Workers extorted as they flee Thai crackdown

geovalin

(...)

A temporary receiving station for illegal migrant workers, set up in Poipet and manned by NGOs and local authorities, is providing advice about working legally in Thailand and the proper procedures for applying for passports and employment visas. Workers are also being provided with assistance to enable them to return to their homes.

At the station, many workers angrily alleged they had to pay bribes up to three times on their way to Cambodia. Some claimed they had to pay several hundred bahts  each to the police as transport charges, while others said they were extorted even higher by Thai officers.

The workers said they were not informed as to why they had to pay the fees and there were no explanations nor exceptions for any worker trying to get back through Poipet. Phun Thea, 42, from Banteay Meanchey province, said she had been working on a construction site with her husband since they made the move to Thailand in early 2015 without passports.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39942/workers-extorted--as-they-flee-thai-crackdown/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 04/07

Extortion and exploitation go hand in hand in Thailand whilst  the security mafias of the RTA and RTP to name 2  are supported by the Elite and the Junta.  As I said many times before "to kill a snake you need to cut it's head off".

Edited by whatawonderfulday

.Years ago, I drove a bus between Los Angeles and Tijuana, Mexico and often had migrant workers going back to their homes.  I heard many stories from them about the Mexican authorities demanding part of their saved wages - not only after they got through the border, but on the trains/buses headed south.  By the time they got to their homes, they were lucky to have even half of their many months wages left to give to their families.  So unfortunately, it happens other places besides here. 

And it angers me greatly that the head of all this corruption, an un-elected 'head of state'...... Is going to be welcomed soon into My country's White House......... I wish 'we' could get Trump out of there so it wouldn't happen............