when the tuk-tuk herky-jerk went strangely, smoothly, silent

orang37

On ‎3‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, canthai55 said:

The problem with electric vehicles is that they are a net energy loser. Factor in the cost to produce, the cost of the batteries and their disposal, and the cost of the electric to charge them, and gasoline engines beat them every time.

Until governments around the world get behind this and provide subsidies, and at the same time placing a carbon tax on non renewable resources, this condition will remain.

As to the acceleration, this is something electrics provide in abundance - torque, right now.

That's what a lot of people forget or don't realise. There are only two types of engines, Internal combustion and external combustion.

The energy still comes from somewhere.

And it isn't from renewable energy in any appreciable form at the moment regardless of what the rabid greenies insist.

14 hours ago, mwbrown said:

Those numbers are realistic.  My electric scooter goes 60 km on a charge that costs 4 baht.  Start and stop is generally not bad as long as he's not always flooring it, especially if the motor and controller use regenerative braking.  High speed is the real range killer due to air resistance.  I'm building a new lithium battery pack that will easily double the range in the same space and be much lighter too.

I don't see evidence that the e-tuks in CM are using generative braking. It would be great it they were.

13 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Never thought there were any problems like that with Lao tourists, actually never thought there were many Lao tourists.  Laos is the northern bordering country, isn't it?  Or are you in Laos and talking about China? 

Thanks for your pedantic response. I stand corrected!  Meant to say "country to our north."  

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, mwbrown said:

Not true.  I just attended the two-day International Electric Vehicle Technology Conference in Bangkok.  Multiple parts of the Thai government, especially the Ministry of Finance, are very involved in promoting the manufacture of EV parts and whole cars here, also other parts of the infrastructure including charging stations and training centers.

If you're interested and have 38 minutes to spare, you can watch my video report on the conference: 

You misunderstood what I am saying. I am referring to removing CO2 from the air, not technology to prevent CO2 entering the air.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You misunderstood what I am saying. I am referring to removing CO2 from the air, not technology to prevent CO2 entering the air.

Maybe you'd like to share details about this technology?

Google will share:

About 49,100,000 results (0.60 seconds) 

Search Results

Carbon dioxide removal (CDR) methods refers to a number of technologies which reduce the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Among such technologies are bio-energy with carbon capture and storage, biochar, direct air capture, ocean fertilization and enhanced weathering.

6 hours ago, amexpat said:

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If we can reduce the amount of CO2 we're putting in the air, then the plants will be able to manage the capture as they've been doing for billions of years.  Right now the plants (those remaining after clear cutting of forests around the world) and the oceans are overwhelmed by human-caused CO2.

Read deeper and at 380K baht every 3 years for a new battery bank it means the tuk tuk has to make over 300 baht profit each day just to pay for the replacement batteries (assuming a 365 day operation which won't happen)

Financially it's a no go for Lithium Ion batteries and a new wave of theft of car batteries.

7 hours ago, mwbrown said:

If we can reduce the amount of CO2 we're putting in the air, then the plants will be able to manage the capture as they've been doing for billions of years.  Right now the plants (those remaining after clear cutting of forests around the world) and the oceans are overwhelmed by human-caused CO2.

Not in my opinion. Humans are destroying forested areas due to overpopulation and what is left is IMO unlikely to be able to do as you say.

IMO, as long as humans breed the way they are doing, the human race is doomed due to their own irresponsibility.

Electric tuk tuks are going to make not the slightest bit of difference.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not in my opinion. Humans are destroying forested areas due to overpopulation and what is left is IMO unlikely to be able to do as you say.

IMO, as long as humans breed the way they are doing, the human race is doomed due to their own irresponsibility.

Electric tuk tuks are going to make not the slightest bit of difference.

Not often I agree with you but in this case I do.

On 02/07/2017 at 10:12 PM, jonwilly said:

As an old Brit  I was brought up to Look Right, Look Left and Look right again before crossing road.

Though I must admit a bit of noise is desirable.

john

Bring back the man in front with a red flag!

In BKK a few weeks back, I was intrigued to see red flags at a zebra crossing, to be used when attempting to cross the road.

But electric bikes are compulsory in some large Chinese cities - the ones which don't allow diesel.

On 7/2/2017 at 2:15 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

So we now have to look forward to being knocked down by silent tuk tuks going the wrong way as we can't hear them coming and are looking only at the oncoming traffic.

:shock1:

They should have to make some sort of noise to warn pedestrians.

Happens in China all the time with electric scooters. You don't hear them coming.

• 5 months later...