Converting to monthly income

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

Are you sure the British Embassy asked you to pay in US$ ????  If so, what was the service they provided? 

They put a visa in my wife's passport so she could come with me for 3 weeks'holiday.....USD 119. And if I do not want to take the paperwork to Bkk, I can go to Chiang Mai, and pay GBP 55 more.  Fill in the form online, then print out 13 pages and take them to VFS. Sorry this is now in the wrong forum.

Edited by wgdanson

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If your card is linked to your Flexaccount, then it is a debit card, not a credit card and Nationwide do indeed charge for foreign transactions.

I have both, debit and credit card, but only ever use the credit card for which there is no usage charge, at least not on purchases. The only time my debit card comes out is to access on-line banking.

There IS a usage charge for foreign transactions on a Nationwide Credit Card. You have to éarn' aNon Sterling  allowance and are charged 2% of the purchase cost after that has been deducted.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/fees-charges#xtab:foreignPurchases

28 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

There IS a usage charge for foreign transactions on a Nationwide Credit Card. You have to éarn' aNon Sterling  allowance and are charged 2% of the purchase cost after that has been deducted.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/fees-charges#xtab:foreignPurchases

Ok, I'll acknowledge that and rephrase slightly. There is a potential for card users to be charged if they are a new customer or a light user.

I have never been charged a usage fee on my credit card. I'm sure that that will be because I have long since gone well beyond the minimum spend that they require.

And I do think that we're wandering off topic somewhat!

Edited by Moonlover

Just now, Moonlover said:

Ok, I'll acknowledge that and rephrase slightly. There is a potential for card users to be charged if they are a new customer or a light user.

I have never been charged a usage fee on my credit card. I'm sure that that will be because I have long since gone well beyond the minimum spend that they require.

Maybe your is not a Nationwide one.

1 hour ago, perthperson said:

Check the link and discover the cost of a UK visa --- All charged in US$ if applied or from Thailand. 

https://visa-fees.homeoffice.gov.uk/y/thailand/usd/visit/standard-visitor/all

Thanks for the link… It certainly does states 120$ for a standard short term visa.

I see that at the top of the page it states BETA trial service… I am aware that the FOC is currently in the process of standardising their website so that they look the same throughout the world, with only minimal local info - see the British Embassy Thailand website… There is no logical reason why the UK Government would charge for its services in US$, so I suspect this could be a mistake.  I’ll query this with one of my old colleagues who works in the FOC.

As you are no doubt aware, UK visa applications in Thailand are handled by VFS.GLOBAL.  If you go to their website for Thailand, click on ‘KNOW YOUR VISA TYPE’ and then follow the link on the page to UK Government website for visa and immigration in Thailand, then by inputting Thailand then standard visitor you will go to https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa. At the bottom of this page you will see the visa fees. The cost of a standard visitor visa as £89.  The page was updated 11 July 2017.

2 minutes ago, perthperson said:

No mistake ! It has been challenged and the response (if I remember correctly ) cited that "difficulties" were associated with accepting £sterling or any other currency 

'Someone' is saying that the British Government are having "difficulties" with accepting GBP ?????  Next they will be asking UK citizens to pay their income tax in USD.  I know that the UK is paddling up the preverbal creek with Brexit, but that would be the last straw.

Sorry I've gone off post.  But I will check with my colleague back in the UK.

15 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Thanks for the link… It certainly does states 120$ for a standard short term visa.

I see that at the top of the page it states BETA trial service… I am aware that the FOC is currently in the process of standardising their website so that they look the same throughout the world, with only minimal local info - see the British Embassy Thailand website… There is no logical reason why the UK Government would charge for its services in US$, so I suspect this could be a mistake.  I’ll query this with one of my old colleagues who works in the FOC.

As you are no doubt aware, UK visa applications in Thailand are handled by VFS.GLOBAL.  If you go to their website for Thailand, click on ‘KNOW YOUR VISA TYPE’ and then follow the link on the page to UK Government website for visa and immigration in Thailand, then by inputting Thailand then standard visitor you will go to https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa. At the bottom of this page you will see the visa fees. The cost of a standard visitor visa as £89.  The page was updated 11 July 2017.

The form I have got says USD 119. I went to the site you mention, and see it was last updated in Sept 2016. Must try again...........................................Just done it and do see 89 quid, only USD 116 at todays exchange rate.. Thanks.

Edited by wgdanson