Finished job, can I stay till visa ends?

My job at a provincial school finished last week, although my non-immigrant B visa is good for another month or so. I am planning to leave Thailand for good (no regrets) but before I do that I have some things to do. The question is: can I stay until the end of my visa or will the school cancel it? cheers.

This was acquired 60 days ago in a foreign country at a Thai embassy or consulate ?

I got it at the immigration center in Chaengwattana. The stamp on my passport seems standard, certainly the school is not mentioned. I says: "Extension of stay permitted up to... Holder must leave the Kingdom within..." I guess the school cannot cancel it... I hope, anyway!

It's an extension of stay that technically ends on the day your employment ends. The school cannot cancel it but it is no longer legally valid if you are no longer employed.

A Visa is only obtained outside of the country. 

Practical advice:

Ask school to provide a post dated letter stating you job ends next week. take that letter to Immigration and cancel your extension, then you must leave the country within 24 hours.

Edited by tonray

OP you have an extension of stay based on employment, (not a visa). Ergo, your permission to stay in the Kingdom ends the day your employment ends.

You will have to speak to the school to see when they are going to cancel your extension and work permit.

11 minutes ago, Bob2017 said:

I got it at the immigration center in Chaengwattana. The stamp on my passport seems standard, certainly the school is not mentioned. I says: "Extension of stay permitted up to... Holder must leave the Kingdom within..." I guess the school cannot cancel it... I hope, anyway!

It looks like permission to stay will end with the job. You can apply at Imm' and get 7 days for 1900 baht or leave and return on a visa exempt entry 30 days. If you do, have 20,000 baht, a flight out and a hotel booking to show on entry to make things easier.

Edited by overherebc

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

It looks like permission to stay will end with the job. You can apply at Imm' and get 7 days for 1900 baht or leave and return on a visa exempt entry 30 days. If you do, have 20,000 baht, a flight out and a hotel booking to show on entry to make thinvs easier.

A visa exempt entry would only require proof of 10k. (20k is for holders of a visa).

3 hours ago, Bob2017 said:

what's the difference between a visa and an extension? Aren't all renewed visas extensions?

An extension of stay ends when the reason for it ends, in this case your employment. Except in rare circumstances a visa (issued at an embassy or consulate) remains valid until its expiration date.

Visas are never extended. Your permission to stay may be extended at an immigration office.

3 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

Incorrect

Absolutely correct. Your extension of stay, in this case, is based on the work permit. As long as that work permit is valid so is the extension.

I have known several people in my time here where they have finished employment but their work permits have been kept current so they do not have to panic and leave straight away. Any decent employer would do that if the terms of ending employment were accepted by both parties.

8 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Absolutely correct. Your extension of stay, in this case, is based on the work permit. As long as that work permit is valid so is the extension.

I have known several people in my time here where they have finished employment but their work permits have been kept current so they do not have to panic and leave straight away. Any decent employer would do that if the terms of ending employment were accepted by both parties.

Just because an employer delays cancelling the work permit does not detract from the fact, (in law), that the day your employment ends, so does your permission to stay.

Do not confuse "playing the system" with the correct and legal way of terminating an employee.

I had a multi entry marriage visa issued in Savanahkept on July 1st, 2016. I started working in Thailand on March 17, 2017 when I got my work permit. My 90 day entry stamp ended on 23 May and on May 19 my employer got his lawyer to extend my visa until 22 June. He then got another extension on June 22 that allows me to stay in Thailand until my passport expires on March 13, 2018. So, had I left Thailand before July 1st, I could have gotten a 3 months extension on my marriage visa and been OK until October 1st. However, now my employer wants to end my sales commision and wants to put me on a salary of 20K baht. I was earning 30K baht last month in commissions. My work permit has 50K stamped in for salary. If I refuse the pay cut from 30K to 20K and he cancels my work permit, how long will I be able to stay in Thailand? His lawyer told me that he was extending my marriage visa and the stamp on top of the extension in Thai THAI WIFE- WORK. This is against my agreement with my employer who promised to keep me on a marriage visa for this very reason. How long do I have to stay in Thailand if refuse this new assignment from my employer or ask for a living wage?

32 minutes ago, thaisail said:

I had a multi entry marriage visa issued in Savanahkept on July 1st, 2016. I started working in Thailand on March 17, 2017 when I got my work permit. My 90 day entry stamp ended on 23 May and on May 19 my employer got his lawyer to extend my visa until 22 June. He then got another extension on June 22 that allows me to stay in Thailand until my passport expires on March 13, 2018. So, had I left Thailand before July 1st, I could have gotten a 3 months extension on my marriage visa and been OK until October 1st. However, now my employer wants to end my sales commision and wants to put me on a salary of 20K baht. I was earning 30K baht last month in commissions. My work permit has 50K stamped in for salary. If I refuse the pay cut from 30K to 20K and he cancels my work permit, how long will I be able to stay in Thailand? His lawyer told me that he was extending my marriage visa and the stamp on top of the extension in Thai THAI WIFE- WORK. This is against my agreement with my employer who promised to keep me on a marriage visa for this very reason. How long do I have to stay in Thailand if refuse this new assignment from my employer or ask for a living wage?

AFIK there is no combo extension available. The extension will be based on Work OR Marriage. If based on work the extension is invalid from the day your work ceases.