Horn stuns Pacquiao to win WBO welterweight world title

Horn stuns Pacquiao to win WBO welterweight world title

640x640 (9).jpg

Boxing - Manny Pacquiao v Jeff Horn - WBO World Welterweight Title - Brisbane, Australia - July 2, 2017. Jeff Horn of Australia punches Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines. AAP/Dave Hunt/via REUTERS

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia's Jeff Horn stunned Filipino Manny Pacquiao in a bloody Brisbane battle to claim a unanimous 12-round decision and win the WBO world welterweight title in front of 50,000 fans at Lang Park on Sunday.

The unheralded 29-year-old former schoolteacher, who improved his record to 17-0-1, was awarded the win over the eight-division world champion by scores of 117-111, 115-113 and 115-113.

"I'm so happy, I can't explain my feelings," Horn said at ringside, before welcoming the prospect of a rematch.

"I've just believed since I was very young that I could do this."

Pacquiao, one of the finest boxers of his generation, paid the price for a slow start and his inability to end the fight with a knockout.

The 38-year-old was knocked off his stride by the aggression of the taller and heavier Australian in the early rounds but looked to have weathered the storm as the fight wore on and Horn tired.

With blood pouring from both sides of his forehead after accidental butts, the southpaw launched a fierce assault on Horn which nearly ended the contest in round nine.

"Show me something in this round, or I'm going to stop the fight," the referee warned the Australian.

Horn, who was cut above his right eye in round two, said he had been exhausted and rattled by the Filipino's punches.

"It was hard, hard getting through that round, hard getting hit, getting caught with a shot and then continue on," Horn said.

"(But) I was like 'settle down everyone, I'm fine'. I was recovering pretty quickly."

'PEOPLE'S CHAMP'

The Australian showed remarkable powers of recuperation as he battled gamely on through the final three rounds with Pacquiao, who earned the last of his 38 knockouts in 2009, unable to capitalise on his dominance.

The bout ended with the fighters in a clinch on the ropes and although Pacquiao gave a little shuffle and a grin to show he had plenty left in the tank, his fate was in the hands of the judges.

"Very tough. I didn't expect that tough," said Pacquiao, whose record now reads 59-7-2. "It's okay, it's part of the game. That's the decision of the judges, I respect that."

Pacquiao, who had hoped for an impressive victory to fire talk of another fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr, said he would "absolutely" return for the contracted rematch against Horn.

An emotional Horn brandished a walking stick as he also called out the undefeated Mayweather, who has come out of retirement at 40 years of age for a 12-round crossover boxing match against mixed martial arts champion Conor McGregor.

"This is no joke, which one does he want? The walking stick or the gloves?" the Queenslander said.

The loss stunned people in the Philippines, where Pacquiao, now a high-profile senator, has long been a national hero.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s spokesman, Ernesto Abella, said the loss "would not diminish the honours he bestowed to the people and to the flag".

"Nothing will change: Senator Manny Pacquiao will remain our People’s Champ," Abella said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-02

Great fight and well done Horn he put on a great performance and when the scorecards were read out I thought no way Pacquiao didn't win by that much then they said a new :shock1:  shocking decision if ever I saw one and if this wasn't a fix to make the rematch then I'm Mike Tyson.

time for pac-man to pac it in.

the speed of in and out wasnt there.

when he couldnt put horn away in the ninth the writing was on the cards,i for one wasnt suprised at the result athough the 117-111 was a little bit off course.

16 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

Great fight and well done Horn he put on a great performance and when the scorecards were read out I thought no way Pacquiao didn't win by that much then they said a new :shock1:  shocking decision if ever I saw one and if this wasn't a fix to make the rematch then I'm Mike Tyson.

I didn't see the fight or watch the replay yet.

But Lennox Lewis wrote much the same as you. He couldn't see anyway Horn could've won it. Boxing News wrote the same; and I saw several Aussie fans on FB saying whilst proud of Horn they were a tad surprised he got the result.

1 hour ago, Gregster said:

Losers will always make up conspiracy theories. 

The facts of the matter are that ALL 3 NEUTRAL scorers ruled in Horns favour.  

Winners are grinners. Losers can please themselves...

Yes. And the issue with all 3 neutral judges scoring in a way that mystifies the commentators, boxing press, former professional world champions and countless fans is not exactly a new or infrequent issue. Now is it?

Good for Manny and Horn; they both get another nice pay day as soon as they decide on  the money split for the rematch. I'm waiting till the third a deciding match to really place my money on a table.

Yes. And the issue with all 3 neutral judges scoring in a way that mystifies the commentators, boxing press, former professional world champions and countless fans is not exactly a new or infrequent issue. Now is it?

The current scoring system ensures that there will always be scorecard controversy in the sport of boxing.
Maybe they should change the rules so that the scorers decision is reversed if commentators, boxing press, former professional world champions and countless fans disagree with the original decision?

Didn't see the fight....but on BBC Sports news they said Horn contacted with 17 percent of his punches.....and Manny contacted with 37 percent of his. A bit of a strange result based on that, and Horn was knocked down. Maybe the judges should be people who know nothing about boxing, and they give their decisions based on what they see right in front of them.....I doubt they would get it wrong.

4 hours ago, Mansell said:

Didn't see the fight....but on BBC Sports news they said Horn contacted with 17 percent of his punches.....and Manny contacted with 37 percent of his. A bit of a strange result based on that, and Horn was knocked down. Maybe the judges should be people who know nothing about boxing, and they give their decisions based on what they see right in front of them.....I doubt they would get it wrong.

Horn did go down but it was ruled out, he got a slap for sure  before he went down and I would have to watch it again as the room erupted. Not sure about the correct punches landed but I read something like Pacquiao 180 odd to Horns 80 odd so that tells the story. If it was for headbutting, grabbing the head of the opponent and using the elbows then Horn was the clear winner, in any other country he would have at least had 2 points deducted if not disqualified. Any way it was a very exiting fight blood all over the place and Horn ended up with a face like a smashed kebab, looking forward to the next bout and I agree with the poster before saying they will be another after the next.

If Manny had shown the same intent as Horn from the start it may have been a different result,but he didn't.

Well done to Horn.Not sure about showing a walking stick to Mayweather though.Horn can box but the trash talking is not him.

21 hours ago, Gregster said:

The judges WERE from another country!

Try to obtain the facts before posting your dribble.

Had that fight been in America, England, Germany say he would have had points deducted and maybe disqualified. It's clear you have no clue what your talking about and the only poster posting dribble on this thread is you.

So you think Horn outpointed Pacquiao in that fight?

Horn clearly got smashed in some rounds ...especially the 9th !!

But horn did just enough in the early and final rounds to win... as recorded unanimously by all judges.

Not only has Pacquiao amassed more 500M, he has given over 100M to help the poor in his country. Time for you for go research and confirm this, keyboard hero dribble boy. Will you let me know if you can't find any confirmation?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Back on topic?Paquio clearly was not prepared for this bout,he underestimated his opponent and that cost him dearly.

rule number one,never underestimate your opponent,he will come prepared for the rebout and win.

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Back on topic?Paquio clearly was not prepared for this bout,he underestimated his opponent and that cost him dearly.

rule number one,never underestimate your opponent,he will come prepared for the rebout and win.

He did for sure... It's a win win for both, Horns the champion now and Pacquiao will fight him again rematches generate money if the first fight was good, look at the morallez fights the marquez fights eaven the bradley fights, millions to be had, look at golden boy now, how do you get a fight with there top men? Next we have Alvarez vs Golovkin! who is gonna take that? I'll be cheering for Golovkin but ill bet my bottom dollar Alvarez wins on points.

Jeff Horn's upset victory over Manny Pacquiao may be re-scored but the Australian's welterweight world title is safe.

The World Boxing Organisation has agreed to a Filipino government department's request to review Sunday's fight after the legendary Pacquiao described the unanimous decision against him as unfair.

The Philippines Games and Amusements Board's (GAB) based their request on protecting boxing's integrity, citing possible miscalls by the referee and judges.

Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/07/07/11/05/wbo-rules-out-revoking-horn-s-world-title#7tljmLk4FDTVbPQe.99

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy: 14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

On 7/3/2017 at 2:34 PM, Mansell said:

Jeff Horn defeated Manny Pacquiao, says the World Boxing Organisation after independent re-score.

Five anonymous judges reviewed the fight, determining Horn won the first, second, fourth, sixth, seventh, 10th and 12th rounds, while others were scored in favour of Pacquiao.

In a statement released from Puerto Rico, the WBO said that Horn won seven rounds to Pacquiao's five.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/jeff-horn-defeated-manny-pacquiao-says-the-world-boxing-organisation-after-independent-rescore-20170710-gx8m7w.html

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy: 14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Posts in violation of fair use policy have been edited to comply with this forum rule:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.