Trump says may take a while for U.S., China to deal with North Korea

rooster59

Trump says may take a while for U.S., China to deal with North Korea

By Jeff Mason

640x640 (5).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (R) meet on the sidelines of the G20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany, July 8, 2017. REUTERS/Saul Loeb, Pool

HAMBURG (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday said it may take time to rein in North Korea's nuclear ambitions, but expressed confidence that Washington and Beijing could eventually do so.

Chinese President Xi Jinping hosted Trump for a meeting just after the G20 summit concluded. Trump has urged Xi to use China's economic leverage to pressure Pyongyang.

While Trump has expressed some impatience on the issue after North Korea's latest missile test, he showed no signs of it on Saturday.

"I appreciate the things that you have done relative to the very substantial problem that we all face in North Korea, a problem that something has to be done about," Trump told Xi.

"It may take longer than I'd like, it may take longer than you'd like," Trump said. "But there will be success in the end one way or the other."

Pyongyang last week launched an intercontinental ballistic missile that some experts believe could have the range to reach Alaska, Hawaii and perhaps the U.S. Pacific Northwest. North Korea said it could carry a large nuclear warhead.

Trump campaigned on cracking down on China for its trade practices, but he softened his tone after taking office, saying he wanted to work with China on the nuclear issue.

Trump hosted Xi at his Florida resort in April for a summit, and the leaders agreed to try to quickly ease some trade irritants within 100 days. He told Xi on Saturday that it was an "honor to have gotten to know you" and said the two leaders had "developed a wonderful relationship."

Translation for Xi's remarks was not immediately available.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-09

I'd like to say, 'what does it matter what Trump says?' He could say he has two feet with five toes on each foot, and it would be questionable.  The man has zero credibility.  There are several issues which he has a solo opinion about - which not one other person on the planet concurs. 

Unfortunately, he's in a power position where everything he proclaims must be taken seriously.  An American man who knows Trump very well, and who is not shy about voicing his opinions, is David Cay Johnston.  I recommend to anyone, if they want to know the 'inner Trump', listen to any one of his interviews and/or check out his books.  

Trump's statement will in all likelihood be contradicted next week when he announces plans to invade NK.

The US should be listening to SK. SK are the ones with their heads in the noose, as NK can fire at will on Seoul, and something ugly will get through. The US, in contrast, face no risk at all of any nuke, from NK or elsewhere landing on their soil (unless it is one of their own fired in error of course....friendly fire I think is the euphemism).

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"I appreciate the things that you have done relative to the very substantial problem that we all face in North Korea, a problem that something has to be done about,"

President Trump warned of “some pretty severe things” in response to North Korea’s test this week of a long-range missile ... They are behaving in a very, very serious manner, and something will have to be done about it.” July 6, 2017 https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2017/07/trump-north-korea/532755/

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Trump has urged Xi to use China's economic leverage to pressure Pyongyang.

So very, very serious!

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

President Trump warned of “some pretty severe things” in response to North Korea’s test this week of a long-range missile ... They are behaving in a very, very serious manner, and something will have to be done about it.” July 6, 2017 https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2017/07/trump-north-korea/532755/

So very, very serious!

There's a Joker quote itching to be aired....

16 hours ago, retarius said:

Trump's statement will in all likelihood be contradicted next week when he announces plans to invade NK.

The US should be listening to SK. SK are the ones with their heads in the noose, as NK can fire at will on Seoul, and something ugly will get through. The US, in contrast, face no risk at all of any nuke, from NK or elsewhere landing on their soil (unless it is one of their own fired in error of course....friendly fire I think is the euphemism).

Thats where you are wrong, he won't announce it............the rest I agree with, a Chemical/Biological attack on Seoul will kill  a million people.