Travel vaccines for a parent/a child

momttc

Hello,

My 9 month old child and I will be traveling to Thailand in mid Sep to mid Oct (1 month stay, mostly in BKK). I have already vaccinated Hep A & Hep B and they are good for 15 years while my child has already vaccinated Hep B (only the first dose & 2nd booster, the 3rd booster will be given at Nov 2017 in Canada). I did some research and talked with our family doctor who told me that my child and I will not get a flu shot here as it's northern hemisphere type which is different from Thailand's. She said it's unnecessary but I am concerned about our health because it is a rainy season when we are there. Do you think my child and I need a flu shot after we arrive in Thailand?

My child will not get Hep A or chicken pox vaccines as it's not recommended after a child is 1 year old or older. In Canada, they don't have BCG (TB vaccine) but I read that if one has a TB vaccine, the result will be tested positive no matter that person has TB carrier or not. I am not sure if BCG (TB vaccine) needs to be given to my child when we arrive in Thailand. I also wonder if my child needs any typhoid vaccine or any other vaccines related to her age. 

Your reply is highly appreciated. 

BCG not advised for children in developed countries.

Hep A is advisedfor children starting at age 1 year onward  (opposite of what you wrote) but can be given s early as 6 months if necessary per the Canadian Pediatrc Society recs, and travelling to Thailand would certainly qualify that as necessary. Suggest you get it.  http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/hepatitis_a

Chickenpox indeed  should not be given before age 1 year.

You can both get flu shots for  the "Soputhern Hemisphere" strain at thsi place, friendly clinic run by a British GP with very reasonable prices  https://www.medconsultasia.com/

14 hours ago, aussiehat said:

Thailang on northern hemisphere last time i looked

Technically you would be correct but Thailand sits between the Tropics of Cancer/Capricorn and is definitely a Tropical country which shares much with countries in the Southern hemisphere.  That includes flu and vector born disease such as Malaria, Dengue etc.

Edited by perthperson
spelling

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎04 at 7:13 AM, Sheryl said:

BCG not advised for children in developed countries.

Hep A is advisedfor children starting at age 1 year onward  (opposite of what you wrote) but can be given s early as 6 months if necessary per the Canadian Pediatrc Society recs, and travelling to Thailand would certainly qualify that as necessary. Suggest you get it.  http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/hepatitis_a

Chickenpox indeed  should not be given before age 1 year.

You can both get flu shots for  the "Soputhern Hemisphere" strain at thsi place, friendly clinic run by a British GP with very reasonable prices  https://www.medconsultasia.com/

Thanks a lot for the info. That's really helpful and solve my doubts. I asked our GP here and she had no idea about the flu shot for northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere. She said I could get either ones but we should not get ones from Thailand and ones from here as it's too much. If we get ones from Canada, I'm afraid it may not prevent us while we are in Thailand for a month. If we get ones in Thailand after our arrival, she said it may not  prevent during our 1 month stay because the vaccine takes a few weeks to be immuned and it may not prevent us there either but next time's visit as long as we plan to travel there within a year after a shot. If we get ones in Thailand, she told us not to get ones in Canada after our return.  I was wondering if we should get ones there or here. Any suggestions?

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎07 at 2:17 AM, lopburi3 said:

Actually in my experience it depends on the time of year which flu shot you will obtain in Thailand - this time of year it will be Southern.

Interesting to know! How do I know when it will be southern or northern hemisphere for a shot in Thailand? We will be in Thailand in mid Sep to mid Oct or the end of Oct (rainy season in Thailand). I used to go there (before having a baby) in Nov to Apr (winter & summer season there), so I have never got ones there but in Canada alone). 

You will note the WHO recommendations differ N/S of the equator. 

http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/2016_17_north/en/

http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/2017_south/en/

Flu vaccine take <> 2 weeks before protection is afforded.

If you decide to reject the Northern vaccine you are vulnerable once you return to Canada after the month you plan to spend in Thailand.

Vulnerable is a strong word - at best vaccine is a guess - there is always a chance to contract something the shot does not protect against regardless of which shot you receive.

Northern seems to become available here in the fall (as it does in western countries it is primarily made for) - believe sometime in October is normal.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Vulnerable is a strong word - at best vaccine is a guess - there is always a chance to contract something the shot does not protect against regardless of which shot you receive.

Northern seems to become available here in the fall (as it does in western countries it is primarily made for) - believe sometime in October is normal.

Whatever you say.

I just posted info from the WHO which relates to the composition of the vaccines ---- 

Are you claiming that Northern vaccines are routinely offered in Thailand ?  Where can this information be verified? 

1 hour ago, perthperson said:

You will note the WHO recommendations differ N/S of the equator. 

http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/2016_17_north/en/

http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/2017_south/en/

Flu vaccine take <> 2 weeks before protection is afforded.

If you decide to reject the Northern vaccine you are vulnerable once you return to Canada after the month you plan to spend in Thailand.

So would you recommend both of us to get flu shots both in Canada and Thailand even though it's 1 or 1.5 months apart? After our return from Thailand in mid Oct or end of Oct, it's gonna be winter and Health Canada recommends to get a flu shot at that time. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

It's interesting to know that Thailand could give people a flu shot both northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere. I remember I asked a travel clinic in BKK before that Thais should get a flu shot for northern hemisphere if they travel to EU or North America. That is only the words provided by a travel clinic, not the Thai hospitals. 

Just now, momttc said:

So would you recommend both of us to get flu shots both in Canada and Thailand

No  

You should decide on which of the vaccines best suites your requirements. Remember if you choose to be vaccinated in Thailand you will be unprotected for about two weeks (possibly longer for the baby who has an immature immune system) 

As you only intend to stay in Thailand for a month maybe your GP is correct in the advice she offered.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎12 at 10:44 AM, perthperson said:

No  

You should decide on which of the vaccines best suites your requirements. Remember if you choose to be vaccinated in Thailand you will be unprotected for about two weeks (possibly longer for the baby who has an immature immune system) 

As you only intend to stay in Thailand for a month maybe your GP is correct in the advice she offered.

Thank you. I went to see our GP again and my child's paediatrician for a second opinion. Apparently, our GP said that Hep A for my child can be given as early as 6 months old if necessary (recommended for 1 year old child and older). I also asked the same question to my child's paediatrician who told me that she doesn't want my baby to get Hep A because my baby might not have a proper/complete immune yet. That's why Hep A is recommended for a baby aged 1 year old and older. There's no harm to get Hep A but it doesn't guarantee to prevent Hep A in Thailand (she said only 50-50 depending on my baby's body). I'm thinking to get Hep A or not for my baby. If you were in my situation, would you get one for your baby?

As it will be rainy season and we will be outs and abouts every day. We will be by BTS, MRT a lot and with the crowd everywhere. I'm afraid my baby might get Hep A in the air if someone spread or touches my baby. I can say to people not to touch my baby but to avoid people's sneezing/coughing in the air is unavoidable. 

For the flu shot,  our GP said that we should get the shot in Thailand (southern hemisphere) but will protect us only 2 weeks or less as you said and no need to get northern hemisphere shot after our return to Canada while our paediatrician told us that we should get one shot (southern hemisphere) in Thailand and get another shot (northern hemisphere) after our return in Oct. For the flu shot, I will probably follow paediatrician 's recommendation for both of us. I hope that's not too much for my 9 month old baby at that time because it's only 1 month apart to get each shot there and here.

4 minutes ago, momttc said:

Thank you. I went to see our GP again and my child's paediatrician

Only one comment.,,,,,,, Hep A is not normally considered to be an airborne disease and normal hygiene precautions should ensure the baby is safe.

You ask my advice !  Sorry but your GP + Paediatrician have provided you with their professional advice which is based on their knowledge of you and your family. You should follow their advice as you seem to have decided to do. 

Enjoy your holiday.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎14 at 9:50 AM, perthperson said:

Only one comment.,,,,,,, Hep A is not normally considered to be an airborne disease and normal hygiene precautions should ensure the baby is safe.

You ask my advice !  Sorry but your GP + Paediatrician have provided you with their professional advice which is based on their knowledge of you and your family. You should follow their advice as you seem to have decided to do. 

Enjoy your holiday.

Thank you so much.