Immigration Bureau warns of dismissal for tea money collection

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, thongplay said:

I got a drivers licence for a car by passing the test. All legit.

I never had nor was asked for a 'letter from Immigration'.

So don't know what you are talking about.

If you don't know what I'm talking about you haven't been here long. Have a look at the attachment for docs needed for Thai driving licence. it's called a "Certificate of Residence".

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai license Checklist.pdf

Edited by giddyup

5 hours ago, Seismic said:

The fact that they have to issue an order for this tells you everything you need to know.

the officers are simply underpayed...that breads corruption and the result is a corrupt thailand ...pay em all very very well and impose capital punishment to those who remain corrupt same as spore done in the sixtys ... compare both countrys today life for the population differs like day and night

Only in Thailand. If BIB /police and or immigration dept caught accepting so called tea money HERE IN AUSTRALIA. Punishment go to GAOL STRAIGHT TO GAOL. DO NOT PASS GO. OH BUT NOT HERE. lmao

Edited by wavemanwww

8 minutes ago, free123 said:

the officers are simply underpayed...that breads corruption and the result is a corrupt thailand ...pay em all very very well and impose capital punishment to those who remain corrupt same as spore done in the sixtys ... compare both countrys today life for the population differs like day and night

Not sure that will work. A lot of Thai government officials and politicians are paid very well, doesn't stop them wanting more. Jobs in immigration are highly sought after because of all the benefits.

Edited by giddyup

4 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Those interested in "corruption" need to explain what "pork barrel" politics in the US and similar Western schemes in the West are before claiming "corruption" is something unique to SE Asia. 

As much sense as Thai's disciplinary actions for corruption!!! As Pauline Hanson once said "Please explain".Perhperson (doughting you have ever left Thailand). LOL

I know 3 men who have paid between 15k and 22k to renew their retirement extension without having the required money in the bank.,

It doesn't matter how much you paid them the corruption and greed is so deeply ingrained into the organisations that they will not stop grafting. It has become an accepted part of Thai culture now.,

1 minute ago, ChrisY1 said:

So no more Thb 20K for a Non-O visa when the applicant has no funds I guess...

1 minute ago, ChrisY1 said:

So no more Thb 20K for a Non-O visa when the applicant has no funds I guess...

Price can be negotiable. A friend paid 17,000 baht recently.

44 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Those interested in "corruption" need to explain what "pork barrel" politics in the US and similar Western schemes in the West are before claiming "corruption" is something unique to SE Asia. 

It is not that it is unique, it is the fact that it is endemic.

4 hours ago, badlad said:

what about immigration offices being given the same orders about collecting tea money . the last time i visited an office the tea money box was stuffed with 1000 baht notes until the officer emptied it to make way for more 1000 baht notes .when shared out this must be an enormous bonus on top of salary and untaxed

Which office - Because I for one do not believe you.

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

No, I mean the letter supplied by immigration that is required by Motor Transport before you can get a drivers licence.

It's free. I just tell the officer politely "Sorry, but I think you might have made a mistake. This document is free."

Appogies then come from the other side. Worked every time for me. 

2 minutes ago, memkuk said:

It's free. I just tell the officer politely "Sorry, but I think you might have made a mistake. This document is free."

Appogies then come from the other side. Worked every time for me. 

Then they tell you to come back in 2 weeks to collect it.

5 hours ago, andersonat said:

The letter *is* free, but there's *no* chance of getting a "free" letter quickly [with a a day/week or three]   - unfortunately, the Immigration Police have invented an expedited service, where you can get the letter in a day-or-two.  -- You are asked to pay for the expedited service, although you will *never* receive a receipt for your payment (of typically B500).

Got mine yesterday, ฿300, 20 minutes, no receipt, no problems. Used to be ฿200, that's inflation for you! (Jomtien).

1 minute ago, Grusa said:

Got mine yesterday, ฿300, 20 minutes, no receipt, no problems. Used to be ฿200, that's inflation for you! (Jomtien).

What immigration office? I believe they charge 500 baht at Pattaya, which is a nice little earner for somebody.

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

While we're on the subject, can someone clear up whether immigration are entitled to charge for a letter of residence or not. I know I have paid every time, but have read somewhere that it's supposed to be free.

500 Baht is the correct fee as is stated at the form.

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

There is no official published "correct fee"  

What is being paid is a "service fee" which will not be receipted .........................

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

What is being paid is a "service fee" which will not be receipted .........................

I have receipts for mine from the Phang Nga Immigration Office. 

Edited by Arandora

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

Well, you might be right.

500 Baht I saw printed on the application form and paid 500 several times in different offices.

41 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What immigration office? I believe they charge 500 baht at Pattaya, which is a nice little earner for somebody.

As I said, Jomtien (pattaya). They asked ฿300, gave them a ฿500, got ฿200 and a smile back.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you don't know what I'm talking about you haven't been here long. Have a look at the attachment for docs needed for Thai driving licence. it's called a "Certificate of Residence".

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai license Checklist.pdf

Quite right. You must have a certificate of residence to get or renew a Thai driving licence if you're not actually a Thai national. Certainly the case in CM. No certificate = No licence. End of.

1 hour ago, aslimversgwm said:

Quite right. You must have a certificate of residence to get or renew a Thai driving licence if you're not actually a Thai national. Certainly the case in CM. No certificate = No licence. End of.

Correct.

Friend of mine at CM transport office this morning. No cert of residence so off she goes to immi.

For an expedited fee of 500, she gets the paper in half an hour.

Let's see how her test goes tomorrow.

Yes you can choose not to pay.

And wait 2-3 weeks. If your medical cert doesn't expire, good. If it does, please jump thru the monkey hoops again.