Reminder: Buddhist Booze Ban In Effect This Weekend

snoop1130

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Thursday, July 06, 2017 at 5:38 AM, Puwa said:

It's not a particularly elegant or practical measure, but on the other hand, the country is overrun by drunks both domestic and imported, so drying a few of them out for a day or two is probably good for public health and safety.

It has already been demonstrated that anybody in the know can find alcohol so the drunks will be fine. 

Meanwhile, my angry wife (see other thread) has come back from testifying at her local temple.

You know, the Lent thingy.

And she did bring the bottle of Sang Som I asked her to bring after the testifying.

As a matter of fact, I was enjoying a hot but "sober" bath in the company of Pink Floyd - had to trade hot bath & Dark Side Of The Moon for hot bath & wife & Sang Som with coke.

Maybe that Lent thingy got her thinking?

Maybe not that bad at all, this buddha thingy?

Just now, Techno Viking said:

Interesting, Apparently hotels in BKK have been told no booze sales. I wonder why ChaingMai is different ?

It's hard to figure.  All of Soi 6 has been restricted to their original license serving booze after 6:00 only.  That's been for about 3 weeks now.  it is gradually being extended to some bars on Soi Buakao, Walking Street and others.  Of course no booze this weekend for the beginning of Buddhist Lent.  All the other bars on Soi 7, 8 and most other popular haunts are un affected.  I've had numerous conversations with friends that are bar owners about whats going on.  The real reason seems to be getting clear.  however it would be inappropriate to discuss here.  I feel sorry for the girls who are supporting their kids and families.  they are really hurting now.

The restrictions end at 6:00 but business is way down.  Everyone agrees this M.O. is different than previous restrictions.

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

It's hard to figure.  All of Soi 6 has been restricted to their original license serving booze after 6:00 only.  That's been for about 3 weeks now.  it is gradually being extended to some bars on Soi Buakao, Walking Street and others.  Of course no booze this weekend for the beginning of Buddhist Lent.  All the other bars on Soi 7, 8 and most other popular haunts are un affected.  I've had numerous conversations with friends that are bar owners about whats going on.  The real reason seems to be getting clear.  however it would be inappropriate to discuss here.  I feel sorry for the girls who are supporting their kids and families.  they are really hurting now.

The restrictions end at 6:00 but business is way down.  Everyone agrees this M.O. is different than previous restrictions.

What does licensing hours being enforced in Pattaya have to do with nationwide alcohol bans on religious days ?

Just now, Techno Viking said:

What does licensing hours being enforced in Pattaya have to do with nationwide alcohol bans on religious days ?

Not sure.  Just an additional thought/spin on new alcohol restrictions.  I don't make the news I just report it... :biggrin:

9 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Not sure.  Just an additional thought/spin on new alcohol restrictions.  I don't make the news I just report it... :biggrin:

Religious days are a given. Enforcement in Soi 6 of licensing hours............ blame that on the night wish group !!

43 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Please stop it.  It's actually embarrassing. One request take a good long look in the mirror before you judge or continue to call me names.  Please stop it, " sanctimonious,  oh so very altruistic,  selfish, self-proclaimed Buddhist" etc,etc.  Please stop calling me names.  it's childish and foolish.  Some people are simply unfortunate.  Now what did you see?

So you can dish out but can't take it? You have consistently demeaned others in this thread who disagree with you, and at one point even referring to them, rather bizarrely, as "animalistic".  How old are you? 12?

1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

So you can dish out but can't take it? You have consistently demeaned others in this thread who disagree with you, and at one point even referring to them, rather bizarrely, as "animalistic".  How old are you? 12?

I'll ask you one more time politely to stop it.  One of the mods also posted requesting to stop it. So please do.

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

Did you stop to consider for one moment that in banning restaurants/bars to generate revenue through the sale of alcoholic beverages for a quarter of every year would cause the closure of those establishments?  Did you stop to consider for one moment the effect this would have on tourism, one of Thailand's chief sources income, and which supports the livelihoods of millions of Thai people (including Buddhists) who depend on tourism to make a living, and who would be devastated by such a law?  How many hotels do think would still be able to open their doors after a couple of years of this? Either you didn't stop to consider this, or you did but don't care about the well-being of others, only your own. Your views and those of joeyg reflect just how utterly selfish you both are.  I applaud all the TV members in this thread who have stood up and responded to this utter selfish drivel.  Cheers fellas!

As far as I am concerned selling alcohol, is just as sinful (and I don't say unlawful)  as pushing illegal drugs. I am not a teetotaler either, I share a couple of bottles of wine, a month, with my beloved wife.

Just now, Momofarang said:

As far as I am concerned selling alcohol, is just as sinful (and I don't say unlawful)  as pushing illegal drugs. I am not a teetotaler either, I share a couple of bottles of wine, a month, with my beloved wife.

But as Karl said, religion is opium for the people.....

Or one step further: We (guess....) said: Marxism is opium for the intellectuals.

Those were the days.

3 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Well said... :jap:

2 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Hang on a minute. So selling alcohol is sinful, but buying a couple of bottles of wine from the sinful seller is ok?  I'm a little confused about that. 

1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

Hang on a minute. So selling alcohol is sinful, but buying a couple of bottles of wine from the sinful seller is ok?  I'm a little confused about that. 

Man, to me the distinction is obvious, you must have started at breakfast today...

8 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

The comment was aimed at you too.  Go get a hobby, or better still, a job.

Hobbie/avocation wordpress blog coaching, lead pages templates and SEO.  I'm very comfortably retired, thank God...  

3 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Huh?  He accuses the guy who sold him the wine of being a sinner but he buys the wine off the sinner and drinks it with his wife? What are you boys on?  Obviously something stronger than alcohol.

I understand what he's getting at.  However we've come to that point.Like we used to say in the old neighborhood, "See ya.  Wouldn't wanna be ya!" :mfr_closed1:

Edited by joeyg

2 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

You mean, it's a "sin" to sell alcohol but not a sin to buy it?

Yes, there is a world between getting rich destroying peoples lives, and giving in occasionally to our own weakness. In most "civilized" countries the use of illegal drugs is tolerated while trafficking is severely repressed.

1 minute ago, Momofarang said:

Yes, there is a world between getting rich destroying peoples lives, and giving in occasionally to our own weakness. In most "civilized" countries the use of illegal drugs is tolerated while trafficking is severely repressed.

You tink too mut.

1 minute ago, Momofarang said:

Where would you buy the wine you drink if no one was allowed to sell it?