Could Pattaya tram be the answer to the resort's transport woes?

webfact

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Pattaya needs several multi-storey car parks; it needs a bus park outside the centre with tourists taking a shuttle of baht buses; it needs the taxi Mafia taken off the street clogging up the roads; clothes drying racks should be taken off the streets after dark; businesses should not be allowed to commandeer the road in front of their premises with cones; oh and a police force.

This poster is smart. I agree.

No parking on street at all. 3 lanes each way down main roads. Government buys up some land and builds parking spots. Let's go to city Hall and present the plan. Who's with me and mikebell?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pattaya is growing from a fishing village in the 60's to a now bustling tourist & entertainment community complete with all that that brings.  Many communities throughout the world are experiencing this and it will continue.  The population is growing and people look for jobs and any method to maintain sustenance.   Government officials are faced with timing, expense and future costs in improving and maintaining congested community living.  As we all have seen the need to get around and method of private conveyance whether it be by auto, motorbike or public they all compete for space with the cost of time.  New methods are being developed from electric, solar, light rail to even individual air transports.  If only the StarTrek 'transporter' would be developed soon!  

Affordable public conveyance seems to be the only way to transport mass population.  It has to be easy access, affordable and safe.  That in itself will have its own set of issues.  What is the alternative? 

Positively NO

Resorts would remain full with families and Higher End

tourists willing to spend money IF:

1.  26-48 month program to clean up the

FILTHY,  POLLUTED, Ocean.

2.  The beach cleaned each evening or early ,morning

Tractor/rake like Australia, USA Beaches cleaned.

3.  Safer traffic laws enforced.

4.  Trained, competent  drivers;  safe tour buses  safety

Inspected each 6 months.

High End Tourists would spend lots of money in Pattaya;

And Pattaya would not attract so many low class drunks

and cheap sex Tourists staying in flea bag hotel rooms.

5 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

yes i could see a tram working well, especially up & down beach road & around to circle 2nd and maybe 3rd road. 

i think it would work but of couse im no expert  but its something i would pay onto easilly.

The 1st 2nd road loop is the LAST place that needs a tram....

How about a tram out to the far reaches of the dark side now that

would really be helpful....

Wait a minute. They're talking about putting buses in first to get the public used to it, and then laying tracks and installing a tram. Why not just keep the buses? A city as chaotic as Pattaya has no chance of keeping those tracks uncluttered and the trams freely moving. And let's not even begin on maintenance! 

Once tram tracks are installed, the motorcycles will still be more of a problem than the 4+wheelers

They will be forever be getting their bike wheels either stuck in the tracks,

or at least slipping everywhere in the wet, especially whenever bikes are applied in a hurry.

The resultant positive thing about the above - is that it then discourages all that prevailing incessant overtaking/ lane swapping.

4 hours ago, hansnl said:

Actually there is a much cheaper and more flexible system.

Trolley buses on dedicated lanes where possible.

No track laying in the road, only overhead wires.

Clean and quiet transport.

2017-07-11_08.38.52.jpg

This bi-articulated bus runs in the city of Zurich in Switzerland, where traffic laws are strictly enforced, buses have dedicated bus lane with no noodle carts, try-wheelers or somtam wagons blocking the way. 

Trams look like shown here are are by far the fastest and cheapest way to commute, very successfully and to the fullest satisfaction of its users. 

I told my eight year old grandson to get ready to prepare his greatgrandson for the opening of the first tram ride through Pattaya. This of course only if the same professionals are hired who are in charge of Pattaya's underpass! 

Zurich-Modern1.jpg

5 hours ago, charmonman said:

If the trams looked like this I'd be all for it.

Maybe, but how long do you think it would stay clean cut as in the picture, with the way cables are unsightly piled up on every pole, with dangerous loose dangling wires and coils etc. 

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

yes i could see a tram working well, especially up & down beach road & around to circle 2nd and maybe 3rd road. 

i think it would work but of couse im no expert  but its something i would pay onto easilly.

But remember trams don't normally come to the kerb, in the west all traffic stops to allow people get on and off, can you honestly imagine them stopping here?

Yes please make it happen , I would love it, 5 minutes to Central instead of having to trust crazy baht bus drivers.  

But unfortunately it will never happen , the taxi mafia is in control of Pattaya.  Corruption etc. 

But we can always dream. 

55 minutes ago, MUSICMAN16 said:

please bring trams

so we can avoid these wicked thieving lying taxi drivers

trams

trams

trams

trams

taxi drivers spoil the tourists holiday

Only to be replaced by wicked thieving tram operators.... 

8 hours ago, donkeykong said:

We're getting a tower as well!  :-)

59641b8e8fe0a_p01h7zqx1.jpg.e4b888980110f909e31b396585886c75.jpg

There is already a tower- many years ago was actually quite fun in the revolving restaurant- last time I looked- you stuck to the remains of the carpet- the Chinese tours were hoovering up every possible edible morsel .

The tram - nice idea- will be blockades, sabotage, etc etc.

Very sadly can remember the trolley buses in Doncaster- I seem to remember they worked quite well .

The Town Hall needs to really think about banning the tour buses from the centre of the universe ( oops Pattaya) the drivers don't give a flying * about anyone on the road.

Then of course - who are we poor mortals who live here and contribute billions to the town hall- have any say in the matter. 

6 hours ago, manarak said:

what transport woes?

my main worry are traffic jams on Pattaya Tai, Thepprasit, Pattaya Klang and Sukhumvit.

These a tram cannot solve.

Easily solved by banning the parking on all these major roads and doing some simple improvements to the intersections.

9 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Pattaya has the best, cheapest, and most frequent transportation in the world, why change it ? If it ain,t broke don,t fix it !

Melbourne Australia has FREE trams in the city center so cheapest in the world title goes there. If it ain't broke there's no reason why you can't improve it. 

12 minutes ago, tonywillo said:

Melbourne Australia has FREE trams in the city center so cheapest in the world title goes there. If it ain't broke there's no reason why you can't improve it. 

Bat Busses are fun trams are boring...So a 10 Baht Baht bus is

a better value than a free tram....

10 hours ago, hansnl said:

2017-07-11_08.38.52.jpg

I'm all for better public transportation but the LAST thing we need is more overhead wires!

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, hansnl said:

2017-07-11_08.38.52.jpg

"dedicated lanes "

You mean as in a lane in the road that everyone else would have to keep out of, or at least make way for the trams?  ROFL.  Yeah, that'd work...     ... about as well as making way for emergency vehicles and zebra-striped walkways, not to mention your common everyday red light, do now.

The 4-wheel taxis don't contribute anything useful and are totally expendable, but aside from there perhaps being too many of them, the baht busses work pretty well.

Edited by hawker9000