English tests to be mandatory for all Thai Army chiefs

webfact

English tests to be mandatory for all Thai Army chiefs
By The Nation

8b403524937b81fbf1d2da57b3a692e0.jpeg

Army chief Gen Chalermchai Sitthisart

BANGKOK: -- Chiefs of all Army battalions across the country will be required to take an English competency test in addition to a physical fitness test next month.

Speaking before chairing a meeting of chiefs of Royal Thai Army's organic units on Tuesday, Army chief Gen Chalermchai Sitthisart said he would issue an order for all battalion chiefs to be tested for their physical fitness next month at the Royal Thai Army Club. They would need to take an English competency exam, too.

The English test requirement could be a response to an order mentioned by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha during a speech on the 12th Economic and Social Development Plan and Thailand’s future at Muang Thong Thani in Nonthaburi. 

He said any recruitment test for civil servants from now on would include a mandatory English language test.

Prayut addressed the importance of English, saying official documents should all have Thai and English versions. 

“It will show the development and be well-informed. At least it [an English document] can help about the literacy rate. I don’t want others to be dumb like me,” Prayut said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319875

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-04

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

“It will show the development and be well-informed. At least it [an English document] can help about the literacy rate. I don’t want others to be dumb like me,” Prayut said.

Enough said.

Do I need to say any more !

Good move!....next useful step would be in similar requirements for counter level immigration and police officers to also learn some english?.....and to give some government funded basic courses in Thai to farang newcommers?

That is wonderful news. 

However, I hope it is a speaking test and not a written test. 

It amazes me that the bar girls in pattaya all speak excellent English to emulate their job.

But a highly educated government worker can't put 2 words together. 

Transform thailand to be English speak, the economic rewards will be had by all ?????

5 minutes ago, greenchair said:

That is wonderful news. 

It amazes me that the bar girls in pattaya all speak excellent English to emulate their job.

Transform thailand to be English speak, the economic rewards will be had by all ?????

Speaking of putting 2 words together....

If you are yourself a native English speaker, you might want to look up the meaning of the English word "emulate".

:whistling:

Why would it be considered important for Army battalion chiefs to be tested for their English competency?

Surely it would be more important for public servants like the Royal Thai Police or the Immigration Police... an occupation that involves coming into regular contact with native English speakers?

23 minutes ago, landtrout said:

Speaking of putting 2 words together....

If you are yourself a native English speaker, you might want to look up the meaning of the English word "emulate".

:whistling:

Well I did and it said to match to. 

So English to emulate their job would mean having enough English skills to match the need of their job. Their job is conning foreigner to part with their money in a very nice way. 

Sorry that you don't have the English skill to understand emulate. Perhaps you need some lessons down at the bar. ????

20 minutes ago, Encid said:

Why would it be considered important for Army battalion chiefs to be tested for their English competency?

English is considered the international military language.  This is for both study, and in Thailand's case and many other countries,  the ability to talk to their US and other western (native and non native English speaking) counterparts. 

I would imagine (hope!) the Thai military will also have a cadre of officers fluent in the regional languages and Chinese dialects.

1 hour ago, tso310 said:

Does the Dear Leader speak understandable English ? Never heard him speaking in it but I suppose I've never seen him on TV where he needed to.

I have heard him speak English on a YouTube video. His standard was not too bad at all, to be fair.

1 hour ago, tso310 said:

Surely it should be Mandarin that needs to learnt. 

From a practical sense, given Thailand's cozy relationship with China, but many Chinese speak English and the rest of the real world knows that English is the international language of commerce. .

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Would love to see a few of those guys do a physical.. and that English is promoted is of course a good thing. 

I would like to see Prawit do a physical would be fun to watch. 

When you say fun, do you really mean arousing? 

19 hours ago, greenchair said:
That is wonderful news. 
Transform thailand to be English speak, the economic rewards will be had by all [emoji765][emoji765][emoji765][emoji765][emoji765]

Well at the risk of being thought crude, the bar girls are being <deleted>, and for that reason wish to attract the people they deal with; whereas the highly educated government "worker" is <deleted> people, and probably couldn't care less about the people he deals with...

That is wonderful news. 
Transform thailand to be English speak, the economic rewards will be had by all [emoji765][emoji765][emoji765][emoji765][emoji765]

You are using a word "emulate" you don't know the meaning of everyone knows what you are trying to say so that is fine. Same as Thai people learning English it is better to speak and make a mistake, than sitting there scared to speak. Most will understand you if you try.