Retirement visa

Can anyone advise me is this major issue?
I've had a retirement visa just over 2yrs on multi entry, however during this trip to the UK on business I've now noticed that my retirement visa has just expired few days ago and now in in England - what to do??
Do I need to go to Thai embassy in UK?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Do you mean you had an extension of stay with a multiple re-entry permit (both obtained from a Thai immigration office)  Or do you mean you had an O-A visa ?  

Whatever you had if it has expired you will have to start again with a new visa. 

Depending on what visa you want it can be obtained from the Embassy or one of the Honorary Consulates.

• Like 1

You will probably need to obtain a non-OA visa from the Embassy - or, alternatively, a non-O visa if you are in receipt of the State Pension (although you will need to obtain a fresh letter from the DWP as proof of this this if your most recent one is still languishing in some drawer out here).

Alternatively you could obtain a single-entry tourist visa and convert this to a non-O at your local immigration office once back in Thailand. But under no circumstances should you plan on the basis of having your passport stamped for the standard 30 days upon arrival back in Thailand prior to the non-O conversion since you will almost certainly be denied permission to board your return flight at check-in, in the absence of an onward flight ticket ticket out of Thailand within this period.

You will probably need to obtain a non-OA visa from the Embassy - or, alternatively, a non-O visa if you are in receipt of the State Pension (although you will need to obtain a fresh letter from the DWP as proof of this this if your most recent one is still languishing in some drawer out here).

Alternatively you could obtain a single-entry tourist visa and convert this to a non-O at your local immigration office once back in Thailand. But under no circumstances should you plan on the basis of having your passport stamped for the standard 30 days upon arrival back in Thailand prior to the non-O conversion since you will almost certainly be denied permission to board your return flight at check-in, in the absence of an onward flight ticket ticket out of Thailand within this period.

Hi , i have a non-O retirement visa , was valid 1yr multi entry, I was in U.K. Longer than expected and just noticed it expired on 6th July (3days ago)

I have the required money in a thai bank to meet the Thai visa requirements..

Could I get a new retirement none-o visa issued in England?

3 hours ago, flyingfox1 said:

Hi , i have a non-O retirement visa , was valid 1yr multi entry, I was in U.K. Longer than expected and just noticed it expired on 6th July (3days ago)

yes, either at the embassy or a consulate if single entry is required

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyingfox1 said:

If you are over 65 and in receipt of a State retirement(old age) pension you can apply for a ME "O" visa based on retirement at the Embassy. 

If the above does not apply you have the choice of a SE or ME tourist visa. If it is a "retirement" visa you want then you should apply for an O-A visa.

8 hours ago, flyingfox1 said:

Are you married to a Thai national? If you are that might provide an alternative route to retirement for a fresh non-O.

i am also going to the UK  in September and my extension of stay based on retirement expires in October as I will likely outstay

that date. I was going to get another none imm-o and convert it to another extension of stay based on retirement. but I am a bit

confused as members are stating cases where retirement visa's are on offer in the UK.

have I missed something or is it still first get a new none imm-o UK and then get an extension of stay due to retirement .Thailand.

could somebody please confirm?

QUOTES.

"   Could I get a new retirement none-o visa issued in England? "
" If you are over 65 and in receipt of a State retirement(old age) pension you can apply for a ME "O" visa based on retirement at the Embassy"

Thanks in advance.

Edited by zoza

The normal process would be to obtain O visa and then extend when in Thailand as you had done previously.

The alternative, which can be good for new travelers, is to obtain non immigrant O-A Long Stay visa from Embassy with medical/police reports and proof of financials to meet extension requirements (which can be in UK for this visa).  The multi entry one year visa provides one year stay from any entry during the one year validity (which means it can provide almost two years stay if new entry made just before visa expires).

Note:  this in reply to post 8

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The multi entry one year visa provides one year stay from any entry during the one year validity (which means it can provide almost two years stay if new entry made just before visa expires)

ONLY true for the O-A visa.

The absolute max that can be obtained from a ME O visa (90 days permission to stay) is <> 15 months. 

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

ONLY true for the O-A visa.

The absolute max that can be obtained from a ME O visa (90 days permission to stay) is <> 15 months. 

I posted that quote in a paragraph concerning O-A visa so did not believe had to repeat what was in first sentence.  Sorry.

11 hours ago, flyingfox1 said:

Flyingfox1 you do not have a retirement VISA because there is no such thing, you either have a

long term O-A visa which will allow you the privilege, during the term of the visa, to apply for an

extension of your permission to stay on the grounds of retirement, or you already have an extension

of your permission to stay on the grounds of retirement, it is not a VISA. This is often called a

retirement extension not a retirement visa. If either have lapsed or expired you will have to start

the whole procedure all over again.

If your current permission to stay was originally based on a non "O" 90 day then it expired long ago

but your extension can be renewed annually, if you remember to do it.

Edited by phuketjock
addition
  • Like 1

Flyingfox1 you do not have a retirement VISA because there is no such thing, you either have a
long term O-A visa which will allow you the privilege, during the term of the visa, to apply for an
extension of your permission to stay on the grounds of retirement, or you already have an extension
of your permission to stay on the grounds of retirement, it is not a VISA. This is often called a
retirement extension not a retirement visa. If either have lapsed or expired you will have to start
the whole procedure all over again.
If your current permission to stay was originally based on a non "O" 90 day then it expired long ago
but your extension can be renewed annually, if you remember to do it.

Hi there , thank you to everyone for their inputs into this, what makes the system a bit more complicated is that the visas and the rules vary quite a bit between different places, for example in the uk seems to be 1-3months tourist visas are easy got whereas the 12months is only available via London the retirement visa you need to be over 65yrs and proof of state Benifit etc is needed. I did originally start out with a tourist visa and converted it in bkk to a non-imm valid 12 months multi entry, the immigration office stamped it "retirement" which of course means I can not actually work in Thailand.

After talking to the Thai consulate they advised me to travel back on a 3 month tourist visa and change it the same as before to a year multiple entry visa, for reasons of retirement, this visa is not available outside of Thailand I believe, it's certainly not in the UK.

Thx again for all inputs will post updates

9 hours ago, flyingfox1 said:

got whereas the 12months is only available via London the retirement visa you need to be over 65yrs

This is untrue !   A  12 month   ME  O-A (Long stay or "retirement") visa is available to those over 50. A 12 month stay is permitted with this visa.

The non imm O visa, available to the over 65s is different, requires the applicant to be in reciept of an OAP and only allows stays of 90 days.

OP, a bit of misinformation being given here, wait for ubonjoe to come on and he will provide the correct information. You dont need to be 65 to get an O visa. Visa or extension based on retirement is 50 years old. 

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, a bit of misinformation being given here, wait for ubonjoe to come on and he will provide the correct information. You dont need to be 65 to get an O visa. Visa or extension based on retirement is 50 years old. 

And you have just added to the confusion/misinformation! 

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You have to be 65 or over and be on a state pension to get a non-o visa for retirement in the UK.

Many people from the UK that are old enough to get the non-o have get a tourist visa and then do a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa to so they can apply for the one year extension.

13 minutes ago, perthperson said:

And you have just added to the confusion/misinformation! 

Apologies, I was referring to other than UK issued O visa, yes 65 in UK

• 1 month later...

Update.. with my business almost complete in England , I'm going to Hull today to get a 3month tourist single entry to Thai, it's the quickest and cheapest visa, expected to be in Thai consulate 1hr max .. the plan is to go to bkk and get onto the year multi entry "retirement only" visa , same I've had for 2yrs until it expired coz in uk longer than expected ...

Could of gone through London but for some reason they say you to be a state pensioner of 65yrs old lol . Seems to long winded for me so I'm hoping to keep it simple..., will update

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

Update.. with my business almost complete in England , I'm going to Hull today to get a 3month tourist single entry to Thai, it's the quickest and cheapest visa, expected to be in Thai consulate 1hr max .. the plan is to go to bkk and get onto the year multi entry "retirement only" visa , same I've had for 2yrs until it expired coz in uk longer than expected ...

You will not get a multiple entry visa at immigration.

You can get a 90 day non immigrant (category O) visa entry and then during the last 30 day of the entry you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyingfox1 said:

the plan is to go to bkk

Whilst it used to be the case that the non-O visa entry referred to by ubonjoe was in general only obtainable from Chaengwattana Immigration this is no longer the case and local offices can now handle the process. So, unless, of course, you live within Chaengwattana's catchment area, you should go to your local office instead.

• 1 month later...
You can get a 90 day non immigrant (category O) visa entry and then during the last 30 day of the entry you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Yeah that seems about right, had the non immigrant O visa for 2yrs before I let the last expire due to being in uk longer than expected, got a 3 months tourist visa from uk , applied for extension in Thai in first week of being here, that was a month ago so still waiting for that to be hopefully granted a year visa before to
Long ..

I actually got in Thailand on a 90 day tourist visa that expires in December but have now changed it to O retirement visa it also expires in December lol - but I’m told I can go in again to extend for 1yr multi entry in November so I will be have the my old type 1 yr multi entry again but you guys out there on the same” check your dates and mark in on your calendar cos it’s a pain to keep going over the system!!!

2 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

I actually got in Thailand on a 90 day tourist visa that expires in December but have now changed it to O retirement visa it also expires in December lol - but I’m told I can go in again to extend for 1yr multi entry in November so I will be have the my old type 1 yr multi entry again but you guys out there on the same” check your dates and mark in on your calendar cos it’s a pain to keep going over the system!!!

An extension will not allow any entry - it only allows you to remain in Thailand for the one year at cost of 1,900 baht.  You will also have to buy a multi re-entry permit at 3,800 baht to exit/return multi times during that one year extension of stay.  You will need the financial proof as for the 90 day non immigrant O visa that you just obtained and if using bank account will have to be in account 2 months prior to requesting the extension.

2 hours ago, flyingfox1 said:

There is no such thing as a retirement Visa of any kind.

I can never get my head round why people like you, and many others, when given clear

knowledgeable advice from people who know what they are talking about ( ubonjoe )

you just completely ignore it and keep making stupid statements that are blatantly

incorrect.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, phuketjock said:

There is no such thing as a retirement Visa of any kind.

I can never get my head round why people like you, and many others, when given clear

knowledgeable advice from people who know what they are talking about ( ubonjoe )

you just completely ignore it and keep making stupid statements that are blatantly

incorrect.

A non immigrant 'O'A' visa issued in home country and i believe only from Embassies is a 'Retirement visa'

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

A non immigrant 'O'A' visa issued in home country and i believe only from Embassies is a 'Retirement visa'

Actually, to be exact it is a 'long stay visa for over 50's who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of one year without the intention of working' :smile:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Actually, to be exact it is a 'long stay visa for over 50's who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of one year without the intention of working' :smile:

To applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working.

is that not the definition of retired

Just now, steve187 said:

To applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working.

is that not the definition of retired

Yes, totally agree, to us it is, I was just being pedantic really, as for whatever reason, it is not officially called a retirement visa, in fact they seem to go out of their way not to call it that.

• Like 1