Seven Bombs Go Off In Bangkok - New Year Countdown Cancelled

george

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seven Bombs Rock Bangkok, Kill two

BANGKOK: -- Seven explosives went off almost simultaneously in Bangkok, injuring at least 20 people as the revellers were about to start celebrating the New Year's eve.

Two people were killed and 20 injured at the Victory Monument when a powerful bomb went off near a bus station at about 6.30 pm.

One person was dead near the Big C supermarket, Sapan Kwai branch, where witness saw a man dropped a grenade from a pedestrian bridge just over the police box.

At the Klong Toei area near the Na Ranong intersection, around the same time, a bomb hidden in a trash can near a Chinese spirit shrine exploded and injured two bypassers. The explosion caused a secondary explosion to a number of cookinggas cylinders that were situated nearby.

At the Seacon Square Shopping Mall, a loud explosion went off at the parking space, creating a panic but no injury.

Authorities ordered all shoppers to evacuate the mall, one of Bangkok largest, and all shops to close down for business.

Deputy Governor of Bangkok, Wallop Suwandee, announced that all the events designated for the New Year's even countdown celebration have been cancelled.

Government's spokesman Yongyuth Malyalarp urged the public to remain calm, adding that police officers have been instructed to stay on high alert, including areas where high concentration of people are expected to take part in the New Year's count down.

"Police reinforcement have been sent to various areas in the city. We urged the public to remain calm, continue with the celebration but at the same time keep a look out for any irregularities," Yongyuth said.

Another police box was hit near the Khae Rai intersection in Nonthaburi province just north of Bangkok with a bomb but not injury reported said Police spokesman Pol General Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj said.

Another bomb went off in the compound of the Tesco Lotus Supermarket at the Prachachuen branch.

-- The Nation 2006-12-31

Series of Bombs Kill Several People in Bangkok

Explosives went off almost simultaneously in several places accross Bangkok at around 18:00 local time, injuring at least 20 people as the Thai capital had just started celebrating New Year's eve.

At 19.30 on Sunday evening local time in Bangkok, bombs exploded in several places acccross the Thai capital killing several people and injuring many more.

There is no doubt of the bombs and the coordinated attack, with the first exploding 17:47, but the number of bombs and the size of the damage may be wrongly reported by the sources used for the follwing report:

Bombs have reported exploded in the following locations:

Victory Monument near a bus station outside the Dok Yai bookstore

Saphan Kwai near the Big C supermarket

Seacon Square, in the car park

Klong Toey, at the fresh market

Khai Rai crossing

Sukhumvit Soi 62, the Ekamai interserction

At the Sapan Kwai incident, a witness saw a man dropped a grenade from a pedestrian bridge just over the police box.

Toei area near the Na Ranong intersection, a bomb hidden in a trash can near a Chinese spirit shrine exploded and injured two bypassers. The explosion caused a secondary explosion to a number of cookinggas cylinders that were situated nearby.

At the Seacon Square Shopping Mall, a loud explosion went off at the parking space, creating a panic but no injury. Authorities ordered all shoppers to evacuate the mall, one of Bangkok largest, and all shops to close down for business

Government's spokesman Yongyuth Malyalarp urged the public to remain calm, adding that police officers have been instructed to stay on high alert, including areas where high concentration of people are expected to take part in the New Year's count down.

"Police reinforcement have been sent to various areas in the city. We urged the public to remain calm, continue with the celebration but at the same time keep a look out for any irregularities," Yongyuth said.

Another police box was hit with a bomb but not injury reported, said Police spokesman Pol General Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj said.

--scandasia.com 2006-12-31

quite odd if this was a muslim incident that the ksr area was not targeted. one, it has so many people. two it has throngs of isrealis. next, i find it curious that there does not appear to be any bombing in the south. third, it is further curious that a few months back taksin buddy was found w/ a 'bomb' on his way to ??? taksins house (or so taksin would like you to believe). finally, like bush&co this could be an excuse for junta to cling to power AND make it more palatable for financial markets to swallow.

i hope the authorities have enogh balls and intelligence to shake this out.

Who Ever they are, what ever their twisted motive... They WIN if we let them control us through fear... They WIN if we let them stop us from celebrating the new year. It's not easy, and it's certainly scary, but we can't let them gain control.

:o:D :D

Deputy Governor of Bangkok, Wallop Suwandee, announced that all the events designated for the New Year's even countdown celebration have been cancelled.

On the face of it, this appears to have been the aim.

Thankfully not too many have died, it could have been a lot worse, if the bombs had been placed in more strategic positions or at a time when more people had been present

From what I have heard Central World (old World Trade) has decided to close - it has not been bombed.

Channel 11 News just said that SOME New Year celebration events will be canceled but said that Central World Celebrations will continue.

Edited by jambla

quite odd if this was a muslim incident that the ksr area was not targeted. one, it has so many people. two it has throngs of isrealis. next, i find it curious that there does not appear to be any bombing in the south. third, it is further curious that a few months back taksin buddy was found w/ a 'bomb' on his way to ??? taksins house (or so taksin would like you to believe). finally, like bush&co this could be an excuse for junta to cling to power AND make it more palatable for financial markets to swallow.

i hope the authorities have enogh balls and intelligence to shake this out.

I got the same idea. Specials were deployed but it was not real threat. Now (after the deployment) there is threat. Also, wich responsible government will willingly step down while civilians are killed? Who think at that time (emphazing 'that time' as it can be wrong in some month) the Junta will be ready to step down?

My wife is stunned that I predicted this over a year ago. I figured it would be the Muslim insurgents because they were not getting the attention from the international media and Bangkok middle class they wanted from the attacks in the Deep South. However since the coup Thaksin supporters could be taking advantage while Sonthi is in Saudi. I'm sure the Thai police will catch some perpetrators soon whether they were involved or not. A sad day for Thailand our prayers go out to the innocents.

SMS from BangkokPost news service:

Police advise people in Bangkok to stay home after at least six bombs exploded in Bangkok, killing one people (sic) and injuring dozens of people.

We were going to go down to the night bazzar at Suan Lum but we're now in 2 minds.

Sad stuff.

The reflexive Muslim-bashing in this thread is truly distasteful.

The identities of the perpetrators of these acts and their motives have not yet been established.

If I didn't also consider punditry distateful in circumstances

like this I would suggest looking north rather than south for

culprits but I do so I won't.

:o

Who Ever they are, what ever their twisted motive... They WIN if we let them control us through fear... They WIN if we let them stop us from celebrating the new year. It's not easy, and it's certainly scary, but we can't let them gain control.

If the fear is irrational, I certainly agree. The probability of another incident is too high tonight for anyone to go out.

Stay home folks!