Govt Backtracks Over Weak Basis For Threatening Facebook, Again

snoop1130

Govt Backtracks Over Weak Basis For Threatening Facebook, Again

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

rsz_19264563_1373313886057360_5683148022677566016_o-696x464.jpg

Vice President of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission Nathee Sukonrat, also a chairman of the committee on OTT media regulation, calls online video platforms to register with them or risk being declared illegal on June 27 at its headquarters in Bangkok. Photo: NBTC

BANGKOK — Telecommunications regulators said Wednesday they decided to drop a registration deadline given to top foreign online platforms after finding flaws in their own enforcement.

Not only has the July 22 deadline set for YouTube, Facebook and Netflix been dropped, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, or NBTC, said the program – already joined by 11 online platforms – would be voided for being based on a weak legal basis which could potentially lead to litigation against them.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/07/05/govt-backtracks-weak-basis-threatening-facebook/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-7-5

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Take a good look at the man in the photo. He certainly doesn't think this is comical.:smile:

Thai's have perfected the art of the 'straight man'.

They could easily look you straight in the eye and tell you that any mosquitos still in Thailand must register with their local government and sign up for the extermination program.

banning facebook would be a bad move because they have a tor site especially for politically persecuted people which would really mess with the government. of course you wouldnt want to post your selfies on it but you could say what anything you want about the government and post any videos you wanted

for gods sake, stop this control nonsense, people have a right to free speech and to be able to express themselves  - if you are a target then you need to ask yourself why, yes there are limits to what should be allowed by people with sinister motives but the general population are just voicing opinions - if you don't like it then get out of the public eye

You cannot silence 7 billion people that live on this planet..........you cannot silence the 70 million that live in Thailand - you cannot silence anyone...................be seen to be doing the right thing and nobody will have much to say about it.  

NBTC puts the brakes on order to require OTT registration
By The Nation

d75715651fd372e4fafe31b252ee2d1e.jpeg

THE TELECOM and broadcasting regulator has put on hold its order that required “over-the-top” (OTT) online media providers to register, fearing legal action.

The board of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunica-tion Commission (NBTC) yesterday decided that its subcommittee |on OTT would draft new rules on OTT within 30 days, NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith said after the board’s meeting.

He said the NBTC would require registration for OTT providers again once the new rules come into effective.

With the annulment of the pre-vious order by the NBTC’s broadcasting subcommittee, the July 22 deadline for OTT platforms such as Facebook, YouTube and Netflix to register with the regulator no longer applies, according to Takorn.

The OTT rules are expected to become law in the next 90 days. 

Following the NBTC’s working process – after the OTT sub-panel finishes drawing up the OTT rules within 30 days for the NBTC board’s consideration – it will put the draft up for public hearings, to be completed in 60 days. Then the NBTC board will convene to approve the final draft and have it published in the Royal Gazette. 

OTT refers to the delivery of content, such as films and TV programmes over the Internet, either free or for a charge, bypassing traditional distribution.

The NBTC board resolution states that OTT operators must operate under Thai law, including the broadcasting law, which empowers the NBTC to regulate the broadcasting and telecom sectors. It is the NBTC’s duty to prescribe rules to regulate it. 

Detrimental to Thailand

The NBTC process in drawing the rules up must be made in compliance with the related legal process or it will be criticised in the future. As per its rule development process, the NBTC has to allow public hearings of the draft rules and analyse its impact on the public, especially the impact on the economy and the country’s revenue.

Last week the Asia Internet Coalition (AIC) wrote a letter to the NBTC, warning that the commission’s move to regulate OTT business could be detrimental to Thailand, stoke business uncertainty, slow economic growth and dampen investment in the country’s growing digital industry. 

The AIC said it welcomed constructive engagement with Thai authorities on the regulations. However, the commission has not made any of its draft regulations public. 

The AIC is an industry association promoting understanding and resolutions on Internet policy issues in the Asia-Pacific region, with tech giants like Facebook, Google, Twitter and Yahoo among its members.

The sub-panel called on major OTT network platforms to register with it for the first time on June 22 as part of its attempt to regulateOTT providers. Once registered, they would have been immediately permitted to operate their business under the broadcasting law. 

On that day the sub-panel set the first OTT group a July 22 deadline to register with the NBTC or face the risk of hindered business operations. 

On June 22, YouTube, Facebook and Netflix failed to register with the NBTC, though Netflix informed the panel that it would meet with it on the matter early in July.

The sub-panel said that if the July 22 deadline were ignored, the NBTC would inform the embassies of the countries involved that these OTT platforms had failed to comply with the relevant law.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30320010

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-06

I worked in Europe years ago and a radio station, radio Caroline used to broadcast from a boat some where on the sea, free music , free expression, always hunted by the authorities, 

is this where Thailand is pushing people to, illegal sites and  broadcasts,

repeal this nonsense.

I worked in Europe years ago and a radio station, radio Caroline used to broadcast from a boat some where on the sea, free music , free expression, always hunted by the authorities, 
repeal this nonsense.

Now Thers a Good Idea. Loony Left FM . Pimples n Coblers . FM. , save em posting here.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sounds like eventually they will have an all encompassing law where any thing like a video cannot be shared on line without one first obtaining a licence. Not good to my mind.

13 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Thai's have perfected the art of the 'straight man'.

They could easily look you straight in the eye and tell you that any mosquitos still in Thailand must register with their local government and sign up for the extermination program.

On the other hand someone told me that you can always see when they are lying.

9 minutes ago, hansnl said:

On the other hand someone told me that you can always see when they are lying.

Let me guess - lips move?

The art of lying is different to the art of the straight man. The straight man can look you in the eye without grinning and tell ridiculous jokes - there's no laugh or smile.

A liar simply needs to be able to believe what they say - and I'm convinced Thai's can't tell the difference between what's real and what they're supposed to believe... I'm sure they can easily pass any lie detector test. The fact that someone in power said it makes it true.

My ex girlfriend once told me 'they can't do wrong because they're police' when I got angry and asked her how I can be wrong riding my bike middle lane when a police bike just overtook us on the right hand lane along Ramkhamheang... She was 100% adamant that the rule the policeman told her was 100% correct (though if he hadn't stopped me she would never have noticed or mentioned it).

Truth can be created on the spot.

Edited by ben2talk

11 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Stay away from the big boys and concern yourself more with mushroom pickers and students on trains. 

Who do Thai people love more - Youtube and Facebook or the government? 

Which one "Brings more happiness to the People"?

FB & YT or the junta?

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

repeal this nonsense.

Actually Radio Caroline was about pirate music - it started in 1964 and you can still get it now via internet... though it has a licence now.

Facebook is all about creating a social network that's also the main internet portal - and owning all content posted on internet - hardly anything free about it.

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yeah bring it on. shut facebook down. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Facebook Is Now More Valuable Than Exxon | Fortune.com

fortune.com/2016/02/01/facebook-value-exxon/
Feb 1, 2016 - The social network's worth has skyrocketed in the five days since it delivered a blockbuster earnings report that revealed a 51.7% jump in ...

Just wait until China allow Facebook in their country. Facebook will explode.

Being internet based, they can be accessed anywhere in the world, so why register?  What exactly are they registering?  Try to block it and people will simply use VPN to access the content anyway.  The government can't stop it and they can't control people.