Possible set up attempt, land entry on Retirement Visa

I have a one year extended retirement visa and multi entry permit. For reasons I won't get into here   about every six months I need to just cross the land border into Malaysia for the afternoon and then return which I've done numerous times.

After waiting in line for 20 minutes for the outside counter, without even having my passport opened I  was instructed  to go inside  to the  brand new  counters, where I was then was directed to a supervisor's office.

Mr Supervisor  gave me grief about  numerous same day in and out " Visa runs.."  and wanted to see 20,000 THB  which I did not have, never having been asked to show it. 

I did have my Thai bank book with considerably more money in it than 20,000 but  last update was 5 day prior. 

I was told to  " Go  town  to bank update  book you get stamp when come back ..." 

I refused and made it clear to  enter Thailand without a stamp  would be extremely  illegal  and I was suspicious  he would even ask me to do such a thing-  I was sure I did not need to show any money and I could go across the border as much as I needed to with the re entry permit.  He copied my passport...  I took out my phone  and asked for the phone number to headquarters " I'm sure I don't have to show any money on a retirement visa , let's ask.." 

" OK  never mind.  I let  pass this time."  

I got the stamp BUT he wrote in the wrong must exit by date- which I pointed out. So he scratched it out and stamped  in the correct date as the retirement extension shows.

I think Monday  I will call just to check what is the system.  Ugh...not a pleasant experience and has me rethinking the upcoming visa extension renewal. 

Edited by PhuketSarah
  • Like 1

There is a requirement to show 20k (in any currency) when entering, it's rare to get asked at airports but the land borders seem to be asking more often now.

I wonder if he was angling for some "lubrication".

Just make sure you have the cash next time (guaranteed they won't ask of course).

Just now, glegolo said:

Excuse me, but these 20.000 baht you are talking about Crossy isn´t that for Tourist-VISA??? We are here talking about extension of stay based on retirement and the guy/lady has already been approved to stay for a year in Thailand, so this is certainly a scam of some sort.

Glegolo

Nope, AFAIK it's actually for any entry visa or no visa. I'm sure @ubonjoe will be along to confirm sometime soon.

1 minute ago, PhuketSarah said:

And what about the " Visa run"  Is there really a requirement to stay over night  when leaving the country on a one year extended visa? 

Nope, that's definitely not a requirement.

1 minute ago, glegolo said:

Excuse me, but these 20.000 baht you are talking about Crossy isn´t that for Tourist-VISA??? We are here talking about extension of stay based on retirement and the guy/lady has already been approved to stay for a year in Thailand, so this is certainly a scam of some sort.

Glegolo

That was my understanding, too  I have one year extension based on retirement  and multi entry permit- I have already fulfilled the income requirements 

That was my understanding, too  I have one year extension based on retirement  and multi entry permit- I have already fulfilled the income requirements 

Yes you have, I am a firm believer that Crossy is in fault here..

Glegolo

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Nope, AFAIK it's actually for any entry visa or no visa. I'm sure @ubonjoe will be along to confirm sometime soon.

As far as I am aware the 20k baht should not be required with a re-entry permit for an extension of stay. The 20k baht is meant to be only for those coming for short stays in the country.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I am aware the 20k baht should not be required with a re-entry permit for an extension of stay. The 20k baht is meant to be only for those coming for short stays in the country.

Thanks Joe, I'm no expert on these things but I found this, see post 6, the relevant bit of the sign is item 2 of the lower notice.

There does seem to be something odd going on mind.

7 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

And what about the " Visa run"  Is there really a requirement to stay over night  when leaving the country on a one year extended visa? 

That is something that some crossings on the Malaysian border say and want. It is not really correct. Doing it might save you some grief in the future.

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Which land border was it (Joe will likely ask)?

Well not sure I should say as I am dissing  a supervisor. I forgot to add as I first resisted a phone call was made and a Mr- Mr Supervisor arrived with severely soured looked face. A  few words from the first Mr Supervisor turned it  into smiley and complimenting me on how young I looked - which is really a bit of a stretch. 

Edited by PhuketSarah

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Thanks Joe, I'm no expert on these things but I found this, see post 6, the relevant bit of the sign is item 2 of the lower notice.

There does seem to be something odd going on mind.

That's 8 years old 

That's 8 years old 

OK, but since you appear to have been allowed entry, put it down to experience. Entirely Up2U what you do next time.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It says tourist and non immigrant visas. In reality a re-entry permit for an extension of stay is not a new non immgrant visa entry.

I don't recall a report of anybody being asked for the 20k that had one.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It says tourist and non immigrant visas. In reality a re-entry permit for an extension of stay is not a new non immgrant visa entry.

I don't recall a report of anybody being asked for the 20k that had one.

Indeed, neither do I directly, I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, PhuketSarah said:

Just want to warn folks, stand your ground and don't be manipulated into  doing something like entering the country illegally. I have strong suspicions  that would have been a costly endeavor. 

Possibly someone waiting for you near the bank and asking to check your passport.

No stamp but plenty of sudden problems.

Just want to warn folks, stand your ground and don't be manipulated into  doing something like entering the country illegally. I have strong suspicions  that would have been a costly endeavor. 

Thank you so much. A wake up call in more than one way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

From the described actions of the first IO he may simply have been clueless. He seems not to have comprehended that you live, legally,  in Thailand on annual extensions of stay for retirement. Hence even when told to let you in, initially stamped wrong date (my guess is a 14 day date? As he seems to have thought you were entering as a tourist visa exempt).. Possibly not many people in that category enter at that checkpoint?

If you can speak Thai, maybe practice saying in Thai : I am retired and live in Thailand, I have one year extension of stay, I am not a tourist" or something of that sort for next time.

20K definitely not needed, after all to get the extension of stay you already met some financial requirements.

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

From the described actions of the first IO he may simply have been clueless. He seems not to have comprehended that you live, legally,  in Thailand on annual extensions of stay for retirement. Hence even when told to let you in, initially stamped wrong date (my guess is a 14 day date? As he seems to have thought you were entering as a tourist visa exempt).. Possibly not many people in that category enter at that checkpoint?

If you can speak Thai, maybe practice saying in Thai : I am retired and live in Thailand, I have one year extension of stay, I am not a tourist" or something of that sort for next time.

20K definitely not needed, after all to get the extension of stay you already met some financial requirements.

He spoke English fine, I showed him my visa, and the re  entry0 he was hustling me.  I intended to make a complaint, reading about the Malaysian tea money being stopped. Spent the better part of an hour trying to reach someone in Immigration Bangkok- people not speaking English at immigration- just hang up on you. 

On 7/8/2017 at 4:49 PM, overherebc said:

Possibly someone waiting for you near the bank and asking to check your passport.

No stamp but plenty of sudden problems.

Absolutely, that was the plan, I have no doubt. I suppose it's really all about not having 200 baht in my passport- guess I can have my principles- and  my harassment.

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

From the described actions of the first IO he may simply have been clueless. He seems not to have comprehended that you live, legally,  in Thailand on annual extensions of stay for retirement. Hence even when told to let you in, initially stamped wrong date (my guess is a 14 day date? As he seems to have thought you were entering as a tourist visa exempt)..

Or she could have confused the IO.

15 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

He spoke English fine, I showed him my visa, and the re  entry0 he was hustling me.

Saying you have and showing an (expired) Visa  to an IO could confuse him, hence he was issuing a Visa exempt entry and requiring proof of funds.

Granted the IO should have gone through her passport to establish she was on an extension (not a Visa) with a re-entry permit, but I've witnessed before where the IO takes the word of the foreigner, who uses incorrect terminology and confusion ensues.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Or she could have confused the IO.

Saying you have and showing an (expired) Visa  to an IO could confuse him, hence he was issuing a Visa exempt entry and requiring proof of funds.

Granted the IO should have gone through her passport to establish she was on an extension (not a Visa) with a re-entry permit, but I've witnessed before where the IO takes the word of the foreigner, who uses incorrect terminology and confusion ensues.

If she insisted that she had a "retirement visa", something which does not exist,  why would an IO waste time searching for it?

I cannot help but believe the OP contributed to her own problem.

• Like 2