Reminder: Buddhist Booze Ban In Effect This Weekend

snoop1130

The only thing to be frowned on this weekend by my Thai wife, is turning

up half cut at the wat. I enjoy going to the wat once a month, I love the

ritual and the chant and response from the monks and the villagers.

The chant can be felt on the chest, it gets so low in resonance. 

The monks love us going to the wat, my wife always makes a good meal for them, 

the abbot has commented to me on my wife and her culinary skills. 

On the way home, I will call into one of the small outlets and buy a few bottles of Leo or Chang. What is the big deal?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Nobody says you can't have a drink.  You just can't buy it at a bar or restaurant, at least not legally.  Get a grip and grow up a little.  If you wanna' drink, just buy it ahead of time and have it in your room.  The prohibition, as limited as it is, is certainly not at all absurd - they just didn't clear it with you first and that's your gripe.   You're just sulking about it because it's not about you.  It's their religious observance, the dates are easily checked on the internet, there aren't that many of them, and Thais are entitled to it.   Try not to be an ugly foreigner by trying to get a Mom & Pop to violate the law and religious tradition and sell to you.   LOTS of monkey-business going on in Thailand FAR more worthy of comment.

Agreed. The sweetest freedom is the kind that you steal. ;)

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Nobody says you can't have a drink.  You just can't buy it at a bar or restaurant, at least not legally.  Get a grip and grow up a little.  If you wanna' drink, just buy it ahead of time and have it in your room.  The prohibition, as limited as it is, is certainly not at all absurd - they just didn't clear it with you first and that's your gripe.   You're just sulking about it because it's not about you.  It's their religious observance, the dates are easily checked on the internet, there aren't that many of them, and Thais are entitled to it.   Try not to be an ugly foreigner by trying to get a Mom & Pop to violate the law and religious tradition and sell to you.   LOTS of monkey-business going on in Thailand FAR more worthy of comment.

99% agree with you. As I live here, abide by the laws and rules that Thailand imposes on me, I cannot and will not comment on the last bit of supposition in your post.

Old Norwegian style: Buy a bottle of coke at the dance, go to the toilet and shake it ( euh the bottle), cola on the walls so what, fill the now half empty bottle up with the home brew you brought hidden in a pocket of your coat, back to the dance.

I remember, the first time I went to Norway, wondering how the locals could all be out of their minds on Sprite and Fanta!

All those enjoying a drink can do so 24/7 in Cambodia, Laos and/or Burma; all those Buddhist countries never heard of Lord Buddha's suggestion to the Thais on "no booze". Just in case you care to know............ 

4 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Try not to be an ugly foreigner by trying to get a Mom & Pop to violate the law and religious tradition and sell to you.

Unless the ugly foreigner has a gun when buying alcohol on days when they're banned, the responsibility is on the shop not to sell. Not on the customer to not buy. 

All sorts buy alcohol on days when it's banned. Including Thais. If you want Thais to like you and respect you, you have to like yourself and respect yourself. Nothing turns a Thai off like a self-hating 'farang'. 

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Unless the ugly foreigner has a gun when buying alcohol on days when they're banned, the responsibility is on the shop not to sell. Not on the customer to not buy. 

All sorts buy alcohol on days when it's banned. Including Thais. If you want Thais to like you and respect you, you have to like yourself and respect yourself. Nothing turns a Thai off like a self-hating 'farang'. 

"The ugly foreigner has a gun". You are not in the Bronx

All those enjoying a drink can do so 24/7 in Cambodia, Laos and/or Burma; all those Buddhist countries never heard of Lord Buddha's suggestion to the Thais on "no booze". Just in case you care to know............ 

Seems rather dramatic to have to go to another country just to buy booze, when you could buy it the day before the ban. There is no ban on "enjoying a drink" on Buddha days.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

35 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Seems rather dramatic to have to go to another country just to buy booze, when you could buy it the day before the ban. There is no ban on "enjoying a drink" on Buddha days.

That's right. Buddha said "Yee cannot buy alcohol, but yee can drink it"

He also said something about money, material items and stealing from the poor (corruption) but seems that one's ignored. I guess he must have thought cherry picking what's morally acceptable is up to you. 

Yes My Restaurant always ask me would I like a cup of cold tea with my meal and the local Ma And Pa shop is so happy to serve me and is closer then the 7 11 and just as cheap and so much friendlier :stoner::partytime2:

For all you asking what the "big deal" is: followers of some dreamed up fairytale from the dark ages, tell everybody what they can and can not do! Goes for all BS- religions and not only for booze consumption! That's the big deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

No booze on Egyptair flights???...even on long haul internatational routes?

Indeed not - and no edible food.

But you can smoke in the toilets! (not allowed of course, but tolerated).

Here's an idea, in line with the great buddhist tradition.

Allow alcohol to be sold on any day of the year, to anyone.

But convince your fellow cult members not to drink alcohol on certain days.

A win win situation for shops, for buddhism, for tourism, and for local non sect members.

For all you asking what the "big deal" is: followers of some dreamed up fairytale from the dark ages, tell everybody what they can and can not do! Goes for all BS- religions and not only for booze consumption! That's the big deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes. Religions are an almighty pain in the rear. Not much you can do about it though. As they go, Buddhism is slightly less oppressive than some of the others.

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

If I understand correctly, Thailand will adopt the same attitude as Egypt Airlines: We can not drink, therefore you can not drink.

Luckily there will still be edible food available in Thailand, unlike on Egyptair flights.

Flew with them 2 months ago , never again 

50 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes. Religions are an almighty pain in the rear. Not much you can do about it though. As they go, Buddhism is slightly less oppressive than some of the others.

Except for the whole "women are not allowed this and that"- part....

12 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Wrong! The muslim religion bans the buying of alcohol completely.

presumably you mean consumption of alcohol.
as a side note, from people that can read and understand Arabic, I understand that the Koran does not seem to forbid consumption, but rather discourages excessive use.

6 minutes ago, KKr said:

presumably you mean consumption of alcohol.
as a side note, from people that can read and understand Arabic, I understand that the Koran does not seem to forbid consumption, but rather discourages excessive use.

When people wrote their holy books (all religions) they made up some new stuff, but mostly included already existing fairy tales and tall stories.

Often those stories conflict with other stories in the same book.

As a result one can always find a story that proves whatever one wants to prove.

I can accept that people find inspiration in those old stories, but when they start to cherry pick or take the stories literally, to serve their own ends, that is when my acceptance stops.

10 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

It's not really about whether you drink or don't, it's about being told what you can and cant do in your free time.  It's also pretty awful for a tourist coming to Thailand for a holiday to find out they cant have a glass of wine with dinner, given the money they've paid to get here.  It also hurts any business that sells alcohol, whether it be shops, bars, restaurants etc  quite badly. If I were to be told that I could not have a drink on my Thailand holiday, I would not come to Thailand for that holiday. It's absurd.

I partly agree with you.. i hate being told what I can or can't do. I don't drink (or almost not) so it does not affect me. But i doubt that many would not come to Thailand if they can't drink for a day or 2 in their holiday. That is unless your a complete alcoholic then its different. Most people do survive a day or 2 without a drink and if in holiday spirits its not to bad to lose one or 2 days out of 14 of a holiday to not drinking. 

I am against those bans out of principle.. if you need to ban people from drinking then their religious moral is just bad. People should stop drinking on those days out of their conviction.. not because of a ban.

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Right on the money - my underlaying message though is that Thailand is the only country with this ruling! 

11 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

So you recommend going on holiday and drinking in your room? Sounds like a fun holiday!  And not all Thais are Buddhist so why should they not be allowed to order a beer in restaurant/bar?  Why don't you get a grip and grow up a little?

17 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Ha Ha Ha , 555, did this memo get out to all the mom and pop stores, who could not give a flying fire ball, they are there to make money and put food on the table.

I have lived here for 12 years and any ban has never stopped them selling on banned days.

Amazing Thailand.

Make money quick, used to be a Hong Kong moto.

Yes, but the news must be in English and listed as a reminder to us pesky farang. Because if it weren't for us, drinking on such a holy holiday wouldn't be an issue.