Almost got into an accident today at Rama III

sitti

We almost got into an accident today that Rama III, please see the video. Btw, I muted the last half of video because I was the one driving and saying some offensive things in English which might not be so appropriate in Thailand.

Yup, see a lot of those snap decisions to cross 3 lanes, no forward thinking at all !!
Taxis and mini vans seem to think that they can go where they want when they want !!

Glad to see you were keeping your distance and avoided any damage.

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Taxis and mini vans seem to think that they can go where they want when they want !!

Well nobody will stop them doing it so why not?

He had a puncture or break failure i guess...or just his moment of thainess.

Did anybody horn to him? Or were they too scared for that as well?

While Thai's seem to excel at driving in the wrong lane and changing at the last minute a lot of the blame lies with the road planners(?) who fail to provide adequate warning for junctions and in many cases make exits and entrances to main roads so small that they are dangerous to use even when you know where they are.

I don't think the truck had anywhere else to go?

The truck driver looked more shook up than you.

I don't see his post on here but then he is probably not bashing Thai driving.

Edited by VocalNeal

It's hard to tell from this video but that truck driver was coming down the bridge really fast and aggressively. Very Obvious that he too attempted to enter BRT lane like that taxi, which you are not allowed to do so. If he had not done any of these and drive normally, he wouldn't have had put himself and the others in danger, and nearly hit my car with my family in it.

I forgot to mentioned the brake noise wasn't coming from us. It was from that truck.

I'm not bashing Thai driving. I posted this video because this is the very first I personally experienced it since I came to Thailand. I just want others to be careful and be aware of this kind of stupid drivers. I drive everyday and I know there are plenty of good Thai drivers on the road. Just there are always some idiots...

Edited by sitti

And what were you doing on the offside lane when the middle and nearside lanes were empty.  Forcing drivers to break the law by overtaking you on the inside.

You've been in Thailand too long!!!

4 minutes ago, HHTel said:

And what were you doing on the offside lane when the middle and nearside lanes were empty.  Forcing drivers to break the law by overtaking you on the inside.

Wrong....:coffee1:

2 hours ago, DinoSabanovic said:
Notice how he went casually wrong way! 

Seeing the trucks positioned for a U-turn and one vehicle coming from the opposite direction already in a U-turn the Cam Car had plenty of time to anticipate that others would follow and slow down accordingly.

Seeing others in the oncoming lane waiting for a chance to u-turn it would have been polite to stop and let the oncoming line clear.

:smile:

15 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, see a lot of those snap decisions to cross 3 lanes, no forward thinking at all !!

Glad to see you were keeping your distance and avoided any damage.

2 hours ago, sitti said:

It's hard to tell from this video but that truck driver was coming down the bridge really fast and aggressively. Very Obvious that he too attempted to enter BRT lane like that taxi, which you are not allowed to do so. If he had not done any of these and drive normally, he wouldn't have had put himself and the others in danger, and nearly hit my car with my family in it.

I forgot to mentioned the brake noise wasn't coming from us. It was from that truck.

I'm not bashing Thai driving. I posted this video because this is the very first I personally experienced it since I came to Thailand. I just want others to be careful and be aware of this kind of stupid drivers. I drive everyday and I know there are plenty of good Thai drivers on the road. Just there are always some idiots...

why did you drive on the right lane, enough room on the left lane. if you did so  the pick-up did not have to overtake you on the left lane.

you behave same thai drivers do so dont blame someone.

Seeing the trucks positioned for a U-turn and one vehicle coming from the opposite direction already in a U-turn the Cam Car had plenty of time to anticipate that others would follow and slow down accordingly.

Seeing others in the oncoming lane waiting for a chance to u-turn it would have been polite to stop and let the oncoming line clear.

Yes but you risk being rear-ended by fast cars behind you.

Some of these U turning drivers are so Gung Ho you can't be sure they will wait - especially the bus drivers. 

Extreme caution is the only way.

Pull further to the left so that following drivers can decide if overtaking at this point is appropriate or not.

Damn U turns like this need closing - just accidents waiting to happen.

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Their driving is probably the worst in the World.

Compared to where, exactly? 

Indonesia

Russia

China

Cambodia

Pakistan

Brunei

As I said...

Edited by VocalNeal

3 hours ago, transam said:
3 hours ago, HHTel said:

Wrong....:coffee1:

Undertaking is permissible on roads with more than two lanes. However, according to the Thai highway code lorries, buses, and pick up trucks should not be in the right hand lane unless turning right.

It nearly always takes at least two idiots to create an accident... 

In this case a complete twit of a taxi driver who at the last second and without any consideration to anyone else decides to use the BRT (Bus) lane - Why? because he's likely to get away with it. 

Also another driver in a truck, clearly going too fast, clearly of the belief that he too is the rightful user of the BRT (Bus) lane - Why? because he's likely to get away with it. 

Just two total self centered and selfish morons making the roads dangerous for everyone else around them... and they get away with it because the law enforcement is so consistently lazy, slack, careless and ultimately ineffective. 

With that said: decent reactions of the truck to avoid the taxi, however, he very nearly took out the Camera car which could have then spun or hit another car, motorcycle etc with more serious consequences. 

This time - a lucky escape. Always assume everyone else on the road around you is an idiot who can do any at any time, expect the expected, predict the unpredictable... but sometimes idiots on the road will excel themselves and even expecting the unexpected can't help... 

9 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Their driving is probably the worst in the World.

Now is that 'bashing' or simply stating facts?

You would need to remove the word "probably" to be "simply stating facts".

Can we have a link to the study which backs up your assertion that Thais are the worst drivers in the world?

Edited by onthesoi

10 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Can we have a link to the study which backs up your assertion that Thais are the worst drivers in the world?

If not then pretty close....:stoner:

On 7/9/2017 at 10:38 AM, gmac said:

While Thai's seem to excel at driving in the wrong lane and changing at the last minute a lot of the blame lies with the road planners(?) who fail to provide adequate warning for junctions and in many cases make exits and entrances to main roads so small that they are dangerous to use even when you know where they are.

WOW YES! I agree.  In Phuket the lane markings or lack of them literally cause cars to run into each other.  Combine that with generally poor drivers and the outcome can only be one thing.  Another thing I see is visibility encroachment from shop owners near intersections.  I have to pull my truck 50% into the roadway to see around a sausage vendor and a laundry shop sign onto Chaofah West which anyone will tell you is like the autobahn.  The obstructions block the view of oncoming motorists until they are 5 meters from me.  Insanely dangerous.

14 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Look up the UN statements, saying that Thailand has the 2nd to worse road accident statistics in the world ( Libya comes first ). Could Thailand be in 1st place, if the Thai authorities, were to include those who died, in hospital, instead of restricting their numbers to include only those who actually die at the scene of the accident.