research and I said  i´d like to take the cars to a proper garage to get it done for good. The answer was "no we don´t work with this garage" so what about Toyota "no you can not we don´t work with Toyota unless the car is brand new" So I said what options do I have? "well we have a very good garage bla bla bla" so I asked can you please just pay me the damage so I can take care of this by myself and I´ll be responsible if the cost is higher. The answer was NO. So basically AXA will force you to use they´re cheap jungle garages and they will be so nice to you when everything goes south, that they will find you a new garage in the jungle and you "only" have to pay the 1000 bht and they will "fix you a new claim" 

My point is avoid to buy insurance from companies like AXA. I´ve done a research lately and it seem´s to be Viriyah,  Mugan Thai and Thanachart who people are most satisfied with. 

Archived