Foreign labourers must register at borders, says PM

webfact

Foreign labourers must register at borders, says PM
By The Nation

78ece73766b2de3729397fb0e46d1ee6.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Monday that foreign workers are to be registered at border checkpoints as they enter the country.

He made the remark after the government delayed enforcement of a tough executive degree on foreign labour in light of complaints from employers about its severe penalties for using illegal workers.

Prayut acknowledged that Thai industry and many households rely heavily on manpower from neighbouring countries.

He advised authorities to take into account the size of the business before imposing a hefty fine. 

“Should a street stall selling noodles be fined Bt400,000?” he asked in a speech at the annual National Economic and Social Development Board conference.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319742

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-03

“Should a street stall selling noodles be fined Bt400,000?” he asked in a speech at the annual National Economic and Social Development Board conference

You allowed this law to be passed and you're now asking rhetorical questions about it not being fair? My god, man. 

A stall selling noodles couldn't afford a 400k fine. Why was this not cleared up before the law came onto affect. But as usual, the people with the least amount of money and power will suffer the most. Well done. 

I shoul imagine a street noodle seller will be fined as much as the fining official thinks they can stump up. No doubt an informal system of regular contributions will be available, to umh, reduce the impact as it were.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Monday that foreign workers are to be registered at border checkpoints as they enter the country."

That should make it much easier to track down perpetrators who murder foreign tourists. 

What does that mean, register at the border?

I want work in Thailand register me ...? Of course they will not accept .am Konfuzed.

I though legal foreign workers have contract and employment permit issued by labour n immigration Depts 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

workers are to be registered at border checkpoints

How is that going to work ?  Sounds perfect for trafficking.  That means that they must have a job before entering.  They must rely on agents then.  How scrupulous are those guys?  Sounds like a very heavy handed solution for a non problem.  Malaysia had the same problem, but managed it better.  Sadly, Thai officialdom loves to re-invent the wheel.  Sometimes the solutions are just over the border or an hour's flight away.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“Should a street stall selling noodles be fined Bt400,000?” he asked in a speech at the annual National Economic and Social Development Board conference.

Assuming you have passed a law detailing the offence and fines which violators will need have to face, yes?

Welcome to the real world where balancing equality and fairness is akin to games balancing PvE and PvP and wanting it to work out for everybody. Implementing something because it sounded good and understanding the problem afterwards are two different beasts.

I thought the whole idea of hitting the employers hard was to stop the hiring of illegal migrants which in turn supplies the traffickers with a trade in humans?

I don't care if the employer is Toyota, a construction site, a noodle stall or a private household, an illegal migrant being  given work is the same for all and the deterrent should stand for all, regardless of what the owner can or cannot afford to pay as a fine.

The fine is the deterrent and should be fixed at a level that makes hiring illegals a thing of the past.

Not set it at a level that the corrupt employers can afford!

The idea is to stamp out the employment of illegal migrants who are often exploited either with low wages or the worst working conditions.

If they have the correct documentation then they can be employed properly... what's the issue with that?

All hell has broken loose on Koh Samui. There is a camp with over 5,000 arrested foreigners, mostly Burmese ready to be deported. My friend lost 4 of her staff yesterday as they returned home. To hire a Burmese, Cambodian or person from Laos you need to first get a Baht 20,000 license (renewable) then they (the person you want to hire) has to have a Passport (card won't do anymore) then you have to pay another Baht 20,000 to get their permit BUT they can only work as a Gardner or Maid.  We were briefed by a large Law firm today.  And you thought Trump's travel and wall were bad, this is going to change EVERYTHING!

19 hours ago, JAG said:

I shoul imagine a street noodle seller will be fined as much as the fining official thinks they can stump up. No doubt an informal system of regular contributions will be available, to umh, reduce the impact as it were.

Easy monthly cash repayment terms (plus interest) seems the go.

The concept of free movement of labour has never been part of ASEAN.

One big fake Publicity Head of Gov junket is ASEAN. They teach it to kids in schools as something special but the developed countries in SE Asia e.g. Singapore Malaysia know it's not ! Without free movement of Labour and finance it will achieve nothing economically!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, yellowboat said:

How is that going to work ?  Sounds perfect for trafficking.  That means that they must have a job before entering.  They must rely on agents then.  How scrupulous are those guys?  Sounds like a very heavy handed solution for a non problem.  Malaysia had the same problem, but managed it better.  Sadly, Thai officialdom loves to re-invent the wheel.  Sometimes the solutions are just over the border or an hour's flight away.

Your hypothesis sounds very sensible and reasonable. One minor problem is that Thai military consider themselves to know everything and there is nothing to learn from others.

23 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Your hypothesis sounds very sensible and reasonable. One minor problem is that Thai military consider themselves to know everything and there is nothing to learn from others.

Correct, if it is not a Thai solution, it is not a solution.  It is hard to watch Thailand act so badly while their neighbors just get on with their business.