CTH Box settings

LivinLOS

Short story. Anyone know the CTH transponder settings. 

Years ago I purchased a GMM-TV box.. When that was bought out they sent me a CTH box (free IIRC) which has been my wifes way of watching Thai TV on one setup (we use streaming on others). We have never paid them anything but it got all the Thai channels decent enough for her. 

Channel 7 recently disappeared from her channel listing, and she decided to do a scan and lost all her channels, poking around I think the transponder settings are lost. Theres options for vinasat and 2 options on Thaicom5 (Ku and C). Not getting a lock guessing at it and cant see them from a google search. 

Only thing I can tell you for sure is that if you have a smaller solid dish, then it's probably ku-band.  If it's a larger mesh type dish it's probably C-band.

True Visions also uses Thaicom so, if, the dish appears to be pointing in the same direction as True dishes on neighbours houses then I would try Thaicom first.

It basically appears like the NULL issue described in the other thread.. But bizarrely it appears like the dish / LNB and box are no longer talking (no signal strength etc indicators. 

I cannot see how she can have done anything with the remote to stop that (also she didnt know the 0000 to go into LNB settings) communication and theres no way the LNB failed the exact moment she tries to do a rescan, so god alone knows whats gone on. 

It does seem though that the box and LNB are not connecting. 

Unplug the box, then plug it back in.

Go through the reset process again.

While it's possible the LNB has failed, more likely the box is doing something weird.

The STB powers the LNB via the Coaxial Cable. Those are the only two active parts (unless you have multiple STB's connected). The 'dish' is a passive reflector, so no active parts. If the 'dish' gets physically nudged enough it will lose 'focus' on the target satellite ...though, as you say, it's unlikely to have been 'bumped' at the very same moment a channel rescan is requested (well, so long as you didn't throw the remote at the dish).

Use the CTH box (which was a plug in replacement for the GMM box).. to access the (presumably) FTA programming.. 

Tho I have no record of which satellite the GMM then CTH setup was pointing at. 

Frankly I never use this, I barely watch TV, and when I do its 100% kodi or streamed. I just happen to lack a spare android for that TV or she would watch it that way there and I would junk this. Just would be handy to make it work again (was fine 2 days ago, this all started from a missing ch7, she did a scan and lost the channels, now seemingly lost the signal totally) to save another android box purchase and give a fallback in case of internet issues. 

2 hours ago, ignis said:

Are you trying to get CTH  TV programs ??  

there are NO programs as it has gone bust.. see http://www.cth.co.th/

I still have it working on cable. Not that many channels but I don't pay for it anymore. I usually just use Netflix or the ton os movies on.my portable hard drives.

Well it was almost comical seeing the reactions of local satellite shops when you walk in with a CTH box.. No.. No.. Go away.. Shoo shoo.. <hand waving> I guess they caught so much flack on those they freak out at the sight of them 3 shops in a row acted exactly the same and wouldnt listen that it was the FTA channels I was trying to get. 

At that point I gave up and left the wife trying as I had better things to do, she ended up speaking with an installer who told her that CTH has 'sent a signal' to turn disable the box and make it useless (cough bullshit cough) without even touching our CTH box or plugging it in.. He then told her his own CTH box was the same, non functional in his home. Remember this isnt to get CTH programming, just FTA. He then tried to sell her a 3800 something.. 

Just ordered 2 more Xiaomi Mi Box's.. end the whole issue by going to streaming. 

Most 'package' DVB-S2 set top boxes will have TWO methods for building a channel list.

1. The box on cold startup or manual rescan will 'tune' to a company feed and wait for the box update datastream to start from the beginning. If this stream is no longer sent then the box may become unusable.

2. Via menu 'setup' many boxes will allow you to scan for additional FTA channels on the current satellite you're receiving. Sometimes this is automated, other times you need to specify parameters.

...and while a company can send a 'disable' signal, one would think the box would have gone non functional a long while ago. So most likely the box cleared the current channel list while waiting for the new list, that will never come. 

You could also replace the set top box with another set top box. But as your dish is currently pointed at Vinasat 2 it will need to be re-aligned with the three overlapping Thaicom satellites. But your additional Xiaomi Mi Box purchase may make future Sat reception unnecessary.

• 1 month later...