Shocking BP yesterday- better today. Where am I?

mommysboy

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, mommysboy said:

It tends towards the 'purge' type of diet, and imo this is never a good idea.  At the least, I imagine it could cause a stomach upset, with cramping, etc.

I didn't mean a long diet of 100% fruit. Fasting once or twice a week is good for us, but I don't have the willpower for that. They say that just eating fruit on a fast day is OK. Just asking if anyone has had result with that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/19/2017 at 10:32 AM, superal said:

Where did you buy your BP tester from ? not the local market I hope . Your results are remarkable inasmuch as the improvement of your bp , also what are your pulse rates ? finally what have you done to effect all of the changes that you can pass on to us ?

I too have average BP 118/70 and I'm 65. Get out and cycle at least 3 times a week.

3 hours ago, sinbin said:

I too have average BP 118/70 and I'm 65. Get out and cycle at least 3 times a week.

Mine is really stabilising around text book readings now.  I got a decent night's sleep.  It's sleep, diet, exercise.  Groundbraking stuff, eh!  Should I write a book?

PS: guilty confession- I haven't been able to ditch the vaper.

15 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

PS: guilty confession- I haven't been able to ditch the vaper.

My mother didn't stop smoking until she reached her 70's when she had both breasts removed. And she was a high level taker of salt. Died aged 86.

Live life to the full, it's your life.

Edited by sinbin

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I didn't mean a long diet of 100% fruit. Fasting once or twice a week is good for us, but I don't have the willpower for that. They say that just eating fruit on a fast day is OK. Just asking if anyone has had result with that.

I dont know in all honesty, but to my way of thinking 'fasting' really implies no food for a set number of hours.  I do believe it is highly beneficial, because it sets up a fat burn.  Moreover, I believe it gives the digestive tract a bit of a break.  Rogue cells also need constant feeding, whereas healthy cells are more resilient, but I don't know if this is clinically significant.

Fruit for a day?  Of course fruit is healthy.  For me, I think it would upset my stomach but maybe someone else will find it ideal.

It's a good subject area for discussion.

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I dont know in all honesty, but to my way of thinking 'fasting' really implies no food for a set number of hours.  I do believe it is highly beneficial, because it sets up a fat burn.  Moreover, I believe it gives the digestive tract a bit of a break.  Rogue cells also need constant feeding, whereas healthy cells are more resilient, but I don't know if this is clinically significant.

Fruit for a day?  Of course fruit is healthy.  For me, I think it would upset my stomach but maybe someone else will find it ideal.

It's a good subject area for discussion.

Fasting for a few hours or even a day does not set up much fat burn. In fact the body goes into preservation mode and burns calories more slowly saving your fat for future needs.You lose mainly fluids during a short fast and muscle before fat.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Fasting for a few hours or even a day does not set up much fat burn. In fact the body goes into preservation mode and burns calories more slowly saving your fat for future needs.You lose mainly fluids during a short fast and muscle before fat.

That's not good. Losing weight is a key factor for some in lowering BP.  I guess only a controlled diet, and a good exercise regimen will help.  The really tough bit of luck for those who find it near impossible to lose weight is that these people were the ultimate survivors a hundred years ago when food may have been scarce at times.

The people I know who have lost weight (not really something I've ever had to do) said they stopped eating cakes, biscuits, etc and did more exercise.  I have seen it first hand on a daily basis with my step-daughter.  I think a first step is in realising that life can be better and it can be done.

Just now, mommysboy said:

That's not good. Losing weight is a key factor for some in lowering BP.  I guess only a controlled diet, and a good exercise regimen will help.  The really tough bit of luck for those who find it near impossible to lose weight is that these people were the ultimate survivors a hundred years ago when food may have been scarce at times.

The people I know who have lost weight (not really something I've ever had to do) said they stopped eating cakes, biscuits, etc and did more exercise.  I have seen it first hand on a daily basis with my step-daughter.  I think a first step is in realising that life can be better and it can be done.

That's it. Balance....you can reduce caloric intake and change the composition but when you fast the body slows down to reduce  calorie burn. Now if you fast at the same time you take some type of metabolic enhancer (caffeine, amphetamines, etc) then you will lose weight). But also most fasting diets don't work because you make your self hungry and then gorge when not fasting defeating the fast.

The key is to cut out the super sweets and simple carbs that cause you to crave more. Once you have killed the cravings then going with a reduced calorie diet is much easier.

Actually the whole idea behind the one day fast thing is to avoid the body going into conservation mode because the duration of the fast is so short. The metabolism definitely does slow way down after a few days of caloric restriction or fasting, but a single day, might not.

I've been doing a variation of the intermittent fast  - eat normally 2-3 days in a row then fast 1 day and eat normally again etc - and it seems to work well, weight loss is pretty much exactly what it should be at normal metabolic rate.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Actually the whole idea behind the one day fast thing is to avoid the body going into conservation mode because the duration of the fast is so short. The metabolism definitely does slow way down after a few days of caloric restriction or fasting, but a single day, might not.

I've been doing a variation of the intermittent fast  - eat normally 2-3 days in a row then fast 1 day and eat normally again etc - and it seems to work well, weight loss is pretty much exactly what it should be at normal metabolic rate.

I think it also depends on your individual metabolism, I tried a similar regime about 10 years ago and did not lose a bit. I think my body reacts to changes in calories very quickly (perhaps the afternoon naps so I would not feel hungry while fasting were a bad idea !). But people should find out what diet/regime works for them, it's not a one size fits all. For me, it's intense exercise coupled with a lean, low fat diet with some complex carbs for energy. But for a friend, just cutting out carbs and eating high fat works. Good luck to all.

7 hours ago, sinbin said:

My mother didn't stop smoking until she reached her 70's when she had both breasts removed. And she was a high level taker of salt. Died aged 86.

Live life to the full, it's your life.

There's a lot to be said for living life to the full.

10 hours ago, mommysboy said:

When you are trying to change habits of a lifetime it is a difficult task and you have to be in the right mind set , have a reason to do and targets to hit .  I read that you are struggling with the vape and I sure can understand that as I still smoke even knowing that it is the cause of many illnesses .But is the vape not virtually safe ? in the UK doctors encourage smokers to vape rather than smoke as the dangers are minuscule in comparison . 

19 minutes ago, superal said:

When you are trying to change habits of a lifetime it is a difficult task and you have to be in the right mind set , have a reason to do and targets to hit .  I read that you are struggling with the vape and I sure can understand that as I still smoke even knowing that it is the cause of many illnesses .But is the vape not virtually safe ? in the UK doctors encourage smokers to vape rather than smoke as the dangers are minuscule in comparison . 

The problem with the vaping is you really don't know what you are inhaling. No long term research, no real intensive testing or regulation for most of it out there. Plus even the transparent ones that have natural ingredients, the human body was designed to inhale the atmosphere at certain percentages, taking any other mixture of chemicals and gases into your lungs is not really smart.

47 minutes ago, tonray said:

The problem with the vaping is you really don't know what you are inhaling. No long term research, no real intensive testing or regulation for most of it out there. Plus even the transparent ones that have natural ingredients, the human body was designed to inhale the atmosphere at certain percentages, taking any other mixture of chemicals and gases into your lungs is not really smart.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2017/02February/Pages/Long-term-vaping-far-safer-than-smoking-says-landmark-study.aspx

Interesting reading and leans in favor of you comments  or at least that is my interpretation .Before & after a vape I suggest Mommysboy take a BP test and copy the results here . I will do the same with a cigarette   . 

5 minutes ago, superal said:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2017/02February/Pages/Long-term-vaping-far-safer-than-smoking-says-landmark-study.aspx

Interesting reading and leans in favor of you comments  or at least that is my interpretation .Before & after a vape I suggest Mommysboy take a BP test and copy the results here . I will do the same with a cigarette   . 

Yes, if you have to choose one, vaping is far superior as smoking is probably the worst thing you can do short of hard drugs. It hardens your arteries, lowers the oxygen carrying capacity of your blood, destroys your capillaries, and makes you look 20 years older than you are. Not to mention the cancer, emphysema, COPD risks.

11 minutes ago, tonray said:

Yes, if you have to choose one, vaping is far superior as smoking is probably the worst thing you can do short of hard drugs. It hardens your arteries, lowers the oxygen carrying capacity of your blood, destroys your capillaries, and makes you look 20 years older than you are. Not to mention the cancer, emphysema, COPD risks.

My results       Before cig  BP  132  69   63        after cig   149  70   69 

4 hours ago, superal said:

It is much, much safer providing the equipment and e-juice is good.  It is thought not to be at all carcinogenic, but there are no long term studies to absolutely prove that.  Certainly, the UK Health Authority is confident it is of great benefit.

However, nicotine raises blood pressure.  Because it is so clean, you can do it over and over again.  So, people like me ingest a constant amount of nicotine, and therein contains the problem.

Part of the reason I could give up booze, is because it was a crutch for me to cope with stress and physical pain, and not because I liked it. I have always liked smoking however.

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Just took my BP 100/62 ,i take medication and it used to be about 122 /76 but after losing 12 kg it really dropped , gave up smoking when the price hit one pound seventy for 20, so a few years ago

Are you sure about the figures?  Nobody would prescribe medication at 122/76 as that is near optimal.  BP medication is generally given 150/90 upwards.  Perhaps you have another associated condition?

3 hours ago, superal said:

My results       Before cig  BP  132  69   63        after cig   149  70   69 

It's not a lot of difference.

And it is only for half an hour.

But it all adds up.

I doubt the amount you smoke these days is significant.

4 hours ago, tonray said:

Yes I understand your point, and have thought much the same about such a concoction constantly entering the lungs.  I think there has been intensive testing though- it's just not the results the anti-smoking lobby want to hear- and there is regulation in the UK for instance, but obviously there are no longitudinal studies.

There were concerns about diacetyl-2 as this chemical is strongly linked to popcorn lung.  And as you say there is the general wisdom of inhaling pvg in such constant and large quantities, but so far concerns appear groundless.  The long and short of it is that there is nothing within the liquid which can not be found in conventional cigarettes in much, much greater quantities.

22 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's not a lot of difference.

And it is only for half an hour.

But it all adds up.

I doubt the amount you smoke these days is significant.

exactly my thoughts , I would be chuffed with 122/76

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/clean-eating-disorders-ugly-damaging-health-diet-food-pemberton-ella-woodward-a7848381.html

Might be meandering a bit off topic, yet this illustrates -albeit in the extreme- why we shouldn't aim to be too healthy.  It's not a totally fair argument because of the sheer extremeness, but there is a point to be made that applies to one and all. 

Obviously, if one is gluten intolerant say, then that is another matter.

Edited by mommysboy

I'm getting readings in the 110/70 range now, hb 59. 

I've changed just about everything that needed to be changed (except nicotine).

In particular I'm sleeping better hours, eating better, and exercising more intensely.  I am just much more relaxed.

One new thing: I am eating berries every day.  I buy them in frozen bags and flashwave them and add them to yoghurt.  Sometimes, I eat them on their own with sugar sprinkled on top.  They do reportedly lower bp.  I am eating strawberries and blackberries, but I understand blueberries are best.

Edit: one more thing I am not scared of the machine (I think this is a factor for many people).

Edited by mommysboy

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/news/20110120/strawberries-blueberries-may-ward-off-high-blood-pressure

Here's a report.  It's not a definitive study, and of course the placebo effect can't be ruled out.  In my case it could be the anti-oxidant is counter acting the nicotine.  I do seem to have avoided many of the bad effects of cigarette smoking (I smoked for 30 years although not heavily).  If there is a specific reason I believe it is my tea habit.

19 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I'm getting readings in the 110/70 range now, hb 59. 

I've changed just about everything that needed to be changed (except nicotine).

In particular I'm sleeping better hours, eating better, and exercising more intensely.  I am just much more relaxed.

One new thing: I am eating berries every day.  I buy them in frozen bags and flashwave them and add them to yoghurt.  Sometimes, I eat them on their own with sugar sprinkled on top.  They do reportedly lower bp.  I am eating strawberries and blackberries, but I understand blueberries are best.

Edit: one more thing I am not scared of the machine (I think this is a factor for many people).

Can you take a BP reading before you vape and then immediately after ? curious to know 

11 minutes ago, superal said:

Can you take a BP reading before you vape and then immediately after ? curious to know 

The thing is it's tests like that which make me nervous/agitated.  But I did try it a few days ago.  130 rapidly went up to 150.  When I did a bit of googling, there were similar stories.  And Sheryl said it, and 2 doctors I've seen recently.

The problem with vaping is it is constant, so you have to have the discipline to put it down.  With smoking you have your fill and BP will soon normalise. I smoke about 2 packs a year.

The solution for me might be 0% nicotine liquid- if I can get hold of some.

16 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/news/20110120/strawberries-blueberries-may-ward-off-high-blood-pressure

Here's a report.  It's not a definitive study, and of course the placebo effect can't be ruled out.  In my case it could be the anti-oxidant is counter acting the nicotine.  I do seem to have avoided many of the bad effects of cigarette smoking (I smoked for 30 years although not heavily).  If there is a specific reason I believe it is my tea habit.

Good reading the link , too many good reports to effected by the placebo scenario . Buying fresh as opposed to frozen has some differences that are surprising . The following link also brings more fruit/veg into consideration .

https://healthyfocus.org/health-benefits-of-anthocyanins/

But this is the way it seems to go for me.  I have a cigarette (vape) say, and that gives me a high, and that leads me to chase for another with a strong cup of tea/coffee, which makes me a bit angsty, so I go on TV and get involved in bric-bats maybe.  And when it comes time to relax I don't really do it because my body is hot, and I've got thoughts swirling around.

I wonder how many recognise this sort of pattern.