Retirement visa

48 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Yes, totally agree, to us it is, I was just being pedantic really, as for whatever reason, it is not officially called a retirement visa, in fact they seem to go out of their way not to call it that.

I am sorry Mattd but using the correct terminology is in no way pedantic.

Using the incorrect terminology is often misleading to many people and

can and does lead to unending confusion. There is no Retirement VISA

there is only, when talking about retirement, a retirement extension, nothing

more, and it is not an extension of a visa which cannot be extended.

55 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

I am sorry Mattd but using the correct terminology is in no way pedantic.

Using the incorrect terminology is often misleading to many people and

can and does lead to unending confusion. There is no Retirement VISA

there is only, when talking about retirement, a retirement extension, nothing

more, and it is not an extension of a visa which cannot be extended.

For those not aware when the O-A was started it clearly stated it was a pre-approved one year extension of stay for the type O visa (the "A" standing for approved) and required applications be sent to immigration in Thailand prior to issue by Consulate.  This was shortened to allow MFA officials to issue directly after a year or so.  It is issued for long stay and you could still be working outside Thailand.

• Like 1

What you do outside of Thailand doesn't matter a jot - you are retired within Thailand.

The Thai Embassy in Canberra Australia issues an OA Visa for only one reason - retirement in Thailand.

They call it a "Retirement Visa" - they are Thai, you pedants are not!.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

What you do outside of Thailand doesn't matter a jot - you are retired within Thailand.

The Thai Embassy in Canberra Australia issues an OA Visa for only one reason - retirement in Thailand.

They call it a "Retirement Visa" - they are Thai, you pedants are not!.

No they call it "RETIREMENT/LONG-STAY VISA" on their website but their boss is the MFA and they call it long stay visa - http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

• Like 2

FYI The police orders and etc have it in Thai as กรณีใช้ชีวิตในบั้นปลาย which roughly translates to the end of life (or for the rest of your life). But the translators sometime ago translated it as retirement.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

Screwed up and killed my Retirement Visa dated to Feb 2018 by entering Kingdom without re-entry permit :-(  Korat immigration telling me I can not get another Retirement Visa, need to start over, and recommends getting a Non-Imm O visa. Don't understand why I can not simply reapply for Retirement Visa as I did some years ago. Can someone give me the scoop on this? Woman at Korat immigration could not speak English enough to explain situation. Ended up getting a 30 day extension on what is now a tourist visa, and want to try again shortly in Pattaya. Had friend go through same last year and recall he had to go to Bangkok to fix.

Greatly appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by glider

1 hour ago, glider said:

Hello,

Screwed up and killed my Retirement Visa dated to Feb 2018 by entering Kingdom without re-entry permit :-(  Korat immigration telling me I can not get another Retirement Visa, need to start over, and recommends getting a Non-Imm O visa. Don't understand why I can not simply reapply for Retirement Visa as I did some years ago. Can someone give me the scoop on this? Woman at Korat immigration could not speak English enough to explain situation. Ended up getting a 30 day extension on what is now a tourist visa, and want to try again shortly in Pattaya. Had friend go through same last year and recall he had to go to Bangkok to fix.

Greatly appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Brian

did you have a one year extension of stay issued at local immigration office for 1,900 baht, if so then you have to start over again with a non immigrant visa.

13 hours ago, steve187 said:

did you have a one year extension of stay issued at local immigration office for 1,900 baht, if so then you have to start over again with a non immigrant visa.

Yes, been doing that for about 5 years. A misunderstanding resulted in my mistake. So far a friend has told me I need to go to out of country embassy to get the non imm O visa, or someone at local immigration has told me they can do for 5000 baht.

Thanks for your help!

Brian

The confusing bit to me is I remember some years back having my extension visa expire while out of the Kingdom, and I thought in that instance it was relatively simple to reapply for the retirement visa. Maybe things have changed or I am mistaken.

Start with a Non Immi O Visa and you'll have no problems applying for an Extension (not a  Visa) based on Retirement by meeting the Conditions' at any Immi Office (even Jomtien).

Edited by Evilbaz
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, glider said:

Yes, been doing that for about 5 years. A misunderstanding resulted in my mistake. So far a friend has told me I need to go to out of country embassy to get the non imm O visa, or someone at local immigration has told me they can do for 5000 baht.

Thanks for your help!

Brian

Happened to a friend of mine a few years back and he did manage to get it sorted by a 'friendly' official via Jomtien Immigration office, however, was considerably more than 5,000 (20k if my memory serves me right) and he did have to go to the Cambodian border and hop across and back in again to activate.

Reckon you are best to do the right thing and start the process again, these backdoor ways are not only illegal, there is a chance that they backfire if it is discovered by a higher up official and you could end up getting blacklisted, just not worth it IMO.

I had the "long stay visa". I went to do my 90 day report the other day, and was informed it was the last day of my visa. Could not believe the year went so fast. I was told if I got everything in order for the next day they would renew with one day overstay. Then one of the official farang helpers that work there said I could get a 7 day extension which I needed, to try to come up with the 800,000. The lawyer that was going to help me with that informed me that my long stay visa is not valid any more, and I need to fly out of the country and start over. Does anyone have any suggestions

25 minutes ago, DanBlack said:

The lawyer that was going to help me with that informed me that my long stay visa is not valid any more, and I need to fly out of the country and start over. Does anyone have any suggestions

If you actually have the 800k you should be fine for the 7 days after an extension request and they can provide a new extension - if you are saying you do not have the 800k (in account 3 months) expect an illegal service can not obtain without a new non immigrant O entry.

34 minutes ago, DanBlack said:

Then one of the official farang helpers that work there said I could get a 7 day extension which I needed, to try to come up with the 800,000.

At one time that was correct information but since the last police order came out that has different wording for it most offices will not let you apply for an extension during those 7 days.

Most offices now advise people to do a short overstay and then apply for the extension.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

At one time that was correct information but since the last police order came out that has different wording for it most offices will not let you apply for an extension during those 7 days.

Most offices now advise people to do a short overstay and then apply for the extension.

I wonder if its worth going back to ask. I am in Phuket

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If you actually have the 800k you should be fine for the 7 days after an extension request and they can provide a new extension - if you are saying you do not have the 800k (in account 3 months) expect an illegal service can not obtain without a new non immigrant O entry.

Don't have it

45 minutes ago, DanBlack said:

Then one of the official farang helpers

Thought that the officer was the one who suggested a 7 day extension - sorry.  Now see it was not her so unless you actually have the money ready expect you are faced with a trip to obtain new non immigrant O visa (and will be on 500 baht a day overstay until you depart unless you request an extension (the 7 days to leave).  So best to take quick action (not sure when "the other day" was).

13 minutes ago, DanBlack said:

I wonder if its worth going back to ask. I am in Phuket

It would be worth getting the 7 days to avoid being on an overstay.

A volunteer at Phuket recently advised the same wrong info recently. The person reporting it went back and checked and was told no by a real immigration officer.  He was told to overstay and apply which is what he did after a couple of days.

13 minutes ago, DanBlack said:

Don't have it

About all you do is go out for new non-o visa and start all over again.

• 5 months later...
For years I've been coming here for 4/5 months then returning to UK.

I'm married to a Thai national so getting the Thai visa NON-IMM O ...without any issues.

However when I return in November this year I want to start staying longer here IE: 6/7 months then return UK for 6 months.

So I would like to apply for...

"RETIREMENT/LONG-STAY VISA" 'long stay visa for over 50's who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of one year without the intention of working' 

For arguments sake I will call this the "RETIREMENT VISA"

There seems to be conflicting advice everywhere...so I will write down what I understand to be correct AND hopefully "ubonjoe" will be along to clarify...I'm sure this will help others new to this 50's "RETIREMENT VISA"

OK, I'm in me early fifties have around 800K baht in a Thai account (my name only) for a few years.

I live in Bangkok, the APT that I rent is now only in my wife's name, cos the new owners say only 1 name to be on the contract.

On 1st November 2018 I arrive in the Kingdom with a 3 month NON-IMM O Thai visa.

What DATE can i apply for the "RETIREMENT VISA" ...1 month before my 3 month NON-IMM O Thai visa is up?

Can I apply for "RETIREMENT VISA" at suan plu immigration office OR do i have to go to chaengwattana immigration office?

What documents do you need to show, just passport, 2 photos and Thai bank book?

The cost to apply for "RETIREMENT VISA"  is 1,900 baht?

Lets say my RETIREMENT VISA is granted on 30 January 2019 or around this time.

My understanding is i will get a 12 month extension ("RETIREMENT VISA" ) I will have to report every 90 days (online if i want) AND when it comes to the anniversary in January 2020 (as long as I'm in the Kingdom) I can re-new for a further 12 months?

When i leave to return to UK, i apply for re-entry permit cost 1,900 baht?

Is there any problem staying in UK for around 6 months when on this "RETIREMENT VISA" ?

IE: in regards to 90 day reporting?

Thanks for any help in advance.

You want to extend your stay for 12 months for the purpose of retirement at immigration.  Cost is 1,900 baht for TM.7 form which you must fill out and attach one 4x6cm current photo.  You will require bank letter of account balance as well as passbook/statements showing money in account for previous 2 months and some proof of address (wife copy of home ledger/marriage certificate expect would be accepted but landlord is required to report foreigners which apparently he is not doing so you might have wife submit as occupant of apartment).  You will need copies of your passport data page/visa/entry stamp and departure card (sign at bottom of each page).

Re-entry permit costs 1,000 baht.  You apply for extension up to 45 days prior to expiration of current permitted to stay.  Next year money will have to be in bank for 3 months prior to application.

All immigration matters are done at Chiang Watanna.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:

Can I apply for "RETIREMENT VISA" at suan plu immigration office OR do i have to go to chaengwattana immigration office?

You would apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at Chaeng Wattana immigration. The Suan Plu office closed in 2009.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:
Is there any problem staying in UK for around 6 months when on this "RETIREMENT VISA" ?

IE: in regards to 90 day reporting?

No need to submit 90-day reports while you are in the UK. The clock is automatically reset upon your return to Thailand, with your date of re-entering the country counting as Day 1 of the 90. 

• Thanks 1

That was QUICK ...thanks guys.

The apt i stay, is government owned - they just recently kicked out the corrupt useless management company.

My wife says they can supply a letter stating that i live in this APT. Surely this would be sufficient?

The only question not answered is: "

"Lets say my RETIREMENT VISA is granted on 30 January 2019 or around this time.

My understanding is i will get a 12 month extension ("RETIREMENT VISA" )  AND when it comes to the anniversary in January 2020 (as long as I'm in the Kingdom) I can re-new for a further 12 months?"

Thanks for any help in advance.
Cheers!

Again you get a 12 month extension of stay (it is not a visa and can not be used for travel).  Time starts from end of current permitted to stay, not on the date it is approved.  You must go through the same process each year during the final 45 days of permitted stay.