At least 11 people infected with Zika virus in Pichit district

snoop1130

At least 11 people infected with Zika virus in Pichit district

By The Nation

fdb9c7e070479b8abd3d57da60cd8a90.jpeg

Eleven people in Phichit’s Bung Na Rang district have been confirmed as being infected with the Zika virus while another 16 are believed to have been infected and 33 people who were in close contact are being tested and monitored, officials said on Tuesday.

Dr Darin Areechokchai, an expert at the Department of Diseases Control’s Bureau of Epidemiology, said that lab test results since June 30 had confirmed 11 Zika cases in Phichit although none involved pregnant women. 

She also said that since this January, Thailand reported 81 Zika patients, four of whom were pregnant women, in 16 provinces.

Phichit Governor Wirasak Wichitsaengsri said there were also 16 suspected cases and 33 close-contact persons were being monitored, including nine pregnant women. They were being tested and results should be known soon. No patient names or details were released.

He urged the public not to be alarmed and said that Phichit was not the only area affected. “Chaiyaphum, Ubon Ratchathani and Nong Khai provinces also had Zika cases before,” he said.

He said people with flu-like or dengue fever-like symptoms (persistent fever, rash, joint and muscle pain) should see a doctor who would then get blood tests in suspicious cases.

Provincial public health office personnel and health volunteers have fumigated 667 homes in the affected areas to kill mosquitoes and surveyed to destroy mosquito larva at 422 homes, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319915

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-7-4

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

nature can be a mass killer!

It might be but Zika virus is not ! 

The virus has been linked to microcephaly (small heads) in babies but there is no conclusive evidence that Zika is the cause. 

At worse someone infected with the virus will suffer a mild flu-like illness. 

6 minutes ago, perthperson said:

It might be but Zika virus is not ! 

The virus has been linked to microcephaly (small heads) in babies but there is no conclusive evidence that Zika is the cause. 

At worse someone infected with the virus will suffer a mild flu-like illness. 

Do you doubt global warming too.   I think the preliminary evidence is quite strong indicating there is a link between zika and microcephaly.   And microcephaly has been described by doctors who know as the worse thing ever imagined. 

I had to Google LBFM.  

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's bad news for Thailand, and for those who may be affected by this virus... Presumably once it's here, it's pretty much here to stay.

Nah, didn't you read, "He urged the public not to be alarmed and said that Phichit was not the only area affected. “Chaiyaphum, Ubon Ratchathani and Nong Khai provinces also had Zika cases before,” he said."

It's affected other provinces before so we don't have to be alarmed.

1 minute ago, Elkski said:

Do you doubt global warming too.   I think the preliminary evidence is quite strong indicating there is a link between zika and microcephaly.   And microcephaly has been described by doctors who know as the worse thing ever imagined. 

I had to Google LBFM.  

I am sure that you imagine you are an "expert" on vector born disease, global warming and anything else which catches your eye in a newspaper. I will therefore not argue with you. 

The real experts who do know about Zika can be found at the CDC. Are you employed by the CDC? 

I will bite a bit but your attitude is telling me your not worth my time.   I have read  many articles scientific and otherwise about zika.  Have you?  I suggest you start here.   And please don't say the Gardian is fake news.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/08/zika-doctor-pregnant-women-obgyn-florida

Edited by Elkski

7 minutes ago, Elkski said:

And please don't say the Gardian is fake news.

Did you mean Guardian ?  If so, last time I looked, it is not and does not pretend to be a scientific publication.

The article you link to is not a "scientific" paper but it does say this "but there are still plenty of unknowns. And do complications for the fetus vary by time of infection? It is going to take time to understand all of the risks."

I will now leave this debate with you because it is pointless arguing with a self appointed "expert".

25 minutes ago, diehard60 said:

i would like to which provinces have these new cases.

Here is a map (it is not current but provides information about confirmed past outbreaks)

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/279308812_fig1_Figure-2-Map-of-Thailand-showing-locations-of-confirmed-Zika-virus-ZIKV-infections-1

You will note that the outbreaks are spread over a very wide geographical area.

As the vector for Zika is the Aedes mosquito outbreaks of Zika, theoretically, could occur wherever the mosquito(and Dengue fever) is found.

Edited by perthperson
spelling

Zeka virus is bad news, Seeing the poor babies in Brazil that had the small heads and some

serious health issues as well is very disturbing.  Even though Zika  virus does not kill it

will affect the next generation.  I hope the fogging program helps get rid of at least a lot

of the insects that spread that disease.

Geezer

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

That's the worse of the mosquito ones IMO,  staying clear of that or any can be difficult. 

Not the "worst"!  Diseases that are spread to people by mosquitoes include Zika virus, West Nile virus, Chikungunya virus, dengue, malaria and there are even more!  Open the link for detail. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/outdoor/mosquito-borne/other.html

1 hour ago, perthperson said:

Not the "worst"!  Diseases that are spread to people by mosquitoes include Zika virus, West Nile virus, Chikungunya virus, dengue, malaria and there are even more!  Open the link for detail. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/outdoor/mosquito-borne/other.html

Thanks for that scary stuff,  personally l get to think when seeing all the anti mosquito repellents in the market they would buy off anyone who found cures or someone who found how to kill all mosquito strains.

I survived,  only just Dengue fever so my conspiracy theory emerged. :laugh:

Remember Malaysia l think it was experimenting with infecting male mosquitoes and setting them free to kill off female ones.

Zika virus was only identified 70 years ago, and was little known because most people only suffer mild symptoms - and are never tested for it. It has probably been endemic in tropical asia for 50 years or more. Most of those who have caught it in Thailand have been travellers who were only diagnosed after returning home. It probably occurs all over the country, cases were not clustered in one area. I expect it only gets tested for here once one case is reported locally. The link with microcephaly seems to be specific to Brazil - not  positively identified elsewhere. 

Other than possible microcephaly, complications are rare and probably less dangerous than influenza unless you are pregnant. It only seems to become common when infecting a new area.

On ‎5‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, williamgeorgeallen said:

malaria kills a million people a year.  remember gents glove up. if we are infected we can pass it onto our LBFMs.

Not much chance of that in New Zealand.........or anywhere else. Human to human malaria transmission doesn't happen. 

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks for that scary stuff,  personally l get to think when seeing all the anti mosquito repellents in the market they would buy off anyone who found cures or someone who found how to kill all mosquito strains.

I survived,  only just Dengue fever so my conspiracy theory emerged. :laugh:

Remember Malaysia l think it was experimenting with infecting male mosquitoes and setting them free to kill off female ones.

Bring back DDT.....saved literally millions of people (not saying that is a good thing in hindsight) and only banned based on some seemingly dodgy scientific evidence about causing soft shell syndrome in an eagle (Bald American eagle if memory serves me correctly).

I remember my mum putting pure liquid DDT on a mozzie bite when I was a kid.

7 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

yea seems africa bears most of the malaria deaths. was talking about zika being transmitted from men to woman, not malaria.

The transmission can be in either direction but theoretically of greater risk to a sexually active woman of child bearing age.